Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 10:53 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,720,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
Quote from Skip "I travel a fair amount (on the road salesman -http://www.designsbyskip.com), and will say, Maine is MISSING some great things.

- Florida has some of the nicest city parks I seen
- DC has got some much to do, museums and all
- NY, is NY, what can't you see or do here
- VA., has the Blue Ridge Parkway, Skyline Drive and many war museums and sites"

I am not a traveling salesman, but I have traveled to more than 25 states (marriage related) including the places you mentioned. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but Maine isn't MISSING anything. Maine is Maine. One of the best feelings a person could ever experience is that of crossing the bridge heading north knowing you're home and life is "the way life should be." It's not just a cute little saying to post out on the interstate.
It IS very subjective.. it's what you want.. but I think just saying Maine is Maine and one of the best feelings a person could have is crossing over the bridge knowing youre home is vague...

That doesn't explain to anyone who is looking to relocate here what makes Maine special.. Spiritual, family, and or childhood connections are real feelings but are not specific reason for anyone to relocate here if they don't have that connection..

Thats when you start to compare and explain why Maine is special to you in terms some one who has never been here would relate too.. Myself not having those connections I see first hand that there are many states that offer the same things Maine has and maybe more.. but yet there are still some things maine might offer that other states that dont.. There is a lot of pride here.. sometimes too much... no wants to hear negative things about their home but sometimes it's not about bringing down a place but rather attempting to make change to make a place better..

and as much as I love parks and man made recreational areas that lots of states have and would love to see some more of those kinds of things here in the L/A area.. My response to the Maine does not have enough parks is isn't Maine one giant park?? Bar Harbour is the 2nd only to yellowstone..

Old 01-17-2010, 11:12 AM

396 posts, read 605,578 times
"City Parks" - in my area was what I said or meant to say.

There are several parks in this area, but few are nice, comfortable, clean and used much.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:18 AM

Some of the things I and many others like about Maine and or parts of Maine are:

- Leaving the door unlock, and or the fact that in most of Maine you can do this.

- Going to an area, a park, downtown (be it as they may), and walking around and not worry to much, if the kids go off without you

- Feeling comfortable in walking down damn near any street.

- Able to get away, without leaving.

- Friends that are genuine

- Not having to "keep up with the Jones" (not having to compare what you have with your friends or neighbors).

- Leaving you car running while you go into the store to get something (great on those cold days)

- For me, the taste of the food, it just seems to taste better here? And yes, before someone gets upset, I have had a some great food just about anywhere I've gone, but more often then not, I have had meals that just didn't hit home.

- It's home

Skip

Old 01-17-2010, 11:39 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,973,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slalemand View Post
Some of the things I and many others like about Maine and or parts of Maine are:

- Leaving the door unlock, and or the fact that in most of Maine you can do this.

There's a lot of other places where you can do this too.

- Going to an area, a park, downtown (be it as they may), and walking around and not worry to much, if the kids go off without you

Tons of other states feel the same way about their parks.

- Feeling comfortable in walking down damn near any street.

Most rural states and towns are like this.

- Able to get away, without leaving.

WV has some killer state parks, ski resorts, white water rafting, camping, all kinds of activities.

- Friends that are genuine

Come on now, Maine is not the only state with geniune friends.

- Not having to "keep up with the Jones" (not having to compare what you have with your friends or neighbors).

It's never occurred to me to even try and keep up with the "Jonses".

- Leaving you car running while you go into the store to get something (great on those cold days)

We do that here, too.

- For me, the taste of the food, it just seems to taste better here? And yes, before someone gets upset, I have had a some great food just about anywhere I've gone, but more often then not, I have had meals that just didn't hit home.

While I agree that Maine has some wonderful tasting food, so does New Orleans, Chicago, New York City, etc. that still tastes fabulous or maybe my taste buds aren't what they used to be.

- It's home

Eastport is home for us too, but we winter in West Virginia. I think what other people are trying to tell you is to be objective about Maine rather than being subjective.

Skip

Old 01-17-2010, 11:43 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
It IS very subjective .. it's what you want .. but I think just saying Maine is Maine and one of the best feelings a person could have is crossing over the bridge knowing your home is vague ...
I agree.

I think that for each person drawn to Maine, it is likely for something different and very subjective.

Quote:
... That doesn't explain to anyone who is looking to relocate here what makes Maine special .. Spiritual, family, and or childhood connections are real feelings but are not specific reason for anyone to relocate here if they don't have that connection ..
We came here with no family or childhood connections to the area.

Quote:
... That's when you start to compare and explain why Maine is special to you in terms some one who has never been here would relate too.. Myself not having those connections I see first hand that there are many states that offer the same things Maine has and maybe more.. but yet there are still some things maine might offer that other states that dont.. There is a lot of pride here.. sometimes too much... no wants to hear negative things about their home but sometimes it's not about bringing down a place but rather attempting to make change to make a place better..

and as much as I love parks and man made recreational areas that lots of states have and would love to see some more of those kinds of things here in the L/A area.. My response to the Maine does not have enough parks is isn't Maine one giant park?? Bar Harbour is the 2nd only to yellowstone..
"city parks" do not really excite us.

"museums" were nice when we had children. Most places where we lived had bunches of museums. In homeschooling it gave us more stuff to do with the children, and provided a broader education for them.

We have climbed through Roman Coliseums [the insides and workings underneath are amazing], Greek Amphitheaters, a Minoan city [where I saw the oldest masonic lodge that I have ever stood in], stateside the Smithsonian is hard to beat.

Maine has none of that.

My hometown has a riverwalk and I have been to the riverwalk in Texas. Riverwalks are nice, but here in Maine I have my own riverbank.

I do not 'go shopping', I prefer to trade with farmers. Half of what I do buy, I get online.

We do however enjoy Maine's lower taxes and the ability to live here on a lower income.

It is very subjective.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:02 PM

Sorry if I have offended anyone. I was telling these folks, what I and others like about Maine, which I believe was the original question.

I don't doubt that (as I mentioned) there are a ton of places in America that anyone of us would love to live in, and an equal number of places, some would love to leave, and many would wish they could leave.

I guess the bottom line is this "Home is where you make it" - "Home is where you rest your head" - "home is where you make your bed" and so on.

Would I live in Maine if I had a choice … I can't answer that question honestly at this time. And only because with children & a grandchild here, and being as close to them as we are (two of them work for me ), my wife would not move and hell I'm not going anywhere without her.

Now this does cause some small issues, with another daughter in South Carolina with 2 other grand kids. We visit as often as possible. My wife will be flying down in late March, and I will be driving (I like driving more then flying, you see more), and I make sales calls along the way.

Will we retire here (or as the case is currently) - stay here when we retire?

I have spent some time in AZ., and based on what I saw, did and enjoyed, it will be high on my list. Florida won't, mostly because of the humidity.

If Vermont, didn't get cold and as snowy as Maine in the winter, it would also be high on our list.

Skip

Old 01-17-2010, 02:14 PM

Slalemand... I wasn'toffended by anything you said.. It was fun and interesting conversation.. and I agree with a lot you too

Old 01-17-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalemand View Post
"City Parks" - in my area was what I said or meant to say.

There are several parks in this area, but few are nice, comfortable, clean and used much.
Same here in the L/A area and I attribute it to demographics... I feel awefull acting like some elitist but it's a fact that there are certain demographics that just do not appreciate stuff like other people.. broken beer bottles, just plain dirty or scruffy irgnorant looking people, and or young hoodlums just do not make for a nice park or a place I want to bring my kids too.

Old 01-17-2010, 04:30 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,895,864 times
[quote=flycessna;12484623]It IS very subjective.. it's what you want.. but I think just saying Maine is Maine and one of the best feelings a person could have is crossing over the bridge knowing youre home is vague...[quote]

It's sad that you apparently haven't felt that feeling of crossing the bridge heading north and knowing you're home....not even after driving to SC to visit your daughter and grand kids.

[quote]That doesn't explain to anyone who is looking to relocate here what makes Maine special.. Spiritual, family, and or childhood connections are real feelings but are not specific reason for anyone to relocate here if they don't have that connection.[quote]

I find it offensive for someone (Skip) who has moved to Maine to say that Maine is MISSING anything. I wasn't trying to explain to someone who might be looking to relocate how Maine is special.

[quote]That's when you start to compare and explain why Maine is special to you in terms some one who has never been here would relate too.. Myself not having those connections I see first hand that there are many states that offer the same things Maine has and maybe more.. but yet there are still some things maine might offer that other states that dont.. There is a lot of pride here.. sometimes too much... no wants to hear negative things about their home but sometimes it's not about bringing down a place but rather attempting to make change to make a place better..
Quote:

Haven't you read all the posts about you'll get along just fine if you move to Maine and don't try to change things?

I went back to the beginning of the thread where you or your friend (not sure which one) were searching for the perfect place wondering if it were outside of Maine wondering if you were missing the Maine experience. If you don't recognize the Maine experience when you're living in Maine, how are you or someone looking to relocate going to understand it if someone explains it to you/them in words?

[quote}and as much as I love parks and man made recreational areas that lots of states have and would love to see some more of those kinds of things here in the L/A area.. My response to the Maine does not have enough parks is isn't Maine one giant park?? Bar Harbour is the 2nd only to yellowstone..
As long as you keep saying nice things about Maine being a giant park, that'll be one less thing to disagree about. There aren't any grizzlies in Bar Harbor or Acadia National Park waiting to eat you alive. Yellowstone may have been the first national park, but Acadia is second to none. oops, there goes that Maine pride you were talking about

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 01-17-2010 at 04:31 PM.. Reason: I really need to work on getting the quotes "in" the box.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
mainegrl2011
It's sad that you apparently haven't felt that feeling of crossing the bridge heading north and knowing you're home....not even after driving to SC to visit your daughter and grand kids.
You might have me confused with another.. I am not grandfather and dont go to SC...

But do not feel sad for me because I do not have some special feeling crossing the border into Maine... for the record I spent summers here and for that I have always had a special connection to Maine that way... but living here and raising a family here There is nothing here that I have experienced that wasn't better in other places I Lived.. growing up outside of boston I had "less".. yes i said less crime.. never locked a door in my life.. and it was easier living.. working and buying a home was actually easier though I admit housing can is now a little pricey then when i was there.. but again what am I missing... thats what I want to know? is there somewhere else in Maine that might offer the quality of life i have seen available in other places.. sorry.. i dont really believe in magic or fate..

Quote:
mainegrl2011
I find it offensive for someone (Skip) who has moved to Maine to say that Maine is MISSING anything. I wasn't trying to explain to someone who might be looking to relocate how Maine is special.
i am sorry i offended you... i wasnt trying too.. But yes.. I feel that Maine is missing some things.. things that would imrpove the quality of life for most Mainers..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine