Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 07:09 PM

2 posts, read 8,450 times

Advertisements

From today's AJ: The next 5 years of downtown development | Lubbock Online | Lubbock Avalanche-Journal

With the nearing completion of the development in Overton, perhaps we're about ready to actually see some development in downtown, but for now what seems most likely are the two new hotels and utility upgrades. Other things mentioned in the article - a shopping center (hopefully a pedestrian-oriented one) and bike paths - will be a good start.

But what I thought was by far most interesting was the mention of a "possible metro rail." I assume that this refers a light rail system rather than continued long shot hopes of bringing Amtrak service to the city. As it currently stands, I seriously doubt Lubbock could support a light rail system. But if downtown is fully developed, a single line (or perhaps a street trolley system) between downtown, Overton, and Tech may be most feasible. I'd also think that an extension of such a line to the airport would be quite useful. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 03:44 PM

52,690 posts, read 47,955,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredlyfish4 View Post
From today's AJ: The next 5 years of downtown development | Lubbock Online | Lubbock Avalanche-Journal

But what I thought was by far most interesting was the mention of a "possible metro rail." I assume that this refers a light rail system rather than continued long shot hopes of bringing Amtrak service to the city. As it currently stands, I seriously doubt Lubbock could support a light rail system.
They could start with one rail line from a certain point to downtown just to test the waters. Before they do that, however, they're going to have make some changes with some of the streets there. If they can avoid "pulling a Houston" and using any new rail lines along city streets (They need to go between the streets), that'd be a start.

What I'd love to see there are mid-rises and high-rises. If business booms in West Texas, then somebody out there is going to want to have a centralized outlet where business can be done with few square feet and going high in the air. And where better to make the attempt than in Lubbock? I'm not against ground-level development, but that skyline badly needs expansion and a new vision. Imagine the visitors guides with a picture of a new skyline.....

Old 12-23-2013, 05:31 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,576,941 times
If the revitalization of downtown is successful (which it seems to have a lot of momentum), a simple trolley line from the Tech campus down Broadway to the Depot District could be viable, charming, and successful.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:35 PM

2,327 posts, read 3,935,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
If the revitalization of downtown is successful (which it seems to have a lot of momentum), a simple trolley line from the Tech campus down Broadway to the Depot District could be viable, charming, and successful.
Totally agree. I went on the WVU Transit rail in October and saw how it can work. While it might not be as fast as WVU's, it wouldn't need to be. The first phase might just go (just a guess) from where (abandoned) Weeks Hall is right now to the west side of Downtown, then be extended in both directions, like toward the HSC and Depot District.

Also saw that Nick's Sports Bar is supposed to open another location near the Overton Hotel.

Last edited by shoe01; 12-23-2013 at 10:45 PM..

Old 12-27-2013, 08:01 AM

437 posts, read 925,145 times
A trolley between the Depot District and Tech campus would be awesome. I think it might cut down on drunk driving incidents as well.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:55 PM

2 posts, read 8,450 times
Here's the latest: a monorail!

Texas Tech to downtown monorail could be more than a daydream for Lubbock, McDougal says | Lubbock Online | Lubbock Avalanche-Journal

Old 01-04-2014, 09:06 PM

That would sure help with Downtown redevelopment. I was in San Diego a few days ago and took their light rail to the game, and noticed how many high-density buildings were within walking distance of the stations.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:53 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
Downtown redevelopment is a total waste of money. Downtowns don't exist in most newer modern cities and are pretty much unnecessary. If you go to Plano, Richardson, Carrollton and many other cities in the DFW area, you will find no downtown. While the tall buildings in downtown Dallas and FT. Worth might look impressive, there isn't really much going on down there, especially on the weekend. IMHO, this is a boondoggle to favor certain wealthy people in our area. Light rail is also silly. We have a great road system. Light rail is extremely expensive and would not carry many people, especially in a city like Lubbock that is so spread out and has ample parking everywhere. I'm glad I will not be around when asked to pay the taxes on this silliness.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:36 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Downtown redevelopment is a total waste of money. Downtowns don't exist in most newer modern cities and are pretty much unnecessary. If you go to Plano, Richardson, Carrollton and many other cities in the DFW area, you will find no downtown. While the tall buildings in downtown Dallas and FT. Worth might look impressive, there isn't really much going on down there...
Uh, excuse me...?

I'm not even gonna get into the rest of your post just yet. I want to focus on what I have in bold and in red.

Have you even BEEN to Downtown Fort Worth in the past decade and a half? Sundance Square and several other new developments in and around downtown have helped to bring people back into the city. ESPN chose downtown Fort Worth for its Super Bowl coverage and will be back this March for the Final Four. It's not perfect, but it's much better off than several of those "newer and modern cities" you're referring to, which are SUBURBS, by the way.

Just for reference, this is what central downtown Fort Worth looked like in the 70's:

This is what that very same area looks like NOW:

Not every single new idea is a "boondoggle". With the right planning, they actually help.

Last edited by JJG; 01-06-2014 at 11:20 PM..

Old 01-06-2014, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Downtown redevelopment is a total waste of money. Downtowns don't exist in most newer modern cities and are pretty much unnecessary. If you go to Plano, Richardson, Carrollton and many other cities in the DFW area, you will find no downtown. While the tall buildings in downtown Dallas and FT. Worth might look impressive, there isn't really much going on down there, especially on the weekend. IMHO, this is a boondoggle to favor certain wealthy people in our area.
The problem is that a lot of people who drive through Lubbock on I-27 (quite a few) only see downtown and the eastern portions of the city, unless they stay in a hotel on the SW side or at a place like the Overton, Staybridge, Hawthorn, etc. They have no idea that the city is much larger than the popular perception, and the small, decrepit-looking skyline helps to feed the notion that Lubbock has little going for it, fair or not.

Suburbs in the Metroplex can get away with not having downtowns since residents can travel a few miles to a city that does (like Fort Worth, as JJG illustrated).

Last edited by shoe01; 01-06-2014 at 11:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock