Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 08:50 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,055,218 times

Advertisements

What is the city doing to clean up those trashy areas. Downtown has no skyscraper for a city its size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 12:43 PM

33 posts, read 161,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonreadhead View Post
I'm going to be in Lafayette in a couple weeks scoping the area out for a possible move in a year's time. What is the Camellia Blvd Corridor?

Thanks,
Scott
Here is a some pictures on how the Camellia Blvd looks in ceartain areas.. Mixed residential and commerce living sometimes in the same building really nice, but very pricey in most areas......
Attached Thumbnails
Lafayette was a dump-bl010132.jpg   Lafayette was a dump-n629135151_1612893_7513-1-.jpg   Lafayette was a dump-nightshot.jpg  

Old 07-11-2009, 06:22 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,329,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
What is the city doing to clean up those trashy areas. Downtown has no skyscraper for a city its size.
Some people are just trashy. There are street sweepers out and about and I see them every day, but people down here are sometimes just trashy and dont care how it affects others. Elsewhere when I visit I notice that a lot of the suburbs are segregated and very few of the lower class trashier people can afford to live there and trash up the place. Here all classes are mixed in the same city within a few miles. Commuting is short and there is a lack of urban sprawl beyond the southside. The city has to cope with a lot of problematic people as well as law abiding ones, which I noticed was absent up in Fairfax for example because those areas are too expensie for such people to live or visit. The result is a much cleaner, safer place. The tradeoff is severe urban sprawl and all the hidden environmental, logistical, and economic problems that causes. Those troubled people still exist, but they are inner city up there, hidden from view and largely ignored. Lafayette isnt built or expanding the same way. We have to face those people every day. there is no escaping dealing with them and their garbage.
As for skyscrapers, I have often wondered about this, but I think Lafayette business has room to grow around the city without having to build up. there is still a lot of buildable land around the city, but also the ground is very soft and skyscrapers require a solid bedrock foundation to drive pilings. As a result, no building here is very tall. We cant have basements due to the water table being so high. I think people try to directly compare cities like Lafayette with other areas with different circumstances without taking into account our geography and the demographics of this area.

Old 07-11-2009, 06:37 PM

furthermore to give you an idea of how quickly this area is beginning to grow here is a list of some things that have been built in the past few years:
Verot VIllage shopping center
Izzo's illegal Burrito
Sephora and an Acdian Sportsmens store in the mall
2 new Walgreens
FM Bank
Warehouse District Lofts near the University
new Performing Arts Center
Wingate Hotel
new subdivision in nearby Carencro
$200 million Lourdes Regional Medical Center
Burger Smith
River Ranch/Main Street Annex
new Shopping center on the Northside with a large Target, JCPenney, PetSmart, Chik Fil A, Taco Bell, and many other stores
Library Renovation at the old location as well as a new one built further south
the largest Academy store in the entire chain
Baby and Me Boutique
another damned Raisin Kane's
and just today another shopping area was announced on Westmark that will have some upscale shopping

This is all in a city of about 120k people.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:02 PM

420 posts, read 479,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
furthermore to give you an idea of how quickly this area is beginning to grow here is a list of some things that have been built in the past few years:
Izzo's illegal Burrito
2 new Walgreens
FM Bank
Wingate Hotel
Burger Smith
new Shopping center on the Northside with a large Target, JCPenney, PetSmart, Chik Fil A, Taco Bell, and many other stores
Baby and Me Boutique
and just today another shopping area was announced on Westmark that will have some upscale shopping

I really hate to be negative but.......are most of those things something very special or progressive. Those are all chain restaurants, well known retail stores that most people expect you to have already.

I havent been to Lafayette in a few years, but I heard a few things that are truly impressive. The apts, neighborhoods, and homes there and the ones being built there are a site to see, like those pics posted above in a few post before mines. Im more impressive by landscape, scenery, the uniqueness, the overwhelming personal atmosphere that hits you soon as you get to a place.

Lafayette people "dump the trashs" and tell us whats incredible. Things I know though is the cajun culture, the festivals and nightlife, and the incredible homes but is that enough to "hmmm" the average tourist or potential new resident?

Im interested, but dam, I neva knew this thread would make it six pages (whew) dump the trash already will ya. Lafayette's cool!!

Old 07-11-2009, 07:04 PM

211 posts, read 566,639 times
Innotech and Bel et Intelligent,

Thanks for the clarification. I'll pass by that area when I'm there in a few days. I haven't been to Lafayette since 1991. I'm dying to see how it's changed!!

Scott

Old 07-11-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUISIANA'SLEGEND View Post
I really hate to be negative but.......are most of those things something very special or progressive. Those are all chain restaurants, well known retail stores that most people expect you to have already.

I havent been to Lafayette in a few years, but I heard a few things that are truly impressive. The apts, neighborhoods, and homes there and the ones being built there are a site to see, like those pics posted above in a few post before mines. Im more impressive by landscape, scenery, the uniqueness, the overwhelming personal atmosphere that hits you soon as you get to a place.

Lafayette people "dump the trashs" and tell us whats incredible. Things I know though is the cajun culture, the festivals and nightlife, and the incredible homes but is that enough to "hmmm" the average tourist or potential new resident?

Im interested, but dam, I neva knew this thread would make it six pages (whew) dump the trash already will ya. Lafayette's cool!!
The point is not that these particular things are progressive, but that Lafayette is growing quickly and is beginning to attract high tech jobs and wealthier people. In that way it IS progressive in ways. Its not progressive as you would think of for example, Socal. Louisiana is too traditional for that.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:20 PM

33 posts, read 161,776 times
Quote:
Izzo's illegal Burrito
2 new Walgreens
FM Bank
Wingate Hotel
Burger Smith
Baby and Me Boutique

LOL im with you innotech if I see another dam raisin canes im going to throw up.. Is it really that good DAM... Between Broussard to Opelousas what they have 5 of them now.. I must be missing something. What is Burger Smith? And Izzo's illegal Burrito will that be kind of like chipotle like they have in Texas, if so sign me up that place is GREAT..

Old 07-12-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bel et Intelligent View Post
LOL im with you innotech if I see another dam raisin canes im going to throw up.. Is it really that good DAM... Between Broussard to Opelousas what they have 5 of them now.. I must be missing something. What is Burger Smith? And Izzo's illegal Burrito will that be kind of like chipotle like they have in Texas, if so sign me up that place is GREAT..
Actually, when we were coming back from Virginia, we stopped at a place called Guthries chicken fingers just over the border in Mississippi. I found that place to be almost exactly like Kane's, except with better sauce and tastier chicken. It makes me wonder which of the franchises came first.
Guthrie's seems to be limited to Ms, AL, TN, and Va.

Old 07-12-2009, 01:33 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,690,922 times
Quote:
Actually, when we were coming back from Virginia, we stopped at a place called Guthries chicken fingers just over the border in Mississippi. I found that place to be almost exactly like Kane's, except with better sauce and tastier chicken. It makes me wonder which of the franchises came first.
Guthrie's seems to be limited to Ms, AL, TN, and Va.
There's another place in the southeast called Zaxby's that is almost exactly like Raisin Cane's.

I do love me some Cane's, however. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana