Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 04:22 AM

375 posts, read 608,949 times

Advertisements

Greetings all. I've been reading your helpful postings for the past two weeks and am re-familiarizing myself with Maine since I'm considering retiring there in less than two years.

Born and raised in Aroostook county, graduated from UMO decades ago and spit for California as a young man in search of greater opportunities and more sunshine. I cannot afford to remain in my current location when I retire; and I'm searching for a quiet, peaceful place to rest these aging bones and enjoy the Maine that I remember.

I'm aware that there are many affordable places off the beaten paths especially in, but not limited to, western and northern areas; but her dramatic coastline is darn near irresistible and I'm investigating what $250K will buy as close as I can get to the rocky shore.

Searching this forum didn't bring up much on Harpswell except for mention of the hordes of tourists that descend on the place in the summertime.

Anyone with personal experience in Harpswell - living there or visiting for summers? I'm guessing there's lots of upside, but I'd like to know what the downside might be. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 05:54 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA2ME View Post
Greetings all. I've been reading your helpful postings for the past two weeks and am re-familiarizing myself with Maine since I'm considering retiring there in less than two years.

Born and raised in Aroostook county, graduated from UMO decades ago and spit for California as a young man in search of greater opportunities and more sunshine. I cannot afford to remain in my current location when I retire; and I'm searching for a quiet, peaceful place to rest these aging bones and enjoy the Maine that I remember.

I'm aware that there are many affordable places off the beaten paths especially in, but not limited to, western and northern areas; but her dramatic coastline is darn near irresistible and I'm investigating what $250K will buy as close as I can get to the rocky shore.

Searching this forum didn't bring up much on Harpswell except for mention of the hordes of tourists that descend on the place in the summertime.

Anyone with personal experience in Harpswell - living there or visiting for summers? I'm guessing there's lots of upside, but I'd like to know what the downside might be. Thanks.
See the thread I created called "BEST place to grow old in Maine." I don't believe anyone addressed Harpswell. Perhaps we could form a club called "Retiring to Maine and promising not to try to change a thing about it." We could do a meetup and compare notes!

One thing we want to take into account is how much driving we want to do at age 75 or 80. That is a main(e) consideration for us.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:29 AM

278 posts, read 655,907 times
Harpswell is a great little place. My semi-retired in-laws have a place on the water overlooking upper and lower Goose Islands. Interestingly their other home is in Sacramento California. Harpswell has a mixture of very affluent, as well as very "non-affluent". By the way the crow flies, they are only about 10 miles from Portland. However, being on a peninsula (several actually), they are 45 miles from Portland by car. It takes me the same amount of time to get to their place by car or by boat (just under an hour).

Because Harpswell is on several peninsulas, it may feel like several communities (Cundy's Harbor side, and the Middle Bay side). They closed one of their two elementary schools and bus the kids almost an hour from side to the other.

You can absolutely find a home for retirement for $250K. Taxes are relatively low as well. You will need to drive 10 miles to Brunswick for any amenities (shopping).

Old 06-19-2013, 11:41 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,094,896 times
Surprisingly, I found some small homes and trailers for sale in Harpswell in your price range. But beware the property taxes! The Harpswell PTB consider this an affluent, "high-end" community, and they charge accordingly. High taxes have driven a lot of the local lobstermen to sell waterfront homes that had been in their families for generations.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:58 PM

278 posts, read 655,907 times
The Mill rate for Harpswell is 5.76, which is a bargain compared to 16.50 that we currently pay in South Portland. It's actually amazing considering the commercial property (Maine Mall, National & Fairchild Semiconductors and the like) that South Portland has in its tax base compared to Harpswell.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:14 PM

885 posts, read 1,494,340 times
I totally agree newenglandgirl! I have friends in Texas that are complaining about this very thing and are fighting to keep their state as is!

Old 06-19-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
See the thread I created called "BEST place to grow old in Maine." I don't believe anyone addressed Harpswell. Perhaps we could form a club called "Retiring to Maine and promising not to try to change a thing about it." We could do a meetup and compare notes!

One thing we want to take into account is how much driving we want to do at age 75 or 80. That is a main(e) consideration for us.
Read it, NEgirl; lots of great responses there and in "Who Moved to Maine After Retirement", another great thread. Getting a wide variety of responses raises issues I might otherwise have ignored or been unaware of. Home resale potential and mil rates, for example; so I've got to choose wisely to avoid costly mistakes.

Yes, distance is significant. Trying to keep my initial search to places within an hour's drive of Portland.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddei63 View Post
Harpswell is a great little place. My semi-retired in-laws have a place on the water overlooking upper and lower Goose Islands. Interestingly their other home is in Sacramento California. Harpswell has a mixture of very affluent, as well as very "non-affluent". By the way the crow flies, they are only about 10 miles from Portland. However, being on a peninsula (several actually), they are 45 miles from Portland by car. It takes me the same amount of time to get to their place by car or by boat (just under an hour).

Because Harpswell is on several peninsulas, it may feel like several communities (Cundy's Harbor side, and the Middle Bay side). They closed one of their two elementary schools and bus the kids almost an hour from side to the other.

You can absolutely find a home for retirement for $250K. Taxes are relatively low as well. You will need to drive 10 miles to Brunswick for any amenities (shopping).
Thanks, Riddei; I thought Harpswell was more high end than I could afford, so I'm surprised at your mention of it being mixed with "very non-affluent" also.

Driving 10 miles to Brunswick wouldn't be an issue, though a trip to Portland might be only monthly. Is there a Maine equivalent of Costco in Portland where one can load up on bulk food and other essentials to avoid high supermarket prices?

Old 06-19-2013, 06:39 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,094,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riddei63 View Post
The Mill rate for Harpswell is 5.76, which is a bargain compared to 16.50 that we currently pay in South Portland. It's actually amazing considering the commercial property (Maine Mall, National & Fairchild Semiconductors and the like) that South Portland has in its tax base compared to Harpswell.
The mil rate is lower but the property values are higher. All that waterfront property.

ETA: But you're right -- low-priced property might benefit.

Last edited by Coaster; 06-19-2013 at 07:10 PM..

Old 06-19-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
Surprisingly, I found some small homes and trailers for sale in Harpswell in your price range. But beware the property taxes! The Harpswell PTB consider this an affluent, "high-end" community, and they charge accordingly. High taxes have driven a lot of the local lobstermen to sell waterfront homes that had been in their families for generations.
No one should have to sell their home due to ever-rising taxes particularly if it's been in the family for generations. Looks like Maine could use a dose of California's prop 13 to stabilize property taxes. Also, is there no property tax break for seniors and/or low income?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine