Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 09:05 PM

13 posts, read 15,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
You have a degree and can't find a job?? for more than a year??
Correct. This is with a Master's Degree, I might add.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 09:18 PM

37,477 posts, read 61,444,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THFox83 View Post
When I say 'kid friendly' in the context I use it in, I am referring to adolescents rather than children. Given my age, teens are kids. lol :-P To address your one statement, I also did chores as a kid, but didn't get an allowance of any kind, and ultimately developed a strong work ethic, but it had nothing to do with growing up in Maine, it has to do with my parents instilling me with a good work ethic and positive values. One could just as easily come from Oakland, CA or Detroit, MI and have a good work ethic. Maine just happened to be where I am from. So I won't say, "I did well in school and became a responsible adult because of living in Maine." No. Maine just happened to be where I live, and fortunately I have good parents.
I am familiar with Oakland. I have a younger brother who works there and cousins who live nearby. [I am very glad I do not live in Oakland]

I think that you are not familiar with Oakland.

From your over all post, maybe your thinking of the Oakland of 50 years ago. But certainly not the past 3 decades.

Do you honestly know anyone who lives in Detroit? I have a dear buddy who lives on the outskirts, he dearly wishes he could bail out of there. I can not imagine anyone using Detroit as an example of a place they WANTED to be.

Quote:
... Moreover, as a child, I also had fun sledding, swimming, rollerskating, etc. just as you did. But as we grow older, our preferences change. So as a teenager, like many teenagers, I wanted some adventure and some culture, as did a lot of my friends, and overall, Maine is not the place to find these things (and before anyone jumps on me for what they will interpret as "Maine has no culture", lemme explain.) For example, if I want to eat Turkish food for lunch, or go to an opera, I can't readily go to the city (or anywhere, really) and eat at a Turkish restaurant, or go to an opera on a Saturday night. There is a minimal "ethnic feel" in Maine (again, my experience, and of course with some exceptions), so like I said in my original post, Maine teens unfortunately may end up viewing the world from a strictly Maine point of view, which I think could be detrimental if one ends up with a job opportunity in, say, San Francisco and New York. With regards to your quote (if you are bored, then you are boring), let me ask you a question: would you find computer programming, or doing a sudoku puzzle, or visiting a science museum, or going to an opera boring? If you said yes, then from MY standpoint YOU would be boring, similar to how you suggest that I am boring because I do not find equal enjoyment in outdoor activities as you do (or your son, as I think you also said). If I did not make it clear in my original post, my boredom as a teenager for the most part transpired from wanting to experience a less sheltered life, and only having the opportunity to participate in activities that I did not find enjoyment in. It's all relative to the individual I suppose. To clarify, I'm not bashing Maine, because I did enjoy my childhood for the most part here, and you don't have to deal with lots of crime: I am merely providing an alternate perspective to life in Maine, so that the original poster of this thread can use the information she has already acquired about Maine, in addition to what I have provided here, as data to evaluate her final decision about moving to Maine. I am just stating that to SOME teenagers who, like me, wanted some city culture and to participate in activities that cities provide, Maine lacks these opportunities, and if the poster has kids who are perhaps interested in the same things I was interested in as a teen, I am just pointing out that Maine does not really offer these.
I get it.

Your confused. No, big deal really.

You are using the term 'Maine' over and over, but not in a context that makes any sense. Now I see. If we swap 'rural' in place of 'Maine', then it makes sense.

You could have said N.M. or Idaho, or Alaska, and it would have worked just as well. But your tone sounded so much like you meant this was exclusive to 'Maine'. Clearly it is not. The only exclusive term that fits your speech is 'rural'.

You do not like rural. No big deal really. Stay urban. Have fun.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
So why did you move back to Maine WITHOUT a job in the first place, and if CA was so fantastic, why come back at all?

So basically you are saying you moved back without having the right skills, experience, or training and somehow it is the State of Maines fault. Did someone from the State come out to CA and drag you back against your will? Damn them!!

Sounds to me like you didn't have a plan, didn't think things through, and now are PO'ed at everybody EXCEPT the person who put you in your situation... yourself. Rant and rave against an entire State because you screwed up... yeah, that makes a lot of sense .
Yes, Bydand it's all you and those pesky Mainers faults that I am so irate and shaking my fists right now! It's everyone else! It's everyone else! *rolls eyes* I came back here for school---that was my plan, so that would eliminate your one theory that, "...[i] didn't have a plan." I had money saved up from working in CA, and was staying with relatives when I came back to Maine. I did yard work for neighbors and friends during summer, so I did earn money, but obviously not enough to move out of state (as most of my money I had saved went toward school and books). Plus, I need to graduate from school first before I can leave. lol I tried looking for a full-time and part-time job for the time I was here, but since I hadn't found anything, I ended up just doing manual labor for a couple different people. I don't think it's the State of Maine's fault at all that I don't have work. If the state or Maine businesses aren't looking for skilled, educated labor, then that is the State's business, which is why I will move elsewhere. lol Lastly, you say, "Time to grow up and take responsibility for your own actions, and stop acting/sounding like a petulant child." Children jump to assumptions and call people names. Just saying. I'm assuming you are an adult, so try to act like a REAL LIFE adult and not an Internet forum adult. Just because you are behind a computer screen doesn't mean your maturity level has to reach pre-pubescent levels.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I am familiar with Oakland. I have a younger brother who works there and cousins who live nearby. [I am very glad I do not live in Oakland]

I think that you are not familiar with Oakland.

From your over all post, maybe your thinking of the Oakland of 50 years ago. But certainly not the past 3 decades.

Do you honestly know anyone who lives in Detroit? I have a dear buddy who lives on the outskirts, he dearly wishes he could bail out of there. I can not imagine anyone using Detroit as an example of a place they WANTED to be.

I get it.

Your confused. No, big deal really.

You are using the term 'Maine' over and over, but not in a context that makes any sense. Now I see. If we swap 'rural' in place of 'Maine', then it makes sense.

You could have said N.M. or Idaho, or Alaska, and it would have worked just as well. But your tone sounded so much like you meant this was exclusive to 'Maine'. Clearly it is not. The only exclusive term that fits your speech is 'rural'.

You do not like rural. No big deal really. Stay urban. Have fun.

I am confused? So... Do I really NOT like an urban environment? Did I not grow up in Maine? I am confused as to why you say I am confused. LOL! Anyway, Forest, I think you are misinterpreting my example about Oakland and Detroit (incidentally, I have been to Oakland, CA a few times to visit friends, as it was only about an hour from where I lived). What I was saying was that its the parents more than it is the location that determines ones work ethic and values. So basically, I was saying that I could live in Oakland, Detroit, or Maine with my parents, and I would still have the same work ethic and values that I have today with the same parents in [insert location]. I responded in like fashion because you said in the last post that one should be appreciative of Maine because it instilled good values in you (something like that, to paraphrase), and I was just saying that I think that can be attributed more to the parents than to the location. And just to be clear, you said to swap 'rural' with 'Maine'. Isn't most of Maine rural?

Old 11-29-2011, 10:02 PM

37,477 posts, read 61,444,537 times
Quote:
I am confused? So... Do I really NOT like an urban environment? Did I not grow up in Maine? I am confused as to why you say I am confused. LOL! Anyway, Forest, I think you are misinterpreting my example about Oakland and Detroit (incidentally, I have been to Oakland, CA a few times to visit friends, as it was only about an hour from where I lived). What I was saying was that its the parents more than it is the location that determines ones work ethic and values. So basically, I was saying that I could live in Oakland, Detroit, or Maine with my parents, and I would still have the same work ethic and values that I have today with the same parents in [insert location]. I responded in like fashion because you said in the last post that one should be appreciative of Maine because it instilled good values in you (something like that, to paraphrase), and I was just saying that I think that can be attributed more to the parents than to the location. And just to be clear, you said to swap 'rural' with 'Maine'. Isn't most of Maine rural?
You repeatedly blamed Maine for your misery. But each example of why you felt that Maine is to blame for how miserable you are, you gave examples of things that are not unique to Maine. Things that instead are common to all rural areas.

It is nice that you like your parents. Your parents were from a rural culture, they raised you as best they knew how and as befitting their culture. The culture of Oakland or of Detroit is far different from rural America. Families in either of those places would be far less likely to raise children with strong work ethics.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
You repeatedly blamed Maine for your misery. But each example of why you felt that Maine is to blame for how miserable you are, you gave examples of things that are not unique to Maine. Things that instead are common to all rural areas.

It is nice that you like your parents. Your parents were from a rural culture, they raised you as best they knew how and as befitting their culture. The culture of Oakland or of Detroit is far different from rural America. Families in either of those places would be far less likely to raise children with strong work ethics.
*Sigh* I am not blaming Maine for this "misery" that you say I have, but facts are facts: the job market here is bad, Maine is not known for being business-friendly, there is not much city culture to partake of, it is the most homogenous state in the nation, there is no major metropolitan area in the state, and it is, for the most part, a sheltered life here, as most of Maine is rural. Am I wrong? And based on my experience, many classmates I went to school with wanted to move out of Maine because they did not like the provincial lifestyle that Maine predominately offers, and most of them have since moved out of state. Yes, as you say, the characteristics of Maine that I mentioned are similar to many other rural areas of the country, but since the majority of Maine is rural, these characteristics are, on the whole, fitting for most of the state. If I lived in South Dakota or Montana, I would probably have the same opinion. The point is that the original poster asked about Maine, I have lived here for many years, and I offered the poster my opinion. If I were from another state that was predominately rural with the same list of aforementioned issues, and someone asked me for my opinion, it would probably be similar to the one I have offered on this thread. It basically boils down to an issue of "to each his own". And, again based on my experience, I was never an outdoors person, and outdoor activities like camping, hiking, etc. are a major means of leisure for people in Maine. Like I said in a previous post: I am simply offering the original poster on this thread, the one who was looking to relocate from Ohio to Maine, an alternate view of life in Maine so she can evaluate the available data in order to make a well-informed choice. I'm sorry if you don't agree with my view of Maine, or if my experiences living here don't correspond with yours, but the beauty of these threads is that people can share differing views, opinions, and experiences. If you have had a different experience living in Maine, then great! If you enjoy the outdoors, great! I am not attacking you for it or making assumptions about you. But if you are signed on to an online forum, expect to hear differing opinions.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:23 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,892,247 times
Quote:
When I say 'kid friendly' in the context I use it in, I am referring to adolescents rather than children. Given my age, teens are kids. lol :-P To address your one statement, I also did chores as a kid, but didn't get an allowance of any kind, and ultimately developed a strong work ethic, but it had nothing to do with growing up in Maine, it has to do with my parents instilling me with a good work ethic and positive values. One could just as easily come from Oakland, CA or Detroit, MI and have a good work ethic. Maine just happened to be where I am from. So I won't say, "I did well in school and became a responsible adult because of living in Maine." No. Maine just happened to be where I live, and fortunately I have good parents. Moreover, as a child, I also had fun sledding, swimming, rollerskating, etc. just as you did. But as we grow older, our preferences change. So as a teenager, like many teenagers, I wanted some adventure and some culture, as did a lot of my friends, and overall, Maine is not the place to find these things (and before anyone jumps on me for what they will interpret as "Maine has no culture", lemme explain.) For example, if I want to eat Turkish food for lunch, or go to an opera, I can't readily go to the city (or anywhere, really) and eat at a Turkish restaurant, or go to an opera on a Saturday night. There is a minimal "ethnic feel" in Maine (again, my experience, and of course with some exceptions), so like I said in my original post, Maine teens unfortunately may end up viewing the world from a strictly Maine point of view, which I think could be detrimental if one ends up with a job opportunity in, say, San Francisco and New York. With regards to your quote (if you are bored, then you are boring), let me ask you a question: would you find computer programming, or doing a sudoku puzzle, or visiting a science museum, or going to an opera boring? If you said yes, then from MY standpoint YOU would be boring, similar to how you suggest that I am boring because I do not find equal enjoyment in outdoor activities as you do (or your son, as I think you also said). If I did not make it clear in my original post, my boredom as a teenager for the most part transpired from wanting to experience a less sheltered life, and only having the opportunity to participate in activities that I did not find enjoyment in. It's all relative to the individual I suppose. To clarify, I'm not bashing Maine, because I did enjoy my childhood for the most part here, and you don't have to deal with lots of crime: I am merely providing an alternate perspective to life in Maine, so that the original poster of this thread can use the information she has already acquired about Maine, in addition to what I have provided here, as data to evaluate her final decision about moving to Maine. I am just stating that to SOME teenagers who, like me, wanted some city culture and to participate in activities that cities provide, Maine lacks these opportunities, and if the poster has kids who are perhaps interested in the same things I was interested in as a teen, I am just pointing out that Maine does not really offer these.
Quote:
Correct. This is with a Master's Degree, I might add.
Quote:
Yes, Bydand it's all you and those pesky Mainers faults that I am so irate and shaking my fists right now! It's everyone else! It's everyone else! *rolls eyes* I came back here for school---that was my plan, so that would eliminate your one theory that, "...[i] didn't have a plan." I had money saved up from working in CA, and was staying with relatives when I came back to Maine. I did yard work for neighbors and friends during summer, so I did earn money, but obviously not enough to move out of state (as most of my money I had saved went toward school and books). Plus, I need to graduate from school first before I can leave. lol I tried looking for a full-time and part-time job for the time I was here, but since I hadn't found anything, I ended up just doing manual labor for a couple different people. I don't think it's the State of Maine's fault at all that I don't have work. If the state or Maine businesses aren't looking for skilled, educated labor, then that is the State's business, which is why I will move elsewhere. lol Lastly, you say, "Time to grow up and take responsibility for your own actions, and stop acting/sounding like a petulant child." Children jump to assumptions and call people names. Just saying. I'm assuming you are an adult, so try to act like a REAL LIFE adult and not an Internet forum adult. Just because you are behind a computer screen doesn't mean your maturity level has to reach pre-pubescent levels.
Quote:
*Sigh* I am not blaming Maine for this "misery" that you say I have, but facts are facts: the job market here is bad, Maine is not known for being business-friendly, there is not much city culture to partake of, it is the most homogenous state in the nation, there is no major metropolitan area in the state, and it is, for the most part, a sheltered life here, as most of Maine is rural. Am I wrong? And based on my experience, many classmates I went to school with wanted to move out of Maine because they did not like the provincial lifestyle that Maine predominately offers, and most of them have since moved out of state. Yes, as you say, the characteristics of Maine that I mentioned are similar to many other rural areas of the country, but since the majority of Maine is rural, these characteristics are, on the whole, fitting for most of the state. If I lived in South Dakota or Montana, I would probably have the same opinion. The point is that the original poster asked about Maine, I have lived here for many years, and I offered the poster my opinion. If I were from another state that was predominately rural with the same list of aforementioned issues, and someone asked me for my opinion, it would probably be similar to the one I have offered on this thread. It basically boils down to an issue of "to each his own". And, again based on my experience, I was never an outdoors person, and outdoor activities like camping, hiking, etc. are a major means of leisure for people in Maine. Like I said in a previous post: I am simply offering the original poster on this thread, the one who was looking to relocate from Ohio to Maine, an alternate view of life in Maine so she can evaluate the available data in order to make a well-informed choice. I'm sorry if you don't agree with my view of Maine, or if my experiences living here don't correspond with yours, but the beauty of these threads is that people can share differing views, opinions, and experiences. If you have had a different experience living in Maine, then great! If you enjoy the outdoors, great! I am not attacking you for it or making assumptions about you. But if you are signed on to an online forum, expect to hear differing opinions.
Never saw a person with so little to say write so much. Must be bored stiff to dredge up a topic and argue this heavily over minutia. ANyone seen the nordic walking sticks?

Old 11-30-2011, 05:13 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,552,191 times
THFox83 sounds like he has a little maturing to do. Just as well he lives somewhere other than Maine. lol He is one ANGRY dude!

Old 11-30-2011, 03:59 PM

276 posts, read 849,146 times
I can only laugh at all this because my town as 3500 or so residents and it's too busy for me with way to much traffic. I can't get rural enough, I dislike all these big box stores and miss a good old fashioned general stores and customer service. I think Maine is catching up with the rest of country. But if I can sell my house for what I need to get free and clear you can bet I'm going rural

Old 11-30-2011, 04:03 PM

276 posts, read 849,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Never saw a person with so little to say write so much. Must be bored stiff to dredge up a topic and argue this heavily over minutia. ANyone seen the nordic walking sticks?
Can't say as I have but I saw some cool wooden walking sticks in Corinth the other day that looked hand made but were probably made elsewhere
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine