Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 04:45 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,429,591 times

Advertisements

I have heard from many people that LA never really felt like home. I don't think it's a matter of being homesick either. Some places are just like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 04:57 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,569,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Kook View Post
Day 1 for me
Hey! Get back to San Diego!

At a certain age, I don't know if it ever feels like home. I was born and raised in Pennsylvania - - I'll never not be a Pennsylvanian. It is in my blood, it is my mannerisms, it is my likes and dislikes, it's what made me.

With that being said, I'm not homesick endlessly. I miss the fall and all it entails, but I'm happy in San Diego. My kids were born here and other than who they root for in football (they will be Steelers fans or they will be getting the f*** out of my house ), they'll be San Diegans.

California for many is a choice. That choice leads to assimilation. It certainly was easier for me to assimilate to San Diego/California than it was to New England or Virginia (two places I had lived previously) because so many other Californians have done the same.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:04 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,994,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I have heard from many people that LA never really felt like home. I don't think it's a matter of being homesick either. Some places are just like that.

You could say the same thing about everywhere on earth. People feel most comfortable around places that slightly resemble how they personally grow up.

I've heard the same thing in every city I've ever lived in including my current city.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:24 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,724,528 times
I was born and raised in the Northeast, but I never much cared for the brash, surly attitudes; parochial, conformist mindset; short temperaments; aggressive driving habits; judgmental stares and glares; wearing a winter coat from October to May; blizzards; black ice; mosquitoes; seasonal allergies; corruption and cronyism in state and local politics; crude, sarcastic sense of humor (often at the expense of minority groups); general orneriness of the working-class communities and aloofness of the rural areas; etc.

I could go on and on.

To say that I was a fish out of water on the East Coast, despite having grown up there, is a complete understatement.

The best decision I ever made was move to California. I love it here, and felt as if I assimilated overnight. I think that I was one of those souls who was just born in the wrong place - I have a lot more in common with people here than most other places in the US, especially the East Coast.

Needless to say, I've never been homesick for the East Coast, and I have zero desire to ever move back. Ditto a few other friends and acquaintances of mine out here in CA who grew up on the East Coast.

It seems like there were more ex-Nor'easters in Florida who seemed to be "looking back" than in California. YMMV.

But in the little corner of the Northeast where I grew up, if you mentioned to a local that you had just moved there from California or moved back, they would call you crazy.

Old 02-19-2016, 04:40 AM

317 posts, read 403,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
I was born and raised in the Northeast, but I never much cared for the brash, surly attitudes; parochial, conformist mindset; short temperaments; aggressive driving habits; judgmental stares and glares; wearing a winter coat from October to May; blizzards; black ice; mosquitoes; seasonal allergies; corruption and cronyism in state and local politics; crude, sarcastic sense of humor (often at the expense of minority groups); general orneriness of the working-class communities and aloofness of the rural areas; etc.

I could go on and on.

To say that I was a fish out of water on the East Coast, despite having grown up there, is a complete understatement.

The best decision I ever made was move to California. I love it here, and felt as if I assimilated overnight. I think that I was one of those souls who was just born in the wrong place - I have a lot more in common with people here than most other places in the US, especially the East Coast.

Needless to say, I've never been homesick for the East Coast, and I have zero desire to ever move back. Ditto a few other friends and acquaintances of mine out here in CA who grew up on the East Coast.

It seems like there were more ex-Nor'easters in Florida who seemed to be "looking back" than in California. YMMV.

But in the little corner of the Northeast where I grew up, if you mentioned to a local that you had just moved there from California or moved back, they would call you crazy.
Slow clap.

I am also for the north east and feel mostly the same. I really can't say I miss NJ other than my family and friends. I really hope I am not speaking too soon, but the people I work with that are from LA, are much nicer and less judgmental. Other than wishing the people I know are out here, I feel at home. There are so many NJ natives that love their state with such a passion to a point that I could never understand. I love being in California. I hate the snow and brutal cold weather, and I feel like most people there deal with it and learn to convince themselves it's great.

Then again, I guess you could say the same about LA traffic. Although probably not. I think everyone hates it, but the life out here makes up for it..

Old 02-19-2016, 08:31 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,502,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I lived in northern NJ and moved to LA. I actually live in Seattle now but when I left NJ I never looked back. I love L.A. I don't mind visiting NJ but have absolutely no desire to ever live there again.
Can't imagine leaving the northeast (currently in NYC) and wanting to go back! But I guess it all depends on how you feel about it in the first place. I hate it here so....

Old 02-19-2016, 08:32 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,502,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post

I could go on and on.

THIS!!!! I could have written it seriously. Except for the part where you actually live where I want to LOL

Old 02-19-2016, 08:34 AM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,429,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
You could say the same thing about everywhere on earth. People feel most comfortable around places that slightly resemble how they personally grow up.

I've heard the same thing in every city I've ever lived in including my current city.
I've only heard it about LA. Never had a problem anywhere else.

Old 02-19-2016, 09:38 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,994,564 times
Quote:
You don't think people have ever felt that way about another city--just L.A.? L.A. is the only city people don't feel like they fit in.....Highly doubt that....

Old 02-19-2016, 10:01 AM

160 posts, read 148,746 times
Quote:
This makes absolutely no sense. You have a very strange view of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles