Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2009, 12:08 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,169,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I commented many times that folks might like Kahlua better, and they acted like I was speaking blasphemy.
Maybe it was just because it's a Maine product (ya know, loyalty to the state - perhaps..who knows?...). Personally, I like my coffee hot and sufficiently strong enough to stand the spoon in an upright position. It comes from my lengthy history as a night-shift worker.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:19 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
Maybe it was just because it's a Maine product (ya know, loyalty to the state - perhaps..who knows?...). Personally, I like my coffee hot and sufficiently strong enough to stand the spoon in an upright position. It comes from my lengthy history as a night-shift worker.

According to their website:
Allen's Coffee Flavored Brandy - History

Allens coffee brandy is made in Somerville Massachusetts.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:42 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,169,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
According to their website:
Allen's Coffee Flavored Brandy - History

Allens coffee brandy is made in Somerville Massachusetts.

Did not know that. Thanks for the enlightenment.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:01 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,384,753 times
PHEW!!! We just had a visitor. A lil skunk got into our basement through an old dryer vent that had been blocked up with insulation.

We were having supper and heard something rattling in the cellar. My DH opened the door and there sat a lil skunk staring back at him. We haven't a key to open the cellar door from outside, so...... I made a couple of phone calls......... as all of our tools are in the cellar and we were hoping someone could come help us open that door to get the lil thing out that way.
I ended up closing off the hallway and opening the screen door but it was to frightened to move. I got a can of chicken and lured it out the door (took a while). Then my DH had to climb under the deck to seal off the vent so the lil dickens won't get back in.
I'm still laughing my butt off, DH is not as amused.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:08 PM

722 posts, read 1,511,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
PHEW!!! We just had a visitor. A lil skunk got into our basement through an old dryer vent that had been blocked up with insulation.

We were having supper and heard something rattling in the cellar. My DH opened the door and there sat a lil skunk staring back at him. We haven't a key to open the cellar door from outside, so...... I made a couple of phone calls......... as all of our tools are in the cellar and we were hoping someone could come help us open that door to get the lil thing out that way.
I ended up closing off the hallway and opening the screen door but it was to frightened to move. I got a can of chicken and lured it out the door (took a while). Then my DH had to climb under the deck to seal off the vent so the lil dickens won't get back in.
Great Visual msina, I can see it clearly, thats a good chuckle

Old 08-05-2009, 06:08 PM

2,502 posts, read 3,406,007 times
Quote:

Oh my...glad your visitor did not cause a stink in your lovely home! Great solution to lure the little guy out!

Old 08-05-2009, 09:12 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,671,905 times
Quote:

Wow that was fun huh msina? We have been feeding the cat in the garage and the cat food smell has been attracting a skunk about twice a week.
When I smell him out there I put on all the lights in the garage, driveway and deck and he scampers off. I just hope I'm out there before the dog gets nailed.
We had a bat in the house tonight. He flew around the kitchen and living room for a while before I caught him in a smelt net and let him go outside. Big night for critters I guess.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:25 PM

722 posts, read 1,511,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
We had a bat in the house tonight. He flew around the kitchen and living room for a while before I caught him in a smelt net and let him go outside. Big night for critters I guess.
Just like the Great Outdoors with John Candy and Dan Akroyd huh? Did you dawn the protective gear like them as well? We get skunks in the barn now and then. But nothing in the house thank goodness.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:31 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,671,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankratt View Post
Just like the Great Outdoors with John Candy and Dan Akroyd huh? Did you dawn the protective gear like them as well? We get skunks in the barn now and then. But nothing in the house thank goodness.
No gear but I hollered plenty when the little varmint swooped at me several times! I was glad I could catch it without hurting it. My great aunt used to throw an ammonia soaked rag in the air. The bat would fly toward it and wham!!, the fumes would knock it out cold. She didn't mess around trying to revive them and popped them into the ever-burning kitchen wood stove! I on the other hand like bats!

Old 08-06-2009, 03:21 AM

48,138 posts, read 22,007,656 times
Bats and Skunks.....whats next....perhaps a porcupine? Oh My! I havent seen any skunks since I have been in Maine and only once I thought I might have smelled one on the road....I was wondering if their numbers had been thinned by disease; I used to see more of them when I lived in a small city in NH.

I like Bats too, Maineah....they give me a bit of the creeps.....but I do like them. I was wondering about putting up some bat houses in the back yard.....hoping a colony of bats might cut down on skeeters and flies. Has anyone had any luck with bat houses?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine