Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2009, 04:40 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,488,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoreeGal View Post
My question is aren't people concerned about lack of zoning unless you are in the River Ranch area. I was scared to buy a house backing to a vacant property. I also would like to know why there are no planned subidivisions with pools and tennis courts. This is weird. Also why can't they stop having mobile homes and repair shops beside supposedly nice areas. I just do not get it coming from an area that has brick walls, gated entries and wonderful amenities. These 5 street tracts in the middle of nowhere is unusual. And the other unusal thing no one seems to care if they back to electrical pole wires aren't people worried about electromagnetic fields.

For such a proclaimed city, this place is too country for me but my husband's job is there and no option.
Wow, where are you from? Welcome to S. Louisiana, I guess.

I live and an area of 1 million + people where little tract housing exists or is in demand. With the exception of the Northshore, planned subdivisions and areas with walls and cul de sacs are viewed as being undesirable and pretentious for the most part. People here see that as generic and cultureless.

I believe that the type of development that you're used to is popular or is picking up in Baton Rouge, but I can't speak for anything outside of my area. I assume Lafayette will be more like NOLA in this department, however. Don't expect "subdivisions" in any city that has a deep history or prides itself on culture or any major southern or northeastern city until you get into the far suburbs, except in Georgia or North Carolina where the entire city is usually a large suburb or overly sprawly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 05:00 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,052,777 times
I would love to know the city planned developments. This city marketed itself as the progressive but I saw very little when I was there

Old 07-15-2009, 05:03 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,052,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post

I live and an area of 1 million + people where little tract housing exists or is in demand. With the exception of the Northshore, planned subdivisions and areas with walls and cul de sacs are viewed as being undesirable and pretentious for the most part. People here see that as generic and cultureless.

I believe that the type of development that you're used to is popular or is picking up in Baton Rouge, but I can't speak for anything outside of my area. I assume Lafayette will be more like NOLA in this department, however. Don't expect "subdivisions" in any city that has a deep history or prides itself on culture or any major southern or northeastern city until you get into the far suburbs, except in Georgia or North Carolina where the entire city is usually a large suburb or overly sprawly.
There is definitely a demand for affordable housing in NOLA. I notice the Westbank has very few modern shopping centers like they do here in San Antonio or Austin

Old 07-15-2009, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
There is definitely a demand for affordable housing in NOLA. I notice the Westbank has very few modern shopping centers like they do here in San Antonio or Austin
There is a demand for housing in New Orleans, period. Just not the type of tract housing that GoreeGirl is referring to, and that type of housing isn't necessarily affordable. There is no such thing as affordable housing in NOLA anymore no matter what style.

The westbank is nothing but strip malls and parking lots. If it weren't for the traits that identify it as Louisiana, I would swear Jefferson Parish was just a crowded part of Harris County. What part did you see?

Last edited by WestbankNOLA; 07-15-2009 at 05:23 AM..

Old 07-15-2009, 06:03 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,327,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post

This is quite true. That sort of thing is seen in a negative light a lot of the time because it almost seems wasteful and unimaginative to live like that. There are actually several very nice subdivisionsl ike that around town but mostly it is the older style of subdivisions where you actually have a yard and space to move around. Broadmoor for example, is a great little community that has a lot of walkers, youth sports, and nice schools without being pretentious about it like River ranch.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:19 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,241,105 times
I have lived in Lafayette and New Orleans... and for ANYONE from New Orleans to refer to another city as a dump is the most *****ing hypocritical thing I have ever heard in my entire life, and I am old.

New Orleans stinks even on a good day. It has DECADES more decay and the smell of urine is the fragrance that the Quarter is known for.

Really, get a clue. New Orleans is the town of yats who re elected Nagin the coward.
Goodness gracious. Wtf is up with that.

Before you bash on a nice town like Lafayette I would look in the mirror because you are clearly projecting.

New Orleans is a sewer. Don't get me wrong. I love the history, culture, food and music... for those reasons Nawlins is a GREAT place but it is a p.hucking dump and the citizens ALLOW it to be that way... and if you reside there and do not admit that you are dishonest or deluded. Which is it?

Old 07-15-2009, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacalaitWhisperer View Post
I have lived in Lafayette and New Orleans... and for ANYONE from New Orleans to refer to another city as a dump is the most *****ing hypocritical thing I have ever heard in my entire life, and I am old.

New Orleans stinks even on a good day. It has DECADES more decay and the smell of urine is the fragrance that the Quarter is known for.

Really, get a clue. New Orleans is the town of yats who re elected Nagin the coward.
Goodness gracious. Wtf is up with that.

Before you bash on a nice town like Lafayette I would look in the mirror because you are clearly projecting.

New Orleans is a sewer. Don't get me wrong. I love the history, culture, food and music... for those reasons Nawlins is a GREAT place but it is a p.hucking dump and the citizens ALLOW it to be that way... and if you reside there and do not admit that you are dishonest or deluded. Which is it?
What are you talking about. Way out of pocket, you should actually read a post before you reply. It'll make you sound a little less "something" when you reply.
...and I would consider myself to be neither dishonest or deluded. You say you've lived there so which are you.

Oh, and please don't say Nawlins ever again. It's one of the worst thing you can say in the presence of a New Orleanian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech
That sort of thing is seen in a negative light a lot of the time because it almost seems wasteful and unimaginative to live like that.
Exactly.

Last edited by WestbankNOLA; 07-15-2009 at 07:44 AM..

Old 07-15-2009, 08:41 AM

806 posts, read 2,960,524 times
What GoreeGal wants is suburban Houston, which is the opposite of culture. All Pearland/SugarLand/Woodlands/Shadow Creek Ranch is EXACT same home plans surrounded by a FAKE man-made "lake", strict HOA's, long commutes, etc. Some of the areas nearer the golf courses with larger lots are decent. Its such an unsatisfying lifestyle, commuting an hour a day, coming home and going to eat out at some chain restaurant in the local sprawly strip mall.. Gross.

I admit I live in the 'burbs. I just wanted more land and the lots in the city were too small. I'd take the unzoned garden/historical district over a Perry Homes neighborhood any day, if I discounted land size.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:45 AM

806 posts, read 2,960,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacalaitWhisperer View Post

New Orleans is a sewer.
I don't notice any stink except smells eradiating off drunk partygoers. I know Nagin got re-elected, but the African American vote is strong. It was a good margin, but I know that real leadership is coming again. Nagin could had been a great mayor! He had such promise pre-Katrina.

I'm pretty sure its not a "sewer." Its only a dump in the areas where drug dealers live and most of the crime occurs between them. Nothing beats NOLA's good neighborhoods, culture, restaurants, etc. Perhaps you should open your eyes to the positivies rather than the negatives? I could definitely live Uptown and not notice a single problem that you described.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:52 AM

LSU Tiger Z71, I agree with what you. Bourbon St. cleaning the Quarter gets every night and morning has been described as "disney like". The Urine/Vomit smelling days have been long gone.
It was the white vote that got Nagin in, not the black one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana