Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 10:23 AM

1,336 posts, read 6,446,701 times

Advertisements

Lubbock is pretty colorblind. People don't get into race-baiting there like they do in other cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2007, 11:34 AM

284 posts, read 1,681,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
Scholar, my labeling LBB as "Whitey World" does not equate it as being racist. please dont assume when i am making a general comment about the demographics of a city that it is making a comment about the existence or lack of racism. i do believe that LBB is predominantly caucasian, thats all.
You were the first reply to a question about racism. It appeared that the original poster already knew the demographics of the city. Your reply refers to Lubbock with what could be seen as an offensive and derogatory term, and I was concerned that it could give someone the wrong idea about Lubbock. I appreciate you clearing it up.

Old 05-26-2007, 03:28 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,640,781 times
Lubbock is definitely not whiteworld, with 40% hispanics. Maybe 8% African American. I have seen no measurable racism here. The black people I have met and know are very nice folks. I have never felt unsafe here either. It is just common sense (as a female) not to go out alone at night, but that goes for anywhere. Most people here very friendly and helpful. Is a very conservative area, and hope it stays that way. As for weather, I don't mind the heat, as it is dry. I actually do not like all the rain we have been getting! The topography is not pretty, is very flat, but going in any direction for an hour, the scenery changes. I have never smelled any refineries. Those are over by Midland-Odessa!

Old 05-27-2007, 11:50 PM

389 posts, read 1,656,905 times
Lubbock has one of the cutiest parks around with a carnival and a prairie dog park nearby I think its still their plus a great steak place on 50th you'll notice the big heifer outside.ITs grown seems to the southwest .its been awhile since Ive seen it see but it s medical campus was growing the one by the major university.

Old 05-28-2007, 12:08 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
Scholar, my labeling LBB as "Whitey World" does not equate it as being racist. please dont assume when i am making a general comment about the demographics of a city that it is making a comment about the existence or lack of racism. i do believe that LBB is predominantly caucasian, thats all.
I was born and raised in Lubbock (live in Dallas area now) Bellestaroftexas is right. There is not much racial diversity there (except Hispanic) but neither do I think of it as a "racist city." But I am not african american so it's possible it was there and I just didn't see it.

As for as Lubbock being a poor city, I don't see that either. The northeastern section had some poor areas and some by the university (hence we used to call it "the Tech ghetto") but I would classify Lubbock as pretty typical middle-class city overall. Some poor, some rich. Most middle-class.

Personally, I'm probably biased. I loved Lubbock. Bad duststorms some in the spring, but low, low humidity which I absolutely loved! I think it is a great place to live and would actually like to again if circumstances were different.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:07 AM

1 posts, read 5,935 times
I would say yes, there is racism and sexism in the City of Lubbock. There are couple pof evidences and situation that you will see around this "closed loop City". There is a mix of Baptism people ultra conservatives that are very narrow-minded to accpet diversity and citys' prgress. What can you think where a population of African-American are "seggregated" at the East part of the city and it s hard to see them at leat at regular middle class restaurants? I think that Hispanics and Blacks has been "reprimended" thru the history of this city.

I would like to share this with you: [SIZE=6]
Council ends outdated law against blacks
[/SIZE][SIZE=4]By: Michelle Casady/Staff Writer
[/SIZE]Posted: 4/27/06
The City Council voted Wednesday to unanimously (7-0) reject an ordinance from 1923, which prohibited blacks from living west of Avenue C and south of 16th Street.

The motion was made by Councilman Floyd Price and was seconded by Jim Gilbreath.

"There's no evidence this was ever actually enacted on by the Council," Mayor Marc McDougal said. "And if it ever was enacted officially, it was done away with in 1959."

Moderator cut: copyrighted material

© Copyright 2007 Daily Toreador

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 10-18-2007 at 06:30 PM.. Reason: Please refer to the rules regarding posting copyrighted materials.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:58 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
Lubbock is a very conservative city in the middle of the "dry" bible belt (like Waco).

They are possibly best known across the country for astronomical teen pregnancy rates:

January 2002 Controversy Report (http://www.siecus.org/controversy/cont0006.html - broken link)

That is one of many website you can find if you google "Lubbock teen pregnancy."

Sounds like their Jesus + abstinence equation is working quite well.

Old 10-18-2007, 06:27 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandljoy View Post
I just read the thread from the previous post Mr Football posted. I guess I am a little concerned about the "conservative" nature of the city. Does "convservative" amount to the attitude of african americans are "lower class" than whites?
No. In my experience (and I am and always have been conservative), it means that people are more concerned about what is between your ears than your skin color.

I lived in Lubbock for 4 years, and if I ever come back to Texas, Lubbock would be a consideration.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:55 AM

1,488 posts, read 5,238,673 times
We lived in Lubbock 6 years and loved it. The winters are pretty cold (for Texas) and the wind blows a lot, but who stands outside in the weather all the time any more? Texas Tech University is a major influence in the city so there are people from all over the world connected with both it and the hospitals. Otherwise, the population is mainly people who have moved into the city from the rural areas so they have small town values and are very friendly. And yes there a number of people there from south of the border, but most are there to work and they tend to stay in their own community (the east part of town) except when they are working. The crime rate is higher than it used to be, but most of that is also confined to that one area of town and mostly among that population.

Old 03-25-2009, 01:34 AM

1 posts, read 5,383 times
No fortune 500 companies. Cut throat. If you are trying to advance in a town like this. You better have your credentials already or have a business in progress because thier is not any growth nor do some white americans and black americans do not want to see you suceed. This is the south. Not hillbillys but grand wizard history attitude. Especially in the work force. You dig. Not first choice. Dallas yes. Its a world city. Ya know.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
View detailed profiles of: