Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 07:26 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,975,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCmetroguy View Post
Houston, New Orleans, and Austin are all "gay friendly" southern cities right here in this region. A person would have no problem in any of those cities. In fact it's really easy in those cities to forget you're in the "good ol' south." Thank goodness...
Please, Austin - where I lived for a total of 22 years - is not really part of the "good ol' South", nor is most of Texas outside of the eastern third or quarter of the state.

Lots of stereotyping of gay people going on here, which tells one something about Louisiana. Also a cavalier attitude expressed about conditions for the African-American population. Louisiana isn't the only Southern state with a large black population. Just because all African-Americans in the state didn't up and leave doesn't mean that there isn't considerable attitudinal and institutionally entrenched racism. And I know something about the state first hand: I've lived in Monroe. What I would agree is that northern LA is backwards compared to N.O.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 05:13 AM

5,790 posts, read 3,596,781 times
As for the anti-Asian racism part -- I'm sure it is true, but it's not the norm. The small NE La town I grew up in has a few Asians, but very well-established in the community (multi-generational, own the largest grocery store in town for decades). One of them even was on the town council for several years, and elected from the overwhelmingly "white" part besides. Maybe that small N. La town is unique, but I'd hardly call acceptance of Asians a rarity.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:12 PM

1 posts, read 7,100 times
Default What are the gay friendly neighborhoods?

I am moving to shreveport next year and I would like to know the best neighborhood for my partner and I to move to. Any help??

Old 09-14-2010, 06:59 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,019,807 times
Try the Highlands, Daisy. That is Highland-Noso-S. Highlands. I know some gay people who live in these neighborhoods. You can live anywhere in S-BC for that matter, but this area is more urban and older than most. They have some cool old homes-just remember that neighborhood crime conditions are block by block around there; especially in Highland. Personally I haven't heard about any gay hate crimes around here.

Old 09-16-2010, 04:52 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,352,993 times
I don't understand all of this paranoia by gays , just because it's " the South " .
Ya'll have been watching too much television or something .

Old 09-16-2010, 05:03 AM

23,212 posts, read 29,023,557 times
Just remember, there are Gay people that are not all that Gay-friendly to other Gay people. And there's Black people not friendly to other Black people.
And Jewish people not friendly to other Jewish People. And Mexicans who are not friendly to other Mexican people.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:05 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,019,807 times
So true^^

Old 05-22-2011, 04:49 PM

1 posts, read 6,674 times
I moved to Baton Rouge 1 year ago. I am a 49 year out (been out) guy. I thought I'd get here make some friends and have fun. Not so,,if you are a older guy in a college town you can't be seen. I drive to 1 gay Bar,,I think it's a gay bar, Splash and was ,,well, less than greeted. The gay student groups on campus are not any help. It seems I'm to old and therefore I cannot be a part..So much for the Spectrum name (lol) if anyone can offer advice email me @ [email]rbrow64@tigers.lsu.edu[/email] or you might text me @ 225-819-6837.

Old 05-22-2011, 05:06 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,288,860 times
Splash is aimed at younger people. Also, many nights they have themes, which embraces more than gays and lesbians, which may have been the reason for the stares. At 49, honestly, you don't fit in as a student.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:56 AM

49 posts, read 135,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
You need to consider that about 40% of Louisiana is black population. It is a far greater percentage than most states. Because of this, there is definitely a degree of racism by default. however, what it also means is that Louisiana is more tolerant of other races as a society by necessity. If we were truly a state of racists, then 40% black population could not live here. Yet they go about their lives every day side by side with white people and other races. There is a lack of subrbs in most places in Louisiana, owing to the fact that whites have generally accepted blacks and learned to live in the same areas.

Similarly, I see gay couples around Lafayette sometimes and I have friends who are gay or lesbian and from what Ive experienced from being around them, nobody really seems to care. They certainly are not ridiculed for it. In fact, I work with a gay man whose companion comes to the office to visit occasionally.
We lived in Jefferson Parish last year and noticed that most, if not all the prejudice that we encountered was at the hands of black people. My mom speaks with an accent as she comes from the Caribbean and the women at the Workforce office most of the time were very unhelpful until they saw a black or white person walk in there. Shopping was awkward as the retail help would ignore or give us lackluster service in favor of other black and white shoppers. Our relations with white people could go either way (reticiency and reserve to friendliness and hospitality), but I don't recall dealing with open prejudice regardless of how they actually felt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana