Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2017, 11:13 AM

810 posts, read 852,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
We have about 70 inches now on MDI. This is probably about where we should be at this time of year. Unfortunately we got 58 of those inches in the past 11 days. We normally get about 75-90 inches a year, so we should get another big storm or a couple of piddling ones before its all over. of course 2 years ago we got about 155 inches total, about double the average.
you have 70 inches on the ground or that is the total for the season? 58" still on the ground now?

We have been getting rain rain and more rain. This week more of the same. Some flooding but we had a little break so the waters did recede.

Are some parts of Acadia open in the winter? Is it possible to get to Cadillac Mountain in the winter? Thinking of visiting but probably won't be able to this year too many logistical problems with it. I visited there many years ago and I was just looking at my pictures of the sun rising. Makes me want to go back because I now have a much better camera. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2017, 12:33 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
Access is limited in winter at Acadia. They have had numerous upsets in schedules due to staffing, sequestration, weather and goal definition. The best thing to do is call ahead and see if an individual can snowshoe or cross country ski to the summit of Cadillac Mountain for example. You don't want to journey from several states away and find a locked gate with a sign that says you cannot complete your planned trip. Do not use a park brochure that is two years old to plan your trip.

Moderator cut: This isn't the Politics forum.

Last edited by mensaguy; 02-20-2017 at 06:52 AM.. Reason: Removing political reference

Old 02-19-2017, 02:41 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,906,574 times
My friend just climbed up yesterday.

Old 02-19-2017, 04:43 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,130,367 times
My biggest problem with all this snow is the insulation in my house. When the owners before the previous owners had it, about 25 years ago, they super insulated it. I"m pretty sure that I have about and R-40 in the roof. I certainly have at least r-25 in the walls.

This means that the snow doesn't melt from the inside hardly at all. Almost everybody else's house has had most of the snow melt off, but mine is still there. Its about the same level as my totally unheated garage across the driveway from the house. The previous owners said they never ever bothered raking and they had as much as 4 feet of snow on it now and then without a problem, so I hope the owners who did all the work also put in very strong rafter and beam supports too.

Even so, I am out there raking and hoping that if we get rain, its a lot of rain, so that it all melts away at once.

Old 02-19-2017, 05:16 PM

It seems the weather is slowly starting to turn. Temps in the 30s this week!

What did today's 50+ temps do to the snowpack down country?? They are saying it will be 40s and rain down there on Saturday, so enjoy the snow while you have it!!

Old 02-19-2017, 06:59 PM

We had 42 degrees today and a light misty rain for a while. Our low moisture content snow readily absorbed the rain. The snow depth did not decline much at all.

Thee is another hazard to consider. With all this snow, water will gather at the bottom of stairs, along walks and driveways. It will freeze over night and be hazardous in the mornings. You can dump lots of salt on it, but the water still won't drain from some areas. The best approach in those areas is to put down junk rugs that will enhance traction where you need to walk. When it thaws and drains, just pick up the junk rug and hang it out to dry. The dog will like it if nothing else.

Old 02-20-2017, 03:39 PM

749 posts, read 418,911 times
Default The melting and slick stuff!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
We had 42 degrees today and a light misty rain for a while. Our low moisture content snow readily absorbed the rain. The snow depth did not decline much at all.

Thee is another hazard to consider. With all this snow, water will gather at the bottom of stairs, along walks and driveways. It will freeze over night and be hazardous in the mornings. You can dump lots of salt on it, but the water still won't drain from some areas. The best approach in those areas is to put down junk rugs that will enhance traction where you need to walk. When it thaws and drains, just pick up the junk rug and hang it out to dry. The dog will like it if nothing else.
Northern Maine Land Man,
I so appreciate your suggestions..As Newbies in Maine, it is nice to see recommendations, however, I believe we brought with us a simple, yet, wonderful way to deal with the slick steps and other areas....We use crushed oyster shells (one can obtain them at your local feed store, sold as poultry, calcium supplement)! They are not round, like sand, so there's no slippage.. It actually digs into the ice and when it continues to melt it does not harm the soil! We even carry a baggie in our vehicle in case we come home and it's iced over what we spread!

Old 02-25-2017, 02:49 PM

749 posts, read 418,911 times
Here, in Aurora, ME, 53℉/11.67℃, Dew Point 49℉/9.44℃, Winds SSE 7mph/11.26kph...
Squish, squish, squish! Sigh! Crunch, crunch, crunch, slip and slide! Weeee! Ah, the thawing of the snow on Birch Meadows is a wonderful experience this year! Still draped in snow, she is slowly being disrobed to expose the trails I once tread upon, when her curvaceous dips and rises were not quite so obvious (nor highlighted in white drifts)! The squirrels came out to play and gobble as much sunflower seeds as they could, before being discovered. The doves have rejoined the Blue Jays and reminded them of their presence with a proper pecking! Raven is now three, instead of one or two! They play in flight and one Raven was spied just sitting under the bird feeder waiting for the seeds to fall from a Blue Jay above it! Now, when the Ravens fly by and I greet them, they respond in like manner………Spotted a sole, Red Winged, Blackbird under the feeders.…can it be…Spring is on the wing and I’ll hear their song soon?

Old 02-25-2017, 03:01 PM

Lots of "snow fog" today. Snow is melting but there are tons of snowsledders up here for school break. Anything north of Millinocket will be okay for a few more weeks. I am guessing that the season is over in central, Eastern and southern Maine.

Old 02-26-2017, 10:46 AM

I saw my first dove today. Our snow has dropped more than 2 feet in the last 5 days. Sunshine and a warm wind are further reducing the snow pack. I went up to camp and my roof is OK with only about 10 inches of snow on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine