Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 07:50 PM

793 posts, read 1,343,347 times

Advertisements

While I agree that no one should have to sell their home due to rising property taxes, Prop. 13 isn't the answer!

The quality of public education here in New England is one of the many reasons why we moved from California.

During the 60's and 70's, California's public schools were at the top of the heap. Once Prop. 13 went into effect, the schools slowly went downhill. Year after year, they fell down the list...Look at them now. They're a disgrace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 03:37 AM

885 posts, read 1,495,397 times
Radio, not all of the schools there are bad but sadly a vast majority are. I don't think it was all due to prop 13. A lot of it has to do with the fact that there are so many anchor kids in them. too many programs devoted to them. A lot of my friends that could afford to, sent their kids to Christian schools or charter schools. These are good schools in that they pay the teachers about the same or better than public schools because they are non union controlled. AND because they stick to a low teacher/student ratio.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:36 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,549,100 times
I may be wrong but I doubt that you will find much of a selection of good homes "on the water" within an hour's drive of Portland, for $250K. Harpswell is a lovely location but you might want to consider Bath or Brunswick. Brunswick (IMO) has a very nice downtown with some good restaurants and Bowdoin college is right there too offering a bit of culture to the mix.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namder1 View Post
Radio, not all of the schools there are bad but sadly a vast majority are. I don't think it was all due to prop 13. A lot of it has to do with the fact that there are so many anchor kids in them. too many programs devoted to them. A lot of my friends that could afford to, sent their kids to Christian schools or charter schools. These are good schools in that they pay the teachers about the same or better than public schools because they are non union controlled. AND because they stick to a low teacher/student ratio.
Lots of factors besides Prop. 13 have contributed to the deterioration, for sure.

What really astonishes me is that the majority of Californians simply accept that the schools are bad. Statistics and low test scores don't seem to shock anyone anymore....Well, they shocked me! I had no idea until I had my own kids and started researching.

People shouldn't have to send their kids to private schools for an adequate education. Plus, not all of us can afford it.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:30 AM

37 posts, read 70,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Flyer View Post
Lots of factors besides Prop. 13 have contributed to the deterioration, for sure.

What really astonishes me is that the majority of Californians simply accept that the schools are bad. Statistics and low test scores don't seem to shock anyone anymore....Well, they shocked me! I had no idea until I had my own kids and started researching.

People shouldn't have to send their kids to private schools for an adequate education. Plus, not all of us can afford it.
^^^a huge reason why we are leaving california.

Old 06-21-2013, 04:34 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Flyer View Post
While I agree that no one should have to sell their home due to rising property taxes, Prop. 13 isn't the answer!

The quality of public education here in New England is one of the many reasons why we moved from California.

During the 60's and 70's, California's public schools were at the top of the heap. Once Prop. 13 went into effect, the schools slowly went downhill. Year after year, they fell down the list...Look at them now. They're a disgrace.
If the problem was the result of Prop 13... all public schools would be a disgrace and that is simply not true.

My city spends about 15k per student per year and has public schools ranked at the bottom as well as the top... clearly not as simple as the money spent.

For a real understanding one must realize Prop 13 came about in part because the State took control of the Public Schools...

It was one thing to pay high property taxes with the money funding local schools... quite another when the State took Property Taxes from local districts to be used elsewhere.

The court decision that started the decline is called the Serrano Decision...

Old 06-21-2013, 07:35 PM

I know that Prop. 13 isn't the only reason, Ultrarunner...That's why I mentioned many factors. We've discussed this to death in the CA. forum. But because I know your posts are fair and I respect your opinion, I will look more into the Serrano Decision.

And yes, I know that there are some good public schools in CA, but far too many are below par. Something just isn't right when a neighborhood is filled with McMansions and luxury cars in the driveways, yet the local school down the block is run-down and the students perform poorly, and this is in the suburbs. I don't know the situation in Southern CA. cities, but you and I both know how dismal it is in San Francisco.

I guess if you grow up with it, you don't know anything different. But I didn't grow up with it, I grew up here in Maine. I'll tell you this though, I never appreciated my own education until I started researching public schools in CA.

Another thing, Mr. Flyer attended 12 years of parochial school in CA and we both agree that I probably got a better education through the public schools here in little ole Maine than he did at private schools in affluent Marin County.

I'm glad I spent 20+years in CA. It made me who I am, but I'm also happy to be home. My kids might not agree, but I know in my heart that this is a better environment for them too.

(Sorry I took this thread off tangent.)

Old 06-21-2013, 08:51 PM

375 posts, read 610,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
I may be wrong but I doubt that you will find much of a selection of good homes "on the water" within an hour's drive of Portland, for $250K. Harpswell is a lovely location but you might want to consider Bath or Brunswick. Brunswick (IMO) has a very nice downtown with some good restaurants and Bowdoin college is right there too offering a bit of culture to the mix.
Your point is well taken but I didn't actually say "on the water"; rather as close to the rocky shore as possible. True, pickings will be slim, but there's still hope. As an example, I spotted the listing of a very nice looking little newer stick-built place on several acres very close to the water half way down the Harpswell peninsula and it's around $250K.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA2ME View Post
... but there's still hope.
Never lose hope, CA2ME.

I live in Brunswick. Harpswell is a nice spot and it looks like you are definitely doing research.

You haven't mentioned if you have children...If so, be aware that Harpswell kids attend the Topsham middle and high schools (Mt. Ararat), not Brunswick. They have to travel through Brunswick to get there and while I'm sure they're good schools, they're not rated quite as highly as Brunswick's. Also, it can be quite a long bus ride every day.

Last edited by Radio Flyer; 06-22-2013 at 09:22 AM..

Old 06-22-2013, 02:39 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,391,576 times
Brunswick if I had a choice. I bought my latest motorcycle from a guy in Harpswell in April '10 and rode it back to the west. When I called him from a craigslist ad and set up an appointment, I couldn't believe his house on the water with a dock and very large boat docked there. When he opened his garage door and I saw my reflection off his floor and not one thing out of place all next to this shiny black bike that he had just detailed, I just said, "sold!" I'd bet that his place was worth hundreds of thou....oh I can't even count that high.

I have friends in Brunswick and both have affordable homes with very large lots and great neighbors. Lots of amenities and close to Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine