Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2019, 03:15 PM

396 posts, read 664,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screenwriter70 View Post
I'd say all Southern states are miserable, followed by the Northeast & most of the Midwest. The only states I am considering living in are western: Nevada, California, Colorado, Washington, Oregon, and maybe New Mexico. If it weren't for religion, I would add Utah to the list. For now, it's the CA desert followed by Nye county.
One needs to look at specific areas of each state. I live in Alabama, one of the lowest ranking states in the nation. But I live in Huntsville. One of the highest rated cities in the nation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2019, 04:38 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,377,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denofhc View Post
One needs to look at specific areas of each state. I live in Alabama, one of the lowest ranking states in the nation. But I live in Huntsville. One of the highest rated cities in the nation
I agree, Huntsville is very good area. And there are some places in the bottom 3 states - AL, MS and LA - that are very decent although much of each of those states leaves something to be desired. We really liked Louisiana when we lived there and have considered having a second house in that area.

Old 11-01-2019, 03:28 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,076,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
Tom, I completely agree. We are highly taxed in Louisiana and do not see the benefits for that. I have always wondered, where is our money going?

I think like any big city, stay away from the poor parts, especially at night, and there is a chance nothing negative will occur. Be aware and vigilant of your surroundings as well.

Tom and Matt
:
Louisiana residents are overtaxed because the oil refining, and natural gas extraction industries have been getting away with "murder" for many decades, in the form of almost total exemption from taxation. Louisiana is truly unique in having a state-wide board of good-ole-boys with the power to withhold corporate taxes from parishes (counties). No other state has such a board.

The neighboring state of Texas does not do this with their refineries. They are taxed normally.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=RWTic9btP38

Old 02-02-2020, 05:45 AM

1,982 posts, read 973,595 times
I agree that our taxes are high because of corporate tax breaks. It's hard for those to go away because they create lots of jobs, population increases, and business for the locals. I work in the petrochemical industry and understand that very well. Louisiana has already lost a lot more opportunities to Texas, because as you state, they offer superior tax incentives.

Old 03-31-2020, 03:39 PM

180 posts, read 215,245 times
I always tell folks that Louisiana is what it took to make me miss Afghanistan. lol

That state is just not for me in the least. Nothing but misery and stink everywhere you go.

Too damn hot, too damn humid, too damn many venomous things, too damn many massive bugs, too damn much shellfish food...

If I never go back, it'll be too soon! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screenwriter70 View Post
I'd say all Southern states are miserable, followed by the Northeast & most of the Midwest. The only states I am considering living in are western: Nevada, California, Colorado, Washington, Oregon, and maybe New Mexico. If it weren't for religion, I would add Utah to the list. For now, it's the CA desert followed by Nye county.
I'm right there with ya - though I prefer it further north. Wyoming/Montana/Idaho.

Old 03-31-2020, 05:20 PM

6,632 posts, read 4,302,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CybrSlydr View Post
I always tell folks that Louisiana is what it took to make me miss Afghanistan. lol

That state is just not for me in the least. Nothing but misery and stink everywhere you go.

Too damn hot, too damn humid, too damn many venomous things, too damn many massive bugs, too damn much shellfish food...

If I never go back, it'll be too soon! lol

I'm right there with ya - though I prefer it further north. Wyoming/Montana/Idaho.

Completely disagree on your assessment of Louisiana. It is hot and humid, and yes we have bugs and snakes. But the good things far outweigh the bad, including fabulous food (best in the nation), culture, friendly people, mild winter climate, etc. Everywhere has pros and cons, including the states you mentioned in the western U.S. With that said, I much prefer the southern part of the state.

Old 03-31-2020, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Completely disagree on your assessment of Louisiana. It is hot and humid, and yes we have bugs and snakes. But the good things far outweigh the bad, including fabulous food (best in the nation), culture, friendly people, mild winter climate, etc. Everywhere has pros and cons, including the states you mentioned in the western U.S. With that said, I much prefer the southern part of the state.
The one and only thing I miss about Louisiana is the proximity to fishing holes and such. Unfortunately, I didn't fish when I was in Louisiana and picked it up after I got out. That's when I learned how many great fishing spots I was near when I was there.

Old 03-31-2020, 05:39 PM

8,498 posts, read 4,741,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookintomove15 View Post
So, here we have this s*!thole of a state. Who in the hell would want to live in this dump of Louisiana??

It has the nation's highest murder rate -

Why Is The Murder Rate High In Louisiana - Business Insider

It has the nation's and the WORLD'S highest incarceration rate -

Louisiana is the world's prison capital | NOLA.com

It's among the worst of all states in it's mortality rate -

12 Deadliest States With The Highest Mortality Rates - Insider Monkey

And it's poverty rate is off the charts -

Poverty rate stuck at record 46.5 million; Louisiana has 2nd highest rate

I think a better state to live in instead of Louisiana would be like Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Maine!!
I mean...as a truck driver I have some reasons to hate Louisiana. The roads are among the worst anywhere and truck stops tend to be run-down.

But the southern part of the state can be charming, really unique vibe. Strong pride in its unique heritage, heck, state law is even based in part in the Napoleonic code. Surprising amount of industry (admittedly mostly related to oil industry).

No, Louisiana isn’t a place I’d necessarily choose to live, but there’s less appealing places than Louisiana.

Old 03-31-2020, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I mean...as a truck driver I have some reasons to hate Louisiana. The roads are among the worst anywhere and truck stops tend to be run-down.
This is SO TRUE.

When I was driving down to Polk from Ohio, the ramp to get off I-20 on to 133 was so bad that one of the ignition coils in my engine popped out!

I had to limp to a store to buy some tools so I could get to the spark plugs and push the ignition coil back in.

Absolutely unreal.

Old 03-31-2020, 05:57 PM

8,498 posts, read 4,741,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CybrSlydr View Post
This is SO TRUE.

When I was driving down to Polk from Ohio, the ramp to get off I-20 on to 133 was so bad that one of the ignition coils in my engine popped out!

I had to limp to a store to buy some tools so I could get to the spark plugs and push the ignition coil back in.

Absolutely unreal.
Yup. It’s a top three state for overall bad road conditions in the US, as far as I’m concerned. Jarring a coil off a plug? Idk, it was probably ready to give way already. But that’s not to downplay how bad the roads are. They are truly dreadful, though some roads are better than others. A bit like Oklahoma. Your neighbor Indiana is more consistently bad than anywhere I’ve seen in the US, but lacks the abjectly terrible parts of those other states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana