Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2013, 12:52 PM

841 posts, read 1,401,988 times

Advertisements

A bill by an Atlanta legislator would put together a team and give it the authority to do everything it needs to set up passenger rail between Atlanta and Macon.

New bill looks to restart Macon-to-Atlanta train | State Legislature | Macon.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 09:46 PM

194 posts, read 317,381 times
Glad to see this idea pop back up on the radar. I think it would be a good thing for Macon, and if the route extended to Savannah, it would be a good thing for Georgia. The existing route will be on the old Central of Georgia railroad line which runs right into Hartsfield-Jackson airport in Hapeville. (where the Hapeville Ford plant stood once upon a time).

This line needs a great deal of work to support passenger traffic. It is currently freight only with many speed restrictions with a few sidings and no double track. Therefore, a lot of money is needed, along with the cooperation of local governments, Norfolk Southern, Ga DOT, FRA, and the new "team" metioned above.

But all in all, I hope it happens. I think it will be great for Macon and surrounding counties. One could live 2 hours out of Atlanta's hustle and bustle and yet be a short train ride away from working there. It would reduce all that traffic on the southside and spur economic growth in distressed areas south of the airport.

Once again, I hope it happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon