Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 11:02 PM

4 posts, read 19,139 times

Advertisements

My family and I are currently in the process of relocating from Milledgeville Ga because my husband got a job in Macon and I have to travel to Atlanta every weekend for a job. We are looking for a city that is good to raise a child (since our son will be attending pre k soon) and is in the middle of both cities. Please help me because this is soooooo stressful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 12:48 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,096,883 times
Forsyth (Monroe County)
Henry County

Old 01-19-2014, 03:38 AM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lula11 View Post
My family and I are currently in the process of relocating from Milledgeville Ga because my husband got a job in Macon and I have to travel to Atlanta every weekend for a job. We are looking for a city that is good to raise a child (since our son will be attending pre k soon) and is in the middle of both cities. Please help me because this is soooooo stressful.
If you are looking for a smaller-town lifestyle then you could relocate to Jackson (which is roughly 46 miles from Atlanta and 39 miles from Macon) or Griffin (which is roughly 38 miles from Atlanta and 53 miles from Macon).

If you are looking for a mix of the small-town lifestyle and the outer-suburban lifestyle, you could move to Locust Grove which is roughly 36 miles from Atlanta and 50 miles from Macon.

Forsyth (as King_X suggested) and Barnesville, which are both closer to Macon than Atlanta are also good options if you are looking for the small-town lifestyle and want to shorten your husband's daily commute to and from Macon...something which might make sense since your husband will be commuting to and from work in Macon 5 days a week and you will only be commuting to and from work in Atlanta on weekends.

Old 01-19-2014, 04:08 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
I'm hearing very good things about Forsyth and Monroe County lately. Coming from Milledgeville, I don't think you could go wrong there.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:55 AM

Thank you for all your replies, I've heard about Warner Robins before but I just wanted to see what my other options are. We've been in Milledgeville since 2010 (originally from Gwinnett county) so the small town thing is not an issue. Born 2 roll yea it does make sense, as long as I can find a place great for families and excellent pubic school district for our son. I wouldn't mind driving 2 hours every weekend.

Old 01-20-2014, 03:57 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,842,054 times
McDonough

Old 01-21-2014, 11:46 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times
Quote:
Thank you for all your replies, I've heard about Warner Robins before but I just wanted to see what my other options are. We've been in Milledgeville since 2010 (originally from Gwinnett county) so the small town thing is not an issue. Born 2 roll yea it does make sense, as long as I can find a place great for families and excellent pubic school district for our son. I wouldn't mind driving 2 hours every weekend.
Warner Robins could be considered Macon's suburban haven that has been getting Macon's leftovers, however it's on the SOUTH end of Macon which would make absolutely no sense if you have a job in Atlanta.

BTW, whereabouts in Atlanta will you be commuting? That makes a difference.

If you are commuting to the southside of Atlanta, Forsyth in Monroe County, as mentioned earlier, would be ideal.

Any other part of Atlanta, including in-town, I would probably look to locations closer in to the ATL area. Otherwise, keep it closer to Macon.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:32 PM

I work in downtown area around 16th st.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:34 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times
Quote:
I work in downtown area around 16th st.
Sounds like midtown.

Perhaps Locust Grove should be given a close look. A bit closer to Atlanta, but still not too terribly far from Macon.

I still wouldn't entirely rule out Forsyth since you only travel north on the weekends and your husband will be doing the most commuting to the south.

Either way, I'm sure you already know staying close to I-75 is of the utmost importance. Thus, towns like Griffin, I would just rule that out altogether.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:54 PM

I have narrowed it down to forsyth and locust grove because I'm hearing good things about the two. I think forsyth is ideal but I can barely find rental properties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon