Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 08:07 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,096,282 times

Advertisements

wow...i went back and read....someone must have reported it....to me, it was very obviously a joke. But what do I know....I'm from that "lower social strata"....course, my IQ is 167.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 11:33 PM

35 posts, read 97,915 times
Default Serious Side

ED, no apology necessary, we also knew you were kidding.

You sound like a nice hard working individual with a family who just wants a better life, just like the rest of us.

You will have to come to Eastport for the BIG JULY 4TH celebration. The U.S.S. McFaul - DDG 74 will be arriving Sat. or Sun. just prior to the 4th, as well as the Cruise Ship- Spirit of Nantucket.
Everyone make sure and check out Eastport 4th of July for full festivities on July 4th, and please come and join us.

Old 06-30-2007, 04:52 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,517,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Smith Construction View Post
We will be in the beautyfull village of Lubec.
We will pass by your new house on our way up in September. Instead of !-95 (Is that right?), we are going the scenic Route 1 on the way up.

Old 06-30-2007, 07:33 AM

528 posts, read 2,480,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
wow...i went back and read....someone must have reported it....to me, it was very obviously a joke. But what do I know....I'm from that "lower social strata"....course, my IQ is 167.

yes, Molly....I reported it and asked that it be closed. And yes, I was fully aware that Ed was "joking". But the issue was larger than the telling of a “joke”, and as someone who says he was in law enforcement and dealt with domestic violence issues, it was disappointing to see that he (and others) initially saw nothing wrong with posting jokes about it on a public forum.

Such jokes trivialize the actions of abusers who make the choice to control others through violence. And in a society in which one in four women will be battered by an intimate partner (and Maine has it’s share of domestic violence issues), the last thing needed is to tell jokes about such a subject. I know that no one on here would post jokes about beating gays or members of minority races, and wife-beating jokes are just as egregious.

Yes, we are each entitled to our own sense of humor, and have the right to enjoy humor in whatever way we choose. But if one chooses to support humor that is hurtful to others, you must accept responsibility for the impact of these choices. Jokes about domestic violence marginalize the experiences of victims, and project to them that you don’t understand or care about the severity of their experiences. A friend of mine counsels domestic violence victims, and when he asks them how jokes impact their healing, every one of them says they feel demeaned and that their experiences are devalued in the eyes of others. I would hope everyone here can understand and appreciate that.

That being said, I am pleased that Ed has posted an apology, and has moved on from this subject, as have I.

Old 06-30-2007, 07:49 AM

in this incredible world of political correctness, I am not surprised Toria that you reported this.

Old 06-30-2007, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trom View Post
ED, no apology necessary, we also knew you were kidding.

You sound like a nice hard working individual with a family who just wants a better life, just like the rest of us.

You will have to come to Eastport for the BIG JULY 4TH celebration. The U.S.S. McFaul - DDG 74 will be arriving Sat. or Sun. just prior to the 4th, as well as the Cruise Ship- Spirit of Nantucket.
Everyone make sure and check out Eastport 4th of July for full festivities on July 4th, and please come and join us.
great post Trom! I'm heading down today to get the house ready....we have the boiler fixed so now we have hot water! I hadn't seen you around here for a while so I'm glad to see your post Do you have company coming for the festivities? Ed, we'll expect you and your family to be there next year!

Old 06-30-2007, 07:54 AM

581 posts, read 712,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Smith Construction View Post
Dave do you live near Lubec. You and I realy need to hang out. I think we could get kicked out of a few bars togeather. And I have been sober for 14 years.
No, I'm over Bangor way, which is probably a good thing for society in general.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:02 AM

25 posts, read 75,866 times
Think you'll enjoy it here. Feel free to kick any domestic abusers behind you find, I'll be cheering you on!

Old 07-02-2007, 11:14 AM

581 posts, read 712,748 times
Ed, have you hugged your wife yet today?

Old 07-02-2007, 12:55 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,717,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trom View Post
ED, You will have to come to Eastport for the BIG JULY 4TH celebration. The U.S.S. McFaul - DDG 74 will be arriving Sat. or Sun. just prior to the 4th, as well as the Cruise Ship- Spirit of Nantucket.

I am Private Pilot and flew there a few years ago for the 4th I only spent the day (new pilot and didn't want to fly that night) I was very impressed with the festivities and had a great time. I plan to go again somtime in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine