Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2009, 05:27 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,338,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Just stopping by to say hello, many congratulations Dramamama! We're having a ball with the grandsons, these "city kids" have taken to the country quite well. They run from first thing in the morning till they drop at night. I hope everyone is well and happy.
hehe fun!
That sounds great Msina!!

Old 07-02-2009, 07:58 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina
Have a safe trip.
Thank you.

I returned home today.

It was a fast-paced trip.

I began my return trip yesterday at about 10am, and have not gotten any sleep since then. Driving, flying, running around an airport, waiting for a connection, flying,waiting for a connection, boarding a bus, transfers, and finally the drive home form the bus terminal. I am on my 'second wind' now, and soon will sleep hard

I have experienced lost baggage; returned baggage, being bumped from a flight; and getting onto another flight as others were being bumped off; barely catching a flight; and being so early that I was put onto an earlier flight.

I really think that the airline industries over-booking practices are severely shooting themselves in the foot with every flight.

My itinerary going out there ended up looking nothing at all like what I had booked months ago; likewise my return itinerary ended up looking nothing like my reservations looked.

However now my step-father and my mother are both firmly planting in the ground. All heirs have met, and the lengthy process begins of settling the estate.

It is clear to us that it can not be handled without the 'assistance' of the courts, and possibly much filings of motions by lawyers.

I was able to meet many of my relatives. Many of whom I had not seen in some years. And much 'catching up' was done by all.

The place is much as it had been when we last lived there. Brown, dry, dead grasses, and grass fires abound. 105 to 109 degree daily temps, and there is very little water.

My brother [who hosted the after-funeral BBQ and pool party] has a lovely large swimming pool; and no method to cool it. The water's temps run from 80 to 90 degrees.

Taxes are going up, while the state is broke, the towns are broke.

Each level of local government is going through a series of lay-offs, and all civil employers are restricted to 4-day work-weeks. Seven of our hometown PD sergeants were demoted this week down to patrolmen [to save on salary].

I saw many newly constructed homes, shopping centers, and businesses. Many of which are boarded up.

There are lots of homeless folk. And I was surprised at the predominance of non-English language billboards and street signs.

I was asked again and again why I had settled in Maine.

The reasons are as clear, as they are abundant.

How could anyone fail to see a dozen good reasons to settle in Maine? Unless they have never been here. Which happens to be the case, in terms of my relatives, they have never visited Maine, so they assume that all of the US of A is like California

Did I say that I am glad to be home once again?

I am

Old 07-02-2009, 09:39 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,391,174 times
Let me be the first to welcome you back to where I would like to be, Maine. I hope everything works out for you and sorry about your mom and stepfather.
__________________________________________________ _____________
I had to laugh out loud when I read about your impressions of CA. And your bro's hot pool. I live it so I know it.

Old 07-03-2009, 07:44 AM

Well.. welcome home. I laughted at the lost luggage and thought to type.. "Surely you jest"

Anyone south or West of "New England" always say{ to me that is.}
.. "Ohhh Maine? Isn't that with polar bears and floating ice burgs?

Yeah..okay. It's much better where they are. Oh well.
Right now.. we are "being Scotland with the rain... but I am hoping for a less rainy July to come.

Welcome home forest.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:44 AM

Thanks folks

The preconceived image folks have of Maine does include 20 foot snow banks everywhere and moose stampedes.

One relative got into a discussion with me, he insists [and has the backing of many local colleges] that within 10 years the entire planet will not have enough drinking water to go around. They live in an area of annual droughts, and insist that those droughts will expand to dry-up the entire planet. ... I offered him some of our water.

I think that when folks build cities in a desert, they get to assuming that every city is in a desert; and therefore all human existence is one of water-shortages.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:48 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
We tried a new place for lunch today. The Block and Tackle in Cundy's Harbor. It's a small place and not overly impressive on the outside. The food, however, was great! They have hand cut onion rings that are very good (get the small order and it will be enough for two). I had a cup of lobster stew which was full of lobster meat and quite good and a lobster roll. I think between the two I had a half a pound of clear lobster! DW had the pan fried haddock sandwich. She raved about how fresh it was. Nice little place. If you find yourself in Cundy's Harbor check it out! A good sign was seeing lots of local folks eating there!

Old 07-03-2009, 10:05 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,753,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
We tried a new place for lunch today. The Block and Tackle in Cundy's Harbor. It's a small place and not overly impressive on the outside. The food, however, was great! They have hand cut onion rings that are very good (get the small order and it will be enough for two). I had a cup of lobster stew which was full of lobster meat and quite good and a lobster roll. I think between the two I had a half a pound of clear lobster! DW had the pan fried haddock sandwich. She raved about how fresh it was. Nice little place. If you find yourself in Cundy's Harbor check it out! A good sign was seeing lots of local folks eating there!
Sounds delicious!
Nothing like a good lobster stew and fried haddock sandwich

Old 07-04-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
. It's a small place and not overly impressive on the outside. The food, however, was great!
!
Sounds like a place I have "heard about."

Old 07-04-2009, 08:44 PM

We had the most wonderful evening.

The owners of the Crook and Nanny restaurant shut-down for the holiday, they hosted a party and invited us. Their chef was on hand and served us the most wonderful food and wines. They entertained us with confetti fireworks, and a dancing dog [who wears ribbons on her head and tail]. The chef's eldest daughter made desert, she is proving to be an aspiring pastry chef herself. And we all played cards afterwards. The hostess was as always a peachie delight.

We would have loved to have stayed longer, alas the drive home was long.

We had a great time.

Old 07-05-2009, 04:28 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
We had the most wonderful evening.

The owners of the Crook and Nanny restaurant shut-down for the holiday, they hosted a party and invited us. Their chef was on hand and served us the most wonderful food and wines. They entertained us with confetti fireworks, and a dancing dog [who wears ribbons on her head and tail]. The chef's eldest daughter made desert, she is proving to be an aspiring pastry chef herself. And we all played cards afterwards. The hostess was as always a peachie delight.

We would have loved to have stayed longer, alas the drive home was long.

We had a great time.

That sounds like a blast!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine