Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 12:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,939 times

Advertisements

Tg&y store on the outer loop, dimeco at the corner of old shep and outer loop, roses on outdr loop,consolidated sales,o.g. wilsons,all the old stores at jefferson mall,i miss 70'and 80's okalona,around 1990 or so a guy with long black hair used to ride around on a green race motorcycle, and another guy rode around on a harley type with viking horns
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 02:04 PM

12 posts, read 11,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyGolden View Post
What was the hip clothing store in the Middletown shopping center with Biggs?
Was it a 5-7-9?

I haven't been back to Louisville in years... is Biggs still there?

Old 08-08-2018, 02:13 PM

242 posts, read 402,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kae111 View Post
Was it a 5-7-9?

Biggs is long gone, the building was completely torn down and there is a Walmart superstore and they Target superstore there now. Also couple of more strip malls out in front. If you haven't been here for that long you would recognize anything. The other side of English Station Road between it and I-265. A huge development called Middletown Commons it has quite a few stores" as well as multiple restaurants, Texas roadhouse etc.

Old 08-08-2018, 03:05 PM

12 posts, read 11,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
Biggs is long gone, the building was completely torn down and there is a Walmart superstore and they Target superstore there now. Also couple of more strip malls out in front. If you haven't been here for that long you would recognize anything. The other side of English Station Road between it and I-265. A huge development called Middletown Commons it has quite a few stores" as well as multiple restaurants, Texas roadhouse etc.
So it's been turned into a suburban wasteland. What a shame. Walmart and Texas Roadhouse!?!?!

There was a little ice cream/50s diner spot in the shopping center near the Krogers there. I can't remember the name for the life of me...

Old 11-19-2018, 08:15 PM

2 posts, read 5,321 times
I love this thread, having lived in the South End near Taylor Blvd, grew up in J-town and have lived in Middletown since 1992. I loved Stewart’s too. My Mom worked there selling polyester pantsuits. The service was great. We would eat in the lunch counter in the basement. They had a Santa Claus and a shop where kids could buy little presents for their family. There was a steak restaurant on 4th Street where you could watch them flame broil the steaks-we never ate there. The Blue Boar and Frisch’s downtown had upstairs levels. We used to go to Kaelin’s for home cooking. There was a Hans bakery in Hikes Point that had the best apricot pastries. I remember going to the discos-Peter Outlaws, Toy Tiger, Admirall Benbow’s Inn and the lounge at the bowling alley near there-great band-Willie Dee. There was a small bar/restaurant across from Showcase sometime in the 70s and we all watched a big Ali fight, everyone cheering. In the 90’s singing on TARc buses going to Winterfest at Iroquois Park. Big slide at the Kmart parking lot Hikes Point. J-town 4 Theatres and J-town Lanes. What was the name of the bowling alley in Middletown where the East Government Center is now?

Old 11-19-2018, 08:47 PM

2 posts, read 5,321 times
Also we used to walk to Mario’s Pizza on Patti Lane in J-town after the football games. Great pepperoni pizza! When I was younger we used to go out to eat just for special occasions so I remember some birthdays out-at Lil’ Abner’s and at the top of Stouffer’s Inn, now Hotel Louisville. I believe there was once a fancy restaurant I went to one time and the top of one of the bank high rise buildings downtown. What was the name of the restaurant that had roast chicken and a great salad bar-in DuPont? Very popular for a while. Also Daryl’s Restaurant on Bardstown Road at the Watterson. Someone earlier mentioned Rib Tavern-in Buechel-it was very popular back in its day.

Old 11-25-2018, 09:39 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kae111 View Post
Was it a 5-7-9?

Why not? I am just curious why people peace out of the city and have yet to see the massive progress the city has made since 2010?

It's really doing well!

Old 07-11-2019, 09:31 PM

6 posts, read 19,970 times
I still miss Zetti's. I can still picture the wild patterns on the booths, and how heartbroken I was when I found out they'd closed. I must have been around 9. Were there other locations besides Shelbyville Road Plaza?
Rollo Pollo was another St. Matthews favorite of mine. I vividly remember the cajun and bbq styles of chicken, all the yummy sides and big red cake, and of course the magnificent rotisserie wall! I always waved to the dancing chicken mascot as we drove past. I think the building was originally a burger chef.

Old 07-15-2019, 08:02 AM

1,265 posts, read 1,422,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosalind90 View Post
I still miss Zetti's. I can still picture the wild patterns on the booths, and how heartbroken I was when I found out they'd closed. I must have been around 9. Were there other locations besides Shelbyville Road Plaza?
Rollo Pollo was another St. Matthews favorite of mine. I vividly remember the cajun and bbq styles of chicken, all the yummy sides and big red cake, and of course the magnificent rotisserie wall! I always waved to the dancing chicken mascot as we drove past. I think the building was originally a burger chef.
My neighbor growing up was the owner of Rollo Pollo. He actually cuts my folks' grass now even though he doesn't need the money. Great guy.

Old 07-22-2019, 09:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,280 times
Unhappy Does anyone remember Haywoods Dairy? They had great ice cream!%

Quote:
Originally Posted by am2000man View Post
I just happened to think of another restaurant that is no more. Does anyone else remember Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor in Oxmoor Mall. My mom took me there for, I think it was my 3rd or 4th birthday (1978 or 1979 for those wondering). That was like the coolest ice cream place when you were a kid
Does anyone remember Haywoods Dairy? Milk came in bottles back then and Haywoods had yummy ice cream!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area