Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2007, 06:53 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,103,899 times

Advertisements

OK....JD Drew just redeemed himself in my eyes....

grand slam in the first inning......YES!!

Old 10-20-2007, 07:45 PM

I'm not bragging....just updating....

it's now 5-1 RED SOX!!!!! in the 3rd inning....oh, 6 TO 1!!!!! YES!!!!

but, I'm not excited, or bragging.....just updating......

Old 10-20-2007, 07:54 PM

ok.....NOW I'M BRAGGING!!!!!!!

10-1 in the 3rd inning!!

I'm doing my happy dance.....

Old 10-20-2007, 08:46 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,919,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
ok.....NOW I'M BRAGGING!!!!!!!

10-1 in the 3rd inning!!

I'm doing my happy dance.....
Enjoy the happy dance, Molly. You know me well enough by now. I'll THINK about relaxing if they score another ten, at least . . . there are two out in the ninth.

Old 10-20-2007, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Also ogre, you have been blessed with yet another one of those characteristics that I don't yet possess, yet I admire you for having.....the analytical breakdown of all that could possibly go wrong, done before the game, carefully factoring in pitching, SWING STYLE . . . lol
Of course if you have a situation like, say, one team's having a batting order loaded with heavy-hitting right handers while the other team's pitcher is a lefty who typically gets tagged by right handers, then that might actually be something to take into account. It might be kind of fine-tuning the analysis, but it could be significant.

Old 10-20-2007, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
The UP. I graduated High School from Sault Ste, Marie, MI in 1981 and then did a bit at Lake Superior University when it was still known as Lake Superior State College.
The UP is very similar to Northern Maine. Smaller towns, spread out and generally more economically depressed than the Southern portions of the State. Marquette is a great city! NMU is a fantastic school and the views of Lake Superior are breathtaking. It may be a lake, but unless you have seen a lake that is 350 miles long and 160 miles wide, you cannot draw a good mental picture. The surface area of just lake Superior is almost the same size as the entire State of Maine. Wave heights are regularly over 20' during storms and can be bigger than 30'. It is a different feeling than the coast of Maine, and generally a LOT less people during the Summers. On the Southern side of the UP you have Lake Michigan, and that has a totally different feel to it as well. Can you say, Sugar sand beaches. Katahdin? Not really, but the Western side of the UP has the Porcupine Mountains and the views from Brockway Drive are great. The UP is one area I would go back to in a minute, if I could talk the wife into longer, colder winters; and that is not about to happen!
You said in the earlier post that the Edmund Fitzgerald was an impressive ship, so I guess you got a look first hand. It just hit me that if you lived in "The Soo," you must have gotten a look at plenty of the big ships going through the locks. Nice.

Last edited by ogre; 10-20-2007 at 09:12 PM..

Old 10-20-2007, 09:10 PM

Quote:
I hate to say this.....

but last night both Jake (my 9 year old) and I slept in our Red Sox shirts.....hmmmm.....

anyway! ogre, I have become addicted to rep points....sad, but true....it started because I noticed that it looked funny that I had so many posts and so few points....so over in the games forum there is this "rep fueling station" thread....I rep you guys here, then go over there and rep, and they rep me back.....some of them have so many rep points they can give out 9 for one post!! So, I rep all 20 times in 24 hours that I can and it helps when I come back here and only have to wait a day to get you guys at "home"!! if you click on "my settings" you can see who's repped you.....

so, I'm hoping for bloody sock Schilling.....
I did the thing with "my settings" after seeing this post. That's when I learned that you can leave messages--usually seem to be comments on what the person liked that led to the rep--when you give rep. I still haven't figured out how to do that.

I got one comment on a post I made here at the Maine forum. I had commented on the comparison to life in Maine vs. MA. No name with the comment, but whoever it was (Molly?) paid me the compliment--and I do truly consider it a compliment--of asking what I was doing living in MA when I seemed to have "the heart of a Mainer." Thanks again to the person who wrote that, but this thing gets complicated about where you live, why you stay there if you don't care for it, or if it's okay but there's another place you'd like better, that kind of thing. It's not always a simple matter to just pack up and move. In my case at present, since I'm looking into grad school, and am kind of all over the map (east of the Rockies anyway) with the schools I'm looking at, I could end up anywhere over the next few years. After that, of course there's the reality that I'll have to go where I can find work. I'd hope to have some flexibility in that regard, though. One thing for sure is, given my "druthers," as the saying goes, I druther live in Maine than MA. If the person who left that comment sees this, thanks again.

Old 10-20-2007, 09:15 PM

Quote:
I too grew up in the 70s.....with Yaz, Lynn (one of my favorites cause he's a lefty!), Rice, Fisk, Evans.....yup, completely get that! oh and Petrocelli, and Butch Hobson!! ok....moving on

I didn't know about that SI article....it would be great to have a copy of that....maybe I'll go digging....
If you can dig up that story, more power to you. Good luck, though. That issue of SI is over thirty years old!

Nice to read all those old names . . . and Spaceman Bill Lee, Burleson, Tiant (LOO-ee, LOO-ee, LOO-ee, LOO-ee), yeah!

Old 10-20-2007, 09:20 PM

so, I'm hoping for bloody sock Schilling..... [quote, Mollysmiles]

And . . . you got the bloody sock Schilling! Amazing. The guy's forty years old, and really past his prime. What he's done down the stretch this year, and again tonight, is nothing but the smarts to make the most of what he's got left, along with sheer heart and guts. Great to see that performance tonight, whatever happens from here on out.

Old 10-20-2007, 09:29 PM

12-2....and my comfy happy dance is over as Gagne takes the mound......he does to me what Pedro used to do.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine