Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2019, 11:23 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,326,525 times

Advertisements

ive been through Denver and Colorado Springs, and even on the east coast some very nice places in NOVA and Maryland but it doesnt seem that much better than Louisiana life. I mean theres more scenic diversity and nicer weather. The people REALLY suck though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2019, 06:23 AM

17,622 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
ive been through Denver and Colorado Springs, and even on the east coast some very nice places in NOVA and Maryland but it doesnt seem that much better than Louisiana life. I mean theres more scenic diversity and nicer weather. The people REALLY suck though.
I love living in Louisiana but like all other places there are things about the state I would like to see changed. First issue I have is state and local politicians corruption. It seems as if they’re more concerned with enriching themselves and holding onto their powerful position instead of doing what is right for the community they were elected to represent. This manifest itself through conditions of roads, budget, drainage, and other municipal problems. They keep getting re-elected thanks to “chicken in every pot” style campaigning. Another issue I have is the culture of alcohol. There are still a large segment of the population who look upon drinking and driving as a social norm. These people seem to think they HAVE to drink alcohol at any and all events even if they’re going to drive home afterwards. I’m 50 and I do see some cultural changes from times past but it’s just so frustrating that the same “good ole boy” network politics are still in office among both the old and new politicians. Local society has turned more against drunk driving but it still happens too often, made worse with recent immigrants from south of the USA border.

Old 08-29-2019, 10:42 AM

712 posts, read 1,093,044 times
Quote:
I can mostly agree with this. There are a few suburban towns that are exceptions though.

Old 08-29-2019, 11:30 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,326,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDatInMD View Post
I can mostly agree with this. There are a few suburban towns that are exceptions though.
St Marys county is wonderful. best part of Maryland

Old 08-29-2019, 11:51 AM

32,937 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I'd say that Denham Springs, Central, and Watson are the perfect image of the American suburban ideal.

Ponchatoula and St. Francisville are the perfect Norman Rockwell like small town.

New Jersey is the worst state in America. California is not a good place to live but they do have a lot of places worth visiting and a lot of natural beauty. New York at least has Manhattan which is worth visiting even if I would never live there. But New Jersey is just filled with crime-ridden cities, decaying industries, overcrowded suburbs and traffic chocked highways with ridiculous tolls.

LOL Sounds like someone gave you the list of places to avoid and you thought that you'd go and have a look.

Old 08-29-2019, 10:08 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I love living in Louisiana but like all other places there are things about the state I would like to see changed. First issue I have is state and local politicians corruption. It seems as if they’re more concerned with enriching themselves and holding onto their powerful position instead of doing what is right for the community they were elected to represent. This manifest itself through conditions of roads, budget, drainage, and other municipal problems. They keep getting re-elected thanks to “chicken in every pot” style campaigning. Another issue I have is the culture of alcohol. There are still a large segment of the population who look upon drinking and driving as a social norm. These people seem to think they HAVE to drink alcohol at any and all events even if they’re going to drive home afterwards. I’m 50 and I do see some cultural changes from times past but it’s just so frustrating that the same “good ole boy” network politics are still in office among both the old and new politicians. Local society has turned more against drunk driving but it still happens too often, made worse with recent immigrants from south of the USA border.
Drinking culture is definitely stronger in the southern part of the state compared to Central and North Louisiana. Within South Louisiana, Livingston Parish is very strict on DUIs and police are always out everywhere. The more Baptist parts of the state are obviously more strict about alcohol than the more Catholic parts.

Old 08-29-2019, 10:12 PM

Quote:
St Marys county is wonderful. best part of Maryland
Lake Pontchartrain actually reminds me of the Chesapeake Bay. And there are actually many similarities between New Orleans and Baltimore including the industrial nature, the old infrastructure, etc. Also Louisiana is also famous for crabcakes. I lived in Baltimore County before moving back home to Louisiana and I do believe Louisiana seafood is far superior. Something about Westwego actually reminds me of Dundalk.

I've also lived in West Virginia which is amazing people with wonderful, hardworking, friendly down to Earth people but the economy there is just terrible because of Obama and the war on coal. Hence a reason I came back to Louisiana.

On a 95 degree day here, I can still go for a walk outdoors, walk to the mailboxes at the front of my neighborhood, I'd go for a swim outside and besides it does cool down at night. When its 35 degrees or colder consistently in Maryland or WV I'm miserable. I do NOT miss temperatures getting into the 20s in Baltimore and the teens and even single digits in Charleston WV.

In terms of friendliness, I feel there is a lot more Southern hospitality in southern WV than in Baton Rouge, but Charleston WV is a significantly smaller city than Baton Rouge and where I used to live was rural. There's still plenty of Southern hospitality in Louisiana once you get into the smaller towns. Even so, Baton Rouge is friendlier than Baltimore (which is friendly by Northeast standards esp compared to New Jersey and New York and Boston) and its not hard for a newcomer to make friends. While I already have friends here in Louisiana I've met a lot of new friends just in the neighborhood.

I'll admit South Louisiana isn't as scenic as the hills and mountains of West Virginia though the pine forests and bayous have their own charm. However Louisiana does get more beautiful in the central and northern parts of the state. I really love the Kitsachie National Forest/Kincaid Lake and Indian Creek outside Alexandria. As for beaches, I have to say Maryland's Ocean City, and sadly even the Jersey Shore is prettier than Grand Isle or Holly Beach. But we're very close to Pensacola and Gulf Shores some of the finest beaches in the world.

Old 08-29-2019, 10:23 PM

Now compared to other states in the SOUTH, Louisiana is overtaxed and overregulated, two things that I believe is holding us back from our full potential. Especially compared to Georgia, North Carolina, and Texas. The Obamacare Medicaid expansion was also a mistake that is a burden on taxpayers and businesses and this was never a thing in Georgia or Texas.

Some people have a poor view of New Orleans but despite NO having bad parts and high crime, the feeling of crime and decay is not as pervasive there as in many other cities like Baltimore, Philadelphia, Newark, etc. Many parts of NO feel completely safe, while no part of Baltimore felt safe to me. New Orleans's bad parts seen more hidden away while in Baltimore the entire city feels bad.

Old 08-30-2019, 08:12 AM

1,982 posts, read 973,595 times
Tom, I completely agree. We are highly taxed in Louisiana and do not see the benefits for that. I have always wondered, where is our money going?

I think like any big city, stay away from the poor parts, especially at night, and there is a chance nothing negative will occur. Be aware and vigilant of your surroundings as well.

Old 08-30-2019, 09:36 AM

2,284 posts, read 1,584,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I'd say that Denham Springs, Central, and Watson are the perfect image of the American suburban ideal.

Ponchatoula and St. Francisville are the perfect Norman Rockwell like small town.

After living in West Virginia in a very rural, blue collar area before moving back to Louisiana I also really love some parts of Louisiana that some folks look down on like Oakdale, Pineville, and Monroe. IN fact I would probably rather live in these places than the Baton Rouge area at this point. Now, Denham Springs and especially Watson just feel a little TOO perfect and polished. I'm always told I would have liked the old Livingston Parish before all this overdevelopment.

But yes the BR area and Lake Charles are still booming, unlike Northern states that people are fleeing in droves with communities emptying out and in sharp decline especially places like Michigan, northern Ohio, large portions of New Jersey and New York State.

Louisiana is my favorite state in the nation, followed by West Virginia, Tennessee, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, and Colorado. Virginia is good outside of NOVA. Texas is good outside the Mexican border region.

New Jersey is the worst state in America. California is not a good place to live but they do have a lot of places worth visiting and a lot of natural beauty. New York at least has Manhattan which is worth visiting even if I would never live there. But New Jersey is just filled with crime-ridden cities, decaying industries, overcrowded suburbs and traffic chocked highways with ridiculous tolls.
After driving through Louisiana from Florida, Louisiana drivers on I-10 are consistently the worst speed-demon tailgate drivers. Texas is next. Hey, what can I say, I am from California where they leave a car and a half distance in front and stop for rain sprinkles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana