Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 02:59 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,468,305 times

Advertisements

I moved from PA to CA 14 years ago. Married here, had 2 kids, a couple promotions and a job change, bought a house, more friends here then anyplace I've ever been. But CA STILL doesn't feel like home. It's OK, has its ups and owns, just like anyplace. But I still am not used to 60 degree Christmases, no leaves in the fall, the overcrowding, traffic, lack of trees, flaky people, etc.,etc.

It's nice when I can go for a walk on a january evening or hit the beach for Halloween, But it ain't home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 03:17 PM

749 posts, read 1,790,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
It took me 6 months of living in LA to stop being homesick for Boston. And a year in total for it to feel more like "home." I lived in SoCal for 8 years. My husband & I moved away for various reasons. Now we're living back in Boston and we're totally homesick for LA. We're moving back this fall.

As for east coasters being more "real" than people on the west coast (which I've heard a LOT)... I haven't found that to be true, at all. More rude? Definitely. But being abrupt, cold, & rude doesn't make you more "real," in my opinion. I can't wait to go back to SoCal.
Great post! We didn't move as far east as you but we have ran into the same thing in Nashville. We are working at getting back to California also. We moved 2 years ago and it seems like 10 years ago. Good luck on your move back.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:54 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,961,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post

As for east coasters being more "real" than people on the west coast (which I've heard a LOT)... I haven't found that to be true, at all. More rude? Definitely. But being abrupt, cold, & rude doesn't make you more "real," in my opinion. I can't wait to go back to SoCal.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:55 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,021,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
The OP sounds like a "Snooki" (Jersey Shore)type chick. I just can't see her being happy in San Dimas.
I can't believe you would say such a thing. I am so non-"Snooky" it isn't even funny. I don't think Snooky and I are even on the same planet. In fact I don't think she's on the same planet as anybody. What a hurtful thing to say. I have said since the very beginning of this thread that there are great things about the west coast. I wasn't spiteful. There is NO point to your comment here except to inflame and to make someone feel upset and hurt. I had to say it...there was nothing helpful about your post, period, nor was there anything accurate. I think you just wanted to be nasty to someone and I drew the short straw.

ETA: Oh, sorry. I just peeked back at some of your snipes at other posters and I see now that this is just your style on CD (can't say it's your "style" in general as I don't know you as a person) so I won't be taking this personally. Sounds like you're maybe a bit unhappy yourself but I'll leave this as is for now...having read previous commentary (particularly against east-coasters) I understand a bit better now.

Last edited by JerZ; 03-03-2010 at 05:16 PM..

Old 03-03-2010, 04:56 PM

This thread is so old now...I was pretty surprised to see it back at the top of the page! Thanks again for everyone's answers. So funny to see this come back!!

Old 03-03-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
I moved from PA to CA 14 years ago. Married here, had 2 kids, a couple promotions and a job change, bought a house, more friends here then anyplace I've ever been. But CA STILL doesn't feel like home. It's OK, has its ups and owns, just like anyplace. But I still am not used to 60 degree Christmases, no leaves in the fall, the overcrowding, traffic, lack of trees, flaky people, etc.,etc.

It's nice when I can go for a walk on a january evening or hit the beach for Halloween, But it ain't home.
Will you be staying then, hon? Or will you eventually be moving back? How do you reconcile it not feeling like home since you have so many roots here now? Just curious how you've handled all this...thanks for the post!

Old 03-03-2010, 05:01 PM

((Vaborn)) Okay...your post is makin' me cry. Thanks for the kind words!

dogmom...I actually LOVE San Dimas...and the more I see of it the more I love it! I don't live in San Dimas. I live in Glendora. Towns differ a lot here from one another...it's really interesting. I also love parts of Claremont. I'm not sure whether they "feel like home" or anything because I haven't lived in them but you're right, some beautiful areas there.

irmsd, all this time later, I don't think I could reassimilate (gahhhh-sp?) into the east coast either. I just...don't. But I still miss seasons; that whole vibe. I'm at a really "torn" point here but I haven't said any more about it in...I don't know, a really long time, I guess. I know I've stated several times (and even did a couple of years ago on this thread) that there are definitely things to like about the west. Anyway, I was so surprised to see this thread pop back up! And thanks for your input!

Old 03-03-2010, 05:43 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,468,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Will you be staying then, hon? Or will you eventually be moving back? How do you reconcile it not feeling like home since you have so many roots here now? Just curious how you've handled all this...thanks for the post!
My wife has always kept us here. She's a CA girl w/ her family all here. But times change and I am now the sole breadwinner. We may be pulling up stakes to advance my career in the not to distant future. Probably won't end up all the way back east to PA, but leaving CA is probably coming soon.

As far as it not feeling like home, I found a good cheesesteak place, manipulate my business travel to go back east in the fall to get some color, and catch every steelers game I can on the tube. Plus I ty to enjoy the things my life in CA offers - go to the beach, In & Out, evening walks & an occasional golf outing in the winter, taking my kids to the park all year long,etc. and appreciate those as much as I can.

Also, I come on to C-D to plot my escape....

Old 03-03-2010, 08:46 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,276,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
((Vaborn)) Okay...your post is makin' me cry. Thanks for the kind words!

dogmom...I actually LOVE San Dimas...and the more I see of it the more I love it! I don't live in San Dimas. I live in Glendora. Towns differ a lot here from one another...it's really interesting. I also love parts of Claremont. I'm not sure whether they "feel like home" or anything because I haven't lived in them but you're right, some beautiful areas there.

irmsd, all this time later, I don't think I could reassimilate (gahhhh-sp?) into the east coast either. I just...don't. But I still miss seasons; that whole vibe. I'm at a really "torn" point here but I haven't said any more about it in...I don't know, a really long time, I guess. I know I've stated several times (and even did a couple of years ago on this thread) that there are definitely things to like about the west. Anyway, I was so surprised to see this thread pop back up! And thanks for your input!
JerZ, wow this is one old thread! How are you doing, we lived in Glendora for a few years, its a nice residential town..

We actually sold our home in southern Utah in August of 2008...it was just TOO different for us..we moved for a year to our little mobile home in WA state to get our 'bearings' and last June we bought this house we are in now, near Palm Springs...as much as I would have loved to come back closer to Claremont area, the money for us was not there..but we are fine here, we are closer again to our older son in Lake Elsinore and life long friends who are now in Corona..

Glad you are settled and liking your area..it takes some time like I said...southern Utah was so extremely different culturally than what we grew up with that it would not have worked for us ever..

Good to hear from you!

Old 03-03-2010, 09:50 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,961,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
But I still am not used to 60 degree Christmases
I consider 60 degree Christmases a gift. It's the 80 degree ones that I can't stand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles