Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 11:57 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,014,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by namder1 View Post
I see these posts pop up here every now and then. It never ceases to offend me and **** me off! I don't think I have EVER met a true racist here in Maine. I sure can't say that about some other places I've lived or visited. We may have a lot of faults here but racism thankfully isn't one of them.
Just putting in my two cents.
Maine tends to have a very tolerant community...lots of havens for eccentrics and bohemians. that I like. Maine is NOT devoid of racism. This is America, in fact, and that is unfortunate baggage that comes from our national history. What aggression or intolerance I have encountered for whatever reason, my brown skin, my super curly hair, my art degree, my Boston, MA accent or my paint-stained jeans, I simply don't empower them by making a fuss. My long-haired, bearded husband and I throw rocks at racial epithets on signs and concrete walls so the rest of the world can see that it will not be tolerated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 01:19 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Not tolerant if you happen to be a non resident of any stripe who wants to hunt on opening day of deer season.
Oh come now. We're not all that way. As far as racism goes, there are jackarses everywhere.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
Oh come now. We're not all that way. As far as racism goes, there are jackarses everywhere.
I've never heard a Mainer insert an "r" in jackass. Peetzer, maybe, for everyone's favorite takeout...Just sayin'.

Old 07-06-2013, 04:48 AM

885 posts, read 1,495,158 times
TC, you must travel different roads than I do. I can't say I've seen any racial epithets on signs or walls. Can you be more specific?

Old 07-06-2013, 06:02 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Small-town Massachusetts would be extremely race-tolerant, especially in the Five College liberal area of Western Massachusetts, if you decide that it may be a challenge in Maine.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:48 AM

Namder, I must admit that it has been awhile since I've seen real aggressive language. I live in southern ME...been around these parts for more than 30 years now. About 3 years ago while investigating a local area I wished to hunt, I noticed " no n#gg## spray painted on a road caution sign...unfortunately strategically adjacent to the "hunting with permission" signs I was trying to read. About 15 years ago some swatstikas and the word "n#gg##" spray painted on a concrete jersey barrier on a trail we frequented with the dog. My husband's message to the local ignorance was to throw a rock at the scrawled epithet each time we passed. Two dog walks a day, two stones a day. Once the writing was obscured he would place an interesting stone on top of the concrete. Now it has become a a collection of of smooth, rough, sparkly,red, blue, and a whole assortment of interesting stones. Obviously amended with stones by other trail walkers as well. those are examples of mostly youthful angst and exuberance expressed with misdirected anger...usually directed at whomever Mommy, Daddy, and Grandpa rail about.

Occasionally I still hear the quickly silenced the off-color ethnic joke when I enter a local fraternity function. And in political discussion I'm quick to counter the racial and cultural stereotypes that some people still feel the need to cling to.
All in all, a microcosm of home grown American ignorance that is aggravated by geographical isolation of Maine's community. Nothing we all can't handle when we put our minds to it.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:04 AM

885 posts, read 1,495,158 times
I don't mind an off colored joke now and then, after all I'm Irish and have heard all the drunk jokes! AND, I like to laugh! Especially at myself.....I crack me up sometimes! I tend to think that sadly we have become too sensitive sometimes, although those signs you saw are not acceptable at all. I hope that it was just some dumbass kids as you suggest.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:18 AM

I think part of our problem is the shyness about learning new cultures. I've heard my share of bunk about the incoming southeast Asians years ago, and more recently, the East Africans. It's a fallacy that we all come here and "become Americans"...a somehow homogeneous group. If we look into the various "American " institutions like, Native American canoes and place names, gumbo, pizza, and tacos, we can figure out how much of Americana is part of some other motherland, blended to make a splendid stew. I don't want to forget my African features, nor my Scots-Irish or Choctaw ones. That makes me uniquely American, and peculiarly a Maine transplant. The detractors can't pry me away.

And besides, as any of my neighbors can attest, I improve every place I move to....look out America...I'm coming to YOUR town! HaAhahah!

Old 07-09-2013, 12:21 AM

393 posts, read 982,051 times
Personally I think the "Vacationland" motto on Maine's car license plates should be replaced with a new motto which really does describe life in Maine: "Live and Let Live"

Old 07-09-2013, 02:41 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,658,413 times
A little perspective...... Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire all have mostly white populations - in fact, at least 96 percent of the population of each state is white. Maine tops the nation with 96.9 white, the least diversity out of any state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine