Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 12:08 AM

20 posts, read 95,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Is that rain View Post
Maybe LAPD got em.
lol

r

Old 05-29-2007, 12:11 AM

1,287 posts, read 5,023,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by califantastic View Post
It seems that most of the historically African American neighborhoods in Los Angeles are turning into Hispanic neighborhoods. Even Inglewood has almost as many Hispanics as African Americans now.

The enormous growth in the Hispanic population in these parts of Los Angeles is displacing many African Americans. Which leads to the question: where are all of the African American people going?

Are the African Americans moving to other parts of the US? Other parts of California? The Inland Empire? Middle class suburbs? Doubling and tripling up on living accommodations?

Please give me your opinions about where all the African Americans are going.

It is rather baffling. When I was growing up in LA, all of south LA was predominantly black. Everything south of the 10 fwy from La Cienega to the west all the way to Watts, east of the 110, was black. I recently met a friend's daughter who teaches at Locke High School in Watts and she told me that Locke is now about 70 percent Latino. Stunning, considering that Locke had been a mostly black high school for many, many years. History has a way of repeating itself. When blacks began integrating south LA in the 50s and 60s the whites moved out. Now the same thing is happening again. But this time it's the blacks who are leaving.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:16 AM

Location: Headed to the Shangri-La; The Orange County(Huntington Beach or Mission Viejo) this August!
78 posts, read 469,687 times
PALMDALE

(serious)

Either that, or maybe LAPD did get them..

Old 05-29-2007, 10:35 AM

2 posts, read 8,476 times
Default where are they at?

Hi, I just came across this site, and am wondering the same thing.

I am 'mexican', i guess, can't speak a lick of spanish, though. 3rd generation.

i grew up in LA, carson area in the 70's, now I am in Ohio.
we recently went back to LA to visit and I was amazed at how many 'hispanics' their are in LA.

In the group of friends I grew up with, it was 3-4 white guys, a couple of asians and a samoan or two, and 1-2 mexicans, and 3-4 blacks or African Americans, pretty diverse, we all were great friends.

my African American friend, Terrence, was a great friend, and his mom and dad were like my mom and dad.

So when I recently went back, we went to disneyland, and I am not lying, it was so weird, we stayed 2 days at disney and out of the tens of thousands of people there, I maybe saw 10, YES T-E-N , African Americans.

it was weird, my wife and I asked the same question, where are they at?? I know they live here, somewhere, I grew up with a bunch of them, great friends, and some were middle class, some rich, some poor.

Where are they at? Do they not go to disneyland? well, out of a couple hundred thousand or however many there are, you'd think I'd see more than ten???

or is it becz of the gangs there? i hear there is alot of racial problems and gangs fighting that are hispanic vs black, (it's sad).

i am really curious what is going on, it was just so weird to see or I should say, not to see.

especially coming from Cincinnati, Ohio, where we have, maybe 2% of the population hispanic. and seeing so many hispanics, i felt out of place. :0) and I'm mexican (sort of.)

can someone plz share some insight? Where are all the African Americans in Southern California

thx.

Old 05-29-2007, 10:38 AM

Location: Headed to the Shangri-La; The Orange County(Huntington Beach or Mission Viejo) this August!
78 posts, read 469,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purdyra View Post

Can someone plz share some insight? Where are all the African Americans in Southern California
Did you even read this thread before posting?

Old 05-29-2007, 10:54 AM

1,287 posts, read 5,023,638 times
Make no mistake there are still a lot of blacks in LA and in Socal in general. Just not as heavily concentrated in one geographical area as much as in the past. Blacks are now more dispersed throughout the region as has been noted by previous posters. It's worth noting, however, that LA's more affluent black neighborhoods of Baldwin Hills, Windsor Hills, View Park, and Ladera Heights are still 90 percent black.

Old 05-29-2007, 11:49 AM

2 posts, read 8,476 times
How come I only saw 'maybe' 10 at disneyland? Even one Rich Jamaican gentleman I met, said he noticed the same thing. He was visiting from Atlanta.

Old 05-29-2007, 11:53 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purdyra View Post
How come I only saw 'maybe' 10 at disneyland? Even one Rich Jamaican gentleman I met, said he noticed the same thing. He was visiting from Atlanta.
I don't know. Maybe its a cultural thing and paying $50+ a head to fight crowds in the sun all day isn't their idea of fun. Besides, most locals don't go to Disneyland as much as people think we do so Disneyland's crowd is more reflective of the national and international population than the local.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:42 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Here's an article which lends insight:

http://africanamerica.org/eve/forums/a/ga/ul/7291086633/South_Central_Los_Angeles_Today.doc (broken link)

Old 05-29-2007, 06:01 PM

3 posts, read 17,573 times
Why I'm Black, Not African American
September 8, 2004

By John H Mc Whorter

It's time we descendants of slaves brought to the United States let go of the term "African American" and go back to calling ourselves Black - with a capital B.

Modern America is home now to millions of immigrants who were born in Africa. Their cultures and identities are split between Africa and the United States. They have last names like Onwughalu and Senkofa. They speak languages like Wolof, Twi, Yoruba and Hausa, and speak English with an accent. They were raised on African cuisine, music, dance and dress styles, customs and family dynamics. Their children often speak or at least understand their parents' native language.Moderator cut: provide the link, please

Last edited by Marka; 08-11-2007 at 02:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles