Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 02:50 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,270,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by THFox83 View Post
I would love to leave Maine, but unfortunately I cannot afford to move out of the state because I do not have the money to do so. Why am I in my present pecuniary dilemma? Because I have not been able to find full OR part-time employment in this state for over a year. Why? Because I am not a (a) truck mechanic (b) construction worker (c) farmer (d) lobsterman or (e) warehouse worker (although I applied for a job to work in a warehouse, but I was turned down because I was over qualified). Like I mentioned in my previous post, Mainers HATE businesses coming to this state, which is why Forbes ranked it the worst state in the U.S. to do business in (in part also to the high tax rate and lack of skilled, educated labor..... which employers in Maine don't want, ironically). When I moved out to California a few years ago, I found a job (a good job that I enjoyed!) within WEEKS of living there, whereas it has been over a year since I have been back in Maine and I can't find any work (literally, ANY, in addition to work suited for my degree). I have searched online, the newspaper, job fairs, talked to professionals, been to three different staffing agencies, and still nothing. Moreover, apparently in Maine, when employers post a job ad for employment, it must be a Maine thing that employers are not supposed to call you back or provide you with an update regarding the status of your job application. Very professional, and logical: post an ad seeking employees, then not hire anyone. Good use of company funds... *rolls eyes* So basically, it's because of the terrible job market and lack of opportunity in this state that I cannot earn money to move out. Otherwise, I would leave in a heartbeat! And when I do, you can help me pack. ;-)

Sign into mainecarreercenter, when you "register" what type of job you are looking for, you will get alerts when a job opens

this is free for employers, so it's one of the most used with employers

You have a degree and can't find a job?? for more than a year??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 09:02 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,890,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THFox83 View Post
When I moved out to California a few years ago, I found a job (a good job that I enjoyed!) within WEEKS of living there, whereas it has been over a year since I have been back in Maine and I can't find any work (literally, ANY, in addition to work suited for my degree).
So why did you move back to Maine WITHOUT a job in the first place, and if CA was so fantastic, why come back at all?

Quote:
So basically, it's because of the terrible job market and lack of opportunity in this state that I cannot earn money to move out. Otherwise, I would leave in a heartbeat! And when I do, you can help me pack. ;-)
So basically you are saying you moved back without having the right skills, experience, or training and somehow it is the State of Maines fault. Did someone from the State come out to CA and drag you back against your will? Damn them!!

Sounds to me like you didn't have a plan, didn't think things through, and now are PO'ed at everybody EXCEPT the person who put you in your situation... yourself. Rant and rave against an entire State because you screwed up... yeah, that makes a lot of sense . Time to grow up and take responsibility for your own actions, and stop acting/sounding like a petulant child.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:40 AM

37,500 posts, read 61,499,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
... Sounds to me like you didn't have a plan, didn't think things through, and now are PO'ed at everybody EXCEPT the person who put you in your situation... yourself. Rant and rave against an entire State because you screwed up... yeah, that makes a lot of sense . Time to grow up and take responsibility for your own actions, and stop acting / sounding like a petulant child.
I sense that you are holding in a bit of frustration.

Maybe you should let it out from time to time.

Tell us how you really feel about these issues.

When you hold back so much, it makes it hard for all of us to fully grasp what you are trying to say.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I sense that you are holding in a bit of frustration.

Maybe you should let it out from time to time.

Tell us how you really feel about these issues.

When you hold back so much, it makes it hard for all of us to fully grasp what you are trying to say.

Yes, one of my flaws. I never let my true feeling be known and people always have to guess what I really mean. Do you think I should be more forthright with this poster... Naw, I'd probably be banned if I really let them know what my full thoughts are.

As a side note... how are the apple trees you planted a few years ago doing? An apples yet, or still a couple years off?

Old 11-15-2011, 10:45 AM

37,500 posts, read 61,499,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Yes, one of my flaws. I never let my true feeling be known and people always have to guess what I really mean. Do you think I should be more forthright with this poster... Naw, I'd probably be banned if I really let them know what my full thoughts are.

As a side note... how are the apple trees you planted a few years ago doing? An apples yet, or still a couple years off?
This year we got our first apples from the orchard. Not very many but a few. We hope to double that next year

To the OP, I wish the best of luck to everyone moving to Maine

Old 11-15-2011, 07:39 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,118,365 times
HAHAHAHAHA!!! I'm laughing so hard about Hussein's capture being the same time as the basketball tourney games that I can't even reply to the rest of that post. oh boy.... don't see how you can grow up in Maine and get December and February vacation, first week of March mixed up for that. You know my opinion for stuff like this. Roll with a T....

Old 11-16-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
Roll with a T....
rollT... nope
rolTl... nope
roTll... nope
rToll... nope
Troll... Oh... we may be onto something

Old 11-17-2011, 05:42 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,715,261 times
THfox83 imagines:
"Mainers HATE businesses coming to this state, which is why Forbes ranked it the worst state in the U.S. to do business"

That used to be true. We have a new legislature and a new governor. The first thing they did was put up a sign as you come into Maine that says; "Maine is Open for Business." There is an old saying, "Lead, follow or get out of the way." For decades Maine government did none of those things. They were just a barrier to economic activity. Now they are getting out of the way and beginning to actually lead. You'll like our brand of "hope and change". We get it.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:06 PM

26,433 posts, read 46,665,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
THfox83 imagines:
"Mainers HATE businesses coming to this state, which is why Forbes ranked it the worst state in the U.S. to do business"

That used to be true. We have a new legislature and a new governor. The first thing they did was put up a sign as you come into Maine that says; "Maine is Open for Business." There is an old saying, "Lead, follow or get out of the way." For decades Maine government did none of those things. They were just a barrier to economic activity. Now they are getting out of the way and beginning to actually lead. You'll like our brand of "hope and change". We get it.
Hopefully it resembles more of the NH approach where people, organizations, businesses, and other communities work together to solve problems and grow.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:02 PM

13 posts, read 15,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
Maine is not a kid friendly state??

Reminds me of the old saying, if you are bored, then you are boring

I grew up in the state, as did my son, and their's plenty to "do" all around.
I had to do chores growing up, and I got an allowance for it- it wasn't given as it is today-the more outside work I did, the more i got paid- A very good lesson early on, makes you appreciate what you have,
many kids were in my neighborhood, back in the day when you could play outside, and your mother came hollering for ya- dinner is ready (suppa)
we played all the kids games outside, and when it snowed, we went sledding
I seem to remember studying and reading alot to, and playing sports at school, and going to the Y
in the summertime, theirs never enough hrs in the day, we went with our friends to, funtown, beaches, camps, fishing, some of us even worked in summer for extra money- I remember playing chess and ping pong for hours-and we loved it-
My son grew up in a different generation, I remember atari in my late teens, and it wasnt all that exciting to me- but i did like the chess cartridge we could play on tv
my son, (late teens now) grew up in the electronic game age- gameboys, video games, and even computers, however, up until the age of 13, he loved to go play a game of pick up basketball, or to the town park and play soccer, and football with other kids
always plenty to do, his fav thing was to go fishing/atv-ing, it was great time between father and son, I miss it,
and snowmobiling, and sliding, we had a blast in the wintertime- he had some friends that didnt have (outdoor(sy) parents, and they loved to come over and go sledding, and sliding,
also remember sleeping out in a tent, and having bonfires
I taught many kids how to fish, not just boys, but girls that liked it

whenever I hear 'NOTHING' for kids, pardon the expression, but thats b.s.

I could go on and on,

Also not all kids-"move away"
my son is in a pharmacy college in maine-he could have went out of state if he wanted to, he may even (gasp) stay and work in maine too, it's his decision.

As far as being sheltered, you may have a slight point comparatively, but if you saw my sons graduating class, you wouldnt be so quick to paint the state with a broad brush
When I say 'kid friendly' in the context I use it in, I am referring to adolescents rather than children. Given my age, teens are kids. lol :-P To address your one statement, I also did chores as a kid, but didn't get an allowance of any kind, and ultimately developed a strong work ethic, but it had nothing to do with growing up in Maine, it has to do with my parents instilling me with a good work ethic and positive values. One could just as easily come from Oakland, CA or Detroit, MI and have a good work ethic. Maine just happened to be where I am from. So I won't say, "I did well in school and became a responsible adult because of living in Maine." No. Maine just happened to be where I live, and fortunately I have good parents. Moreover, as a child, I also had fun sledding, swimming, rollerskating, etc. just as you did. But as we grow older, our preferences change. So as a teenager, like many teenagers, I wanted some adventure and some culture, as did a lot of my friends, and overall, Maine is not the place to find these things (and before anyone jumps on me for what they will interpret as "Maine has no culture", lemme explain.) For example, if I want to eat Turkish food for lunch, or go to an opera, I can't readily go to the city (or anywhere, really) and eat at a Turkish restaurant, or go to an opera on a Saturday night. There is a minimal "ethnic feel" in Maine (again, my experience, and of course with some exceptions), so like I said in my original post, Maine teens unfortunately may end up viewing the world from a strictly Maine point of view, which I think could be detrimental if one ends up with a job opportunity in, say, San Francisco and New York. With regards to your quote (if you are bored, then you are boring), let me ask you a question: would you find computer programming, or doing a sudoku puzzle, or visiting a science museum, or going to an opera boring? If you said yes, then from MY standpoint YOU would be boring, similar to how you suggest that I am boring because I do not find equal enjoyment in outdoor activities as you do (or your son, as I think you also said). If I did not make it clear in my original post, my boredom as a teenager for the most part transpired from wanting to experience a less sheltered life, and only having the opportunity to participate in activities that I did not find enjoyment in. It's all relative to the individual I suppose. To clarify, I'm not bashing Maine, because I did enjoy my childhood for the most part here, and you don't have to deal with lots of crime: I am merely providing an alternate perspective to life in Maine, so that the original poster of this thread can use the information she has already acquired about Maine, in addition to what I have provided here, as data to evaluate her final decision about moving to Maine. I am just stating that to SOME teenagers who, like me, wanted some city culture and to participate in activities that cities provide, Maine lacks these opportunities, and if the poster has kids who are perhaps interested in the same things I was interested in as a teen, I am just pointing out that Maine does not really offer these.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine