Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 03:31 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,047,815 times

Advertisements

Is there a subdivision that looks likes the French Quarter there? A city with all the cultural like Lafayette should clean up the first impression area for tourist and possible future residents and possible business. Lafayette probably will be part of the Baton Rouge metro soon anyway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 03:54 PM

806 posts, read 2,959,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Is there a subdivision that looks likes the French Quarter there? A city with all the cultural like Lafayette should clean up the first impression area for tourist and possible future residents and possible business. Lafayette probably will be part of the Baton Rouge metro soon anyway
River Ranch. Some random areas of town as well. Suburbs do the French Acadian look.

It will not be a part of the BTR metro. Its a pretty mean swamp between them. I predict more development around I-10 to NOLA.

Old 07-12-2009, 04:16 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,685,876 times
^^Indeed, no way the two metros will merge. Around here the Atchafalaya Swamp is referred to by some as the "great divide". It is not suitable for suburban development as it is also part of a spillway.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:18 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,464,198 times
BR and NO couldn't connect on I-10 because of the swamp/spillwat. But I do think development along I-12 will be continuous from BR to Slidell

Old 07-12-2009, 07:08 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,323,842 times
I agree, BR to SLidell along the I12 corridor is quickly becoming one massive city. Lafayette is merging with Youngsville and Broussard though so it is getting fairly large as well. Louisiana is finally beginning to take off and really get some growth and attract businesses. I guess better late than never.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:01 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,018,997 times
^That is really good news. Thanks for the lift, Innotech!

Old 07-14-2009, 10:22 PM

157 posts, read 560,160 times
I was in Lafayette buying a house and of course the realtor showed me nothing about the city just threw homes at me. I drove around and panicked seeing the worst of the city. Trailer houses next to subdivisions if you want to call a one street housing tract a subdivision. Run down stuff everywhere.

I ventured out and was freaking how dirty the city was, how little shopping and culture it seemed to have and then I discovered River Ranch, an entire street of great shopping (or at least clean shopping) a big college, a cultural center, etc. I was ready to cancel my house and never move there but when one does find the treasures of the city, you know that Lafayette is all that it is cracked up to be.

Too darn bad you got a bad view of the city, but I hear you and I am sorry to say bet others moving there have had the same experience. Such a backward way of showing people around town by local realtors.

But FYI I had some of the dang best food I ever tasted and mightly friendly folks. I will be proud to call this village home.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:34 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,047,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoreeGal View Post
I was in Lafayette buying a house and of course the realtor showed me nothing about the city just threw homes at me. I drove around and panicked seeing the worst of the city. Trailer houses next to subdivisions if you want to call a one street housing tract a subdivision. Run down stuff everywhere.

I ventured out and was freaking how dirty the city was, how little shopping and culture it seemed to have and then I discovered River Ranch, an entire street of great shopping (or at least clean shopping) a big college, a cultural center, etc. I was ready to cancel my house and never move there but when one does find the treasures of the city, you know that Lafayette is all that it is cracked up to be.

Too darn bad you got a bad view of the city, but I hear you and I am sorry to say bet others moving there have had the same experience. Such a backward way of showing people around town by local realtors.

But FYI I had some of the dang best food I ever tasted and mightly friendly folks. I will be proud to call this village home.
Why is most of the city rundown

Old 07-14-2009, 10:50 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,323,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Why is most of the city rundown
SOME of it is.
Its not Detroit or East St Louis/rustbelt levels of rundown, just a bit older and showing age, but also keep in mind Louisiana and Lafayette especially were hit very hard in the 80s when the oil market collapsed and it took quite some time to recover. But it has come back in a very big way and continues to promote high tech jobs and higher class living while still staying true to cajun traditions. Its an interesting mix and the city is doing the best it can do to grow and prosper.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:59 PM

157 posts, read 560,160 times
My question is aren't people concerned about lack of zoning unless you are in the River Ranch area. I was scared to buy a house backing to a vacant property. I also would like to know why there are no planned subidivisions with pools and tennis courts. This is weird. Also why can't they stop having mobile homes and repair shops beside supposedly nice areas. I just do not get it coming from an area that has brick walls, gated entries and wonderful amenities. These 5 street tracts in the middle of nowhere is unusual. And the other unusal thing no one seems to care if they back to electrical pole wires aren't people worried about electromagnetic fields.

For such a proclaimed city, this place is too country for me but my husband's job is there and no option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana