Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 02:35 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,737,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
I guess it's true what they say about people from Kentucky being so nice We are planning a trip to your neck of the woods next month so we will be able to see for ourselves what feels right. As of now, dh is leaning towards Lexington and I'm leaning towards Louisville. I'm a born and bred NYer and he's from a small town in the midwest. This may why we differ. I had mentioned earlier that I wanted a Leave it to Beaver neighborhood, but I'm finding that the homes built prior to WWII have teeny yards and are close together. Now I'm thinking about neighborhoods that are 20-35 yrs old with sprawling ranches or Colonials. A nice size yard, but not necessarily huge. My ideal neighborhood has signs of life: children riding their bikes, people watering or planting in their front lawns, parents walking by pushing a baby stroller, and neighbors chatting to each other. Am I dreaming? I want this and I want to be able to go into the town/city for lunch, a stroll, coffee at an outdoor cafe. Being near pretty parks is very important, and in an ideal world, there would be a path to rollerblade on I have a hundred other things on the list too. And of course access to good schools, public or private is very important. Knowing this, please keep on suggesting neighborhoods in both of these cities. Would Anchorage fit the bill? Much thanks.
Anchorage, Middletown, and Douglass Hills are all areas of Louisville that you would love. Anchorage is just gorgeous, with many homes sitting on an acre and a natural park like setting that is not all planned looking like many suburbs. There is still land available where you can custom build your own home. The area is just very classy, it is not polluted with strip malls and cookie cutter subdivisions with cheesy signs out front like "Willow Lakes" or "Meadow Estates" (you get the idea ) The trees are large and old and the avenues have a wide, lazy sort of southern vibe that just makes you want to sit on your porch and drink lemonade. Anchorage also has its own K-8 school, which is probably top 5 in the state. On the other hand, you would be surprised how much land you can get close to downtown for a reasonable price. An area that may have the homes you are looking for is centered around the Louisville Zoo (area around the intersection of Trevillian Way and Newburg road. This is just a lovely area where all the neighbors know each other, and there are families with kids etc. There are also some newer homes in this area. Jeffersontown I describe as anysuburb USA, but you may like it there. Prospect is also a gorgeous area but can get expensive. In Oldham County, Crestwood, Goshen, Pewee Valley, and La Grange are all options within 30 minutes of downtown.

The closer to downtown you get, much of the new construction is infill urban developments. Some of these are quite dense for southern standards, but certainly not like the urban areas of the NE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2007, 03:17 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,870,240 times
Default A great big thanks for all of your wonderful feedback:)

I'm sure I will have more questions soon, so bear with me.

Old 04-15-2007, 05:37 PM

171 posts, read 463,105 times
Question where was that??

I can't find any of those places on my map, Anchorage, douglas hills, middletown?? I'm coming to Louavul this week to check it out, where are they? johnnybc

Old 04-15-2007, 06:35 PM

According to my map they look like they are east of Louisville, slightly north.

Old 04-15-2007, 07:10 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,974 times
The only problem with Anchorage is the taxes if you live within the city limits....because Anchorage has its own police, fire and school system, the taxes are sky high. Automobile tax is also sky high. I agree it is beautiful - the homes, properties and ambiance are all amazing. They have a great sense of community there - truly a country gentleman's estate kind of feel. Just beware of the taxes.

Old 04-15-2007, 08:56 PM

283 posts, read 1,025,933 times
Lexingtongal,

You've responded to my posts in another thread. Since then I've done a lot of research. We'll be moving to Lexington in early July. I'm thrilled, because I'm convinced that this is a terrific place! You've helped with that and I thank you.

I'm looking on the SW side (we have executive level jobs but don't want to afford Ashland Park or Chevy Chase at this point). I'm thinking Palomar (Rosa Parks Elem, Beaumont Middle, Dunbar High) and Palomar seems great. Any other recommendations for neighborhoods would be very appreciated.

Old 04-16-2007, 05:13 AM

891 posts, read 3,052,560 times
Palomar is very pretty. Also close to there is Beaumont and Harrods Hills. Harrods Hills is an older subdivision but with very nice homes. You get a bit more house for the money. Stonewall is also in that vicinity. It has lots of sprawling ranch homes with large lots. I'm not sure of the school districts there.
Good luck!

Old 04-16-2007, 08:48 AM

891 posts, read 3,052,560 times
One further suggestion is to try to drive from the areas you are considering, to the area you will be working, during what will be your typical work commute time. The traffic can be quite a bear coming to dowtown from the outlying suburbs.

Old 04-16-2007, 08:50 AM

How do the SW neighborhoods differ from Ashland Park, Chevy Chase and Glendover?

Old 12-05-2007, 07:33 AM

4 posts, read 11,479 times
Default Winter weather

Could someone tell me what the winters are like in Louisville

Are they brutal or mild to moderate. I have lived in Houston most of my life and I am sure compared to Houston they are brutal but compare them to the United States
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area