Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 07:45 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,427,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper1212 View Post
You can walk through the cellar into the foundation under the new portion of the house

You walk into the foundation? That must hurt.
Depends on how much she's been drinking at the time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 04:35 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,549,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper1212 View Post
You can walk through the cellar into the foundation under the new portion of the house

You walk into the foundation? That must hurt.
Darn it. Now I have to admit my super powers. While most people would have to walk through the opening in the old foundation made when the addition was built, I am able to shape shift through the openings between field stones.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,127 times
Why do homes in Florida not have basements and most homes in Maine do? I thought the homes in Maine would not also because both States are at sea level and the water table in both is high?

Old 05-10-2010, 10:12 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,677,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Janssen View Post
Why do homes in Florida not have basements and most homes in Maine do? I thought the homes in Maine would not also because both States are at sea level and the water table in both is high?
Most houses in Maine have an oil fired or gas fired furnace in them for heat. This heating system is usually installed in the basement. Heating is not an issue in Florida.
I live only three miles from the ocean and I'm nearly 200 feet above sea level. Our camp is "on the water" and is still 35 to 40 feet above the water. Maine is not flat like Florida.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:40 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,322,398 times
I have a basement in part of my Bar Harbor House. But remember on the island the ground is only about 10 feet above granite or basalt bedrock. My house is about 25 feet above sea level, and there is a little more dirt, but not much.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:26 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,034,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
I wouldn't have any idea as to the cost, but where ledge is too close to the surface, perhaps it would be an option to pour the full basement and then bring in enough fill to make it appear that the house is sitting on a little knoll?

Cheaper than blasting the ledge?
There's also having a walk-out basement or a high ranch.

But the downside to that is you have to go up and down stairs every time you go outside, bring groceries in, or take garbage out.

And then there's the added danger in icy weather of slipping on the part of the stairs outside the house.

Also means shoveling and deicing more stair steps and sloping walkways, as well as putting more wear and tear on the interior stairs, which means more maintenance.

And as for me, I like to do my living on the same level as the plants grow rather than from a second story.

Somehow brings nature closer. Being up in the air on a second story is for sleeping, like our ancestors may have slept in trees to be safe from sabre toothed tigers and the like.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:45 PM

16,678 posts, read 15,688,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
..... And as for me, I like to do my living on the same level as the plants grow rather than from a second story.

Somehow brings nature closer. Being up in the air on a second story is for sleeping, like our ancestors may have slept in trees to be safe from sabre toothed tigers and the like.
It must have worked. I think it scared them all off. I haven't seen a sabre-toothed tiger in years!

Old 10-31-2014, 10:14 AM

62 posts, read 79,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrasser View Post
If the house does not have a dry, full size basement,
with adequate ceiling height and a cement foor; i'll pass on it.
I looked at a number of houses in Eastport some with sump pumps,
low ceiling height, and two on slabs; I don't want the worry of a pump,
need the ceiling height, and the slab concept never interested me, I like the
idea of a basement workshop and storage, so my search continues.
I thought the purpose of a sump pump was to keep the basement dry? I suppose if the area is dry enough one may not be needed....but most basements I've seen leak at some point and need one. Am I missing something or it just depends on a ton of factors like most things?

Old 10-31-2014, 10:44 AM

62 posts, read 79,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainerwoman View Post
Our house was built in 1893. It once had a dirt floor, then at sometime a cement floor was poured, so now we have a cellment or a basellar ?? What would be the correct term for my 99.99% dry underground dwelling where nothing of mine is allowed to enter and ruin the perfect manlyness.
I think in your case the term would be "Man Cave". lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine