Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 05:06 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,751,941 times

Advertisements

Would like to get some...I just don't know if I'm going to have enough money in time after I pay for rent and gas and get caught up.

How much do winter tires cost? I would assume the same as other tires? So that's $400 right there. Don't know what to do about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
You are going to need winter tires. I suggest General Altimax Arctics(inexpensive and CR reports rated TOPS). If you are going to have to drive any distance in winter, you cannot get away with all seasons(which are really 3 seasons). You do not want to get stuck, and you don't want to be worrying about a long day at work and then dealing with tires that don't keep you on the road in snow, cold wet, and ICE.

I'm retired. I really don't have to go. But last winter there were several times that things were going on and I just didn't want to chance it in my 3-season tires.

People who have to drive more than 25 minutes in regular snow, ice and very cold rain, get winter tires---if they're smart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 05:37 PM

325 posts, read 706,360 times
Do it. Change is good. And you'll feel better in a new place.

Good luck!

Old 11-14-2012, 05:44 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,132,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Would like to get some...I just don't know if I'm going to have enough money in time after I pay for rent and gas and get caught up.

How much do winter tires cost? I would assume the same as other tires? So that's $400 right there. Don't know what to do about that.
I paid about $400 for the Altimax Arctics for four of them for my Subaru---205-70-R16(you need them on all four wheels or your rear end will spin out on turns). I bought them from Tirebuyer.com, which was way cheaper by several hundred bucks from Harmon's in Ellsworth. Shipping is also free. Smaller wheels could be as low as $51.

First time I ever bought winter tires. Would love to buy a set for the AWD For Explorer, but will have to be satisfied with the Wrangler R/T's which are on them now.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:46 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
Besides the tire commissioner slyfox, how many on here use winter studded tires? or use all-season/3 season tires?

of course its a good idea to have winter tires,,,,,, but if you are a cautious driver, all season radials are fine

Old 11-14-2012, 07:44 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,698,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
Besides the tire commissioner slyfox, how many on here use winter studded tires? or use all-season/3 season tires?

of course its a good idea to have winter tires,,,,,, but if you are a cautious driver, all season radials are fine
If I could afford it, I would probably get winter tires. That being said, I lived in WI for 20+ years and now in Maine for 3 years and I've always just used all-season tires. The plows, especially in my neck of the woods (Camden) do a great job keeping the roads clear. Just my 2 cents.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:51 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
If I could afford it, I would probably get winter tires. That being said, I lived in WI for 20+ years and now in Maine for 3 years and I've always just used all-season tires. The plows, especially in my neck of the woods (Camden) do a great job keeping the roads clear. Just my 2 cents.
i drive more than most and only one year did I have winter tires-it came with the car

I'm with you, yes, its a good idea to have winter tires, but Ive had all season tires most winters, and I think its more important to be a cautious driver.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:07 PM

My only concern about the driving is that I have to get up at the crack of dawn and what if the plows aren't out yet?

Sure, in towns they may have been but what about all along Route 1? All 65 miles I have to drive?

What about those hills I have to go up...what if I get stuck behind someone who is driving like a snail up those hills and I lose traction? (These people can't drive when there's NOTHING on the roads...now we are talking about adding snow and ice to the same roads?)

Those sharp curves....even going slow, throw in a patch of ice, could be serious issues. Would winter tires help in that regard? Of course one should drive much slower and use way more caution but again, those hills and some of those sharp curves on route 1...yah, they do concern me in winter time.

But, again, I am not sure I'm going to have the means to get winter tires in time. I have all season...mud and snow...I guess that's the same? I don't know, I have mud and snow tires. But they are not winter tires.

Last year, during our "mild" winter, I was at a stop light, it turned green, I was making a left turn and even though I took off slowly, I still skidded. You can see why I might be a little anxious about the hills and sharp curves.

Also keep in mind, my vehicle is VERY light even if I throw a couple buckets of cat litter in the back to add some weight.

What will this winter be like? Some have told me it will be mild, like last year, some have told me we are supposed to expect horrible conditions this year. It's definitely something on my mind.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:16 PM

37,474 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

We use winter tires with studs.

However, I should add that we live along the river where we often have fog and the fog settles onto pavement forming black ice.

We were experiencing black ice 2 to 6 times, every year, before we finally shifted to studded tires. It makes a huge difference.

If it was not for the ice? We likely would not use studs.

The only option for a cautious driver [without studs] for when there is black ice on the road, is to stay home.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:47 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,698,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
My only concern about the driving is that I have to get up at the crack of dawn and what if the plows aren't out yet?

Sure, in towns they may have been but what about all along Route 1? All 65 miles I have to drive?

What about those hills I have to go up...what if I get stuck behind someone who is driving like a snail up those hills and I lose traction? (These people can't drive when there's NOTHING on the roads...now we are talking about adding snow and ice to the same roads?)

Those sharp curves....even going slow, throw in a patch of ice, could be serious issues. Would winter tires help in that regard? Of course one should drive much slower and use way more caution but again, those hills and some of those sharp curves on route 1...yah, they do concern me in winter time.

But, again, I am not sure I'm going to have the means to get winter tires in time. I have all season...mud and snow...I guess that's the same? I don't know, I have mud and snow tires. But they are not winter tires.

Last year, during our "mild" winter, I was at a stop light, it turned green, I was making a left turn and even though I took off slowly, I still skidded. You can see why I might be a little anxious about the hills and sharp curves.

Also keep in mind, my vehicle is VERY light even if I throw a couple buckets of cat litter in the back to add some weight.

What will this winter be like? Some have told me it will be mild, like last year, some have told me we are supposed to expect horrible conditions this year. It's definitely something on my mind.
From my experience, Route 1 is especially well taken care of since it's the major highway along the coast. If you can swing winter tires, go for it. Better to be safe, especially since you have a long commute. Good luck!

Old 11-16-2012, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
From my experience, Route 1 is especially well taken care of since it's the major highway along the coast. If you can swing winter tires, go for it. Better to be safe, especially since you have a long commute. Good luck!
What if it starts snowing at 4am and I have to be on the road by 4:45am, (giving myself plenty of time to get there since I would have to drive like a turtle), will the plows be out that quick, all along that route?

I'm talking 1A...basically Bangor, Hampden, Winterport, etc to Route 1, all the way to Camden, Rockport, etc.

Will they really have that all plowed in 45 minutes?

I don't know if I will have enough for winter tires...is the point. If I don't...this is going to really suck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine