Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2007, 09:33 AM

62 posts, read 254,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by triniboy View Post
She`s just uninformed and stuck in her old ways. These people are brain washed day and night by the media and from the oppression and advantage that they took back in the day. Wish they would try to do what they did i nthese days. There would sure be some trouble. They do it in different ways thought but as we see they are also feeling the bad end of the financial and econimc stick so we cna`t feel bad about our people only. There are many others that are faced with the same problems as us. Don`t worry though, in the year 2050 I will still be alive to see what AMERICA as some know it won`t be the AMERICA they thought was goign to stay the same and will not be the AMERICA we know it as today and nobody can`t do anythign about it but just deal with the punches. OH YEA!!!! I`m not racist but just stating the facts.
2050 is a long way off and demographics have a way of changing in ways nobody would've expected. The future can't really be forecasted; don't gloat quite yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 01:01 PM

135 posts, read 707,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkrican View Post
What do you mean by Monkey COunty? i think i have an idea but do you have the guts to say what you really mean?
Actually if you read thru all the crap.u will see Montgomery County = Monkey County, Howard-Howierd County....Baltimore city...the city that bleeds..should I keep coming..and trust me if i ment something differently I would say it...wanna start the race crap again????

Old 08-10-2007, 03:48 PM

4 posts, read 21,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy7fo View Post
This scientific study just came in:
Where people exist, crime may happen....Boise, Honolulu, St Louis, Maryland, it doesn't matter crime will exist. Second the above poster who recommend that you travel before making your claim. DC/MD is not ghetto, not even by a longshot. You need to visit Detroit, St Louis, Kansas City, Memphis, to get a strong idea what ghetto really looks like .... I love MD with all its dichotomy, Its Northern but with a southern feel its country but can be cosmo, its fast paced but it can be slow. No other region can claim this and I love md all for it.
I agree with a lot of what you say. Unfortunately, I believe the Ghetto/Ghetto ATTITUDE is everywhere these days with the current teen generation!! Personally I think it's horrible but times change and that's what's happening in this day and time. Words mean different things these days. Ghetto used to be "slums", "run-down", "poor". Now... Ghetto is not an adjective, it is an attitude! Black, white, poor, well-off... it doesn't matter. It's the current times.

I have lived most of my life in MD. Born here in Baltimore County, moved to RI as an infant, my father was a Navy man. He became ill with cancer so my family moved back here when I was 6 to be near my mom's family.
I do like Maryland for MANY reasons. There is so much history here, it's awesome, though people who have lived here all their lives tend to take it for granted. Same as many other things that are taken for granted. I have a friend that lives in Colorado. The first time she came to visit, I remember being dumb-founded at something she said. She asked me, "So what do you think about living in Maryland!?" As if it was the best place on earth. lol I just rememeber chuckling and saying... "Compared to WHAT?... you live in COLORADO!" It still makes me laugh to think about it. She thought it was great until... (noting: she was visiting in July) We took her to the Inner Harbor. HA... it was a "typical" Triple H day!! I believe the hottest so far that summer. She could not get over how disgustingly "sticky" it was and how, as she put it, you could FEEL the "thickness" of the air as it went into your lungs! Ah yes... summer in Baltimore.
This is one of the things I CANNOT stand about living here. The other is the expense. I believe MD is a "rip-off" state. Though, I'm sure it's not the highest, some things are just out of control and are put in place as purely money makers.
The pros... It is a "safe state". Meaning... as far as natural disasters... very few, are we subjected to. An occasional tropical storm left over from a southern hurricane. A RARE hurricane.... a VERY RARE earthquake. Yes, there have been a few. And the occasional tornado, but no comparison to the midwest. Flooding from severe thunderstorms may be the most frequent occurance for some areas. Hell, I thought severe thunderstorms were "normal". I thought they occured everywhere. lol... I found out that I was wrong. They really don't, as my friend in Oregon informed me. One other thing that is a definite pro.... FALL FOLIAGE! Beautiful! That too... does not occur everywhere. Do we take that for granted? My friend and my goddaughter came out to visit (the one from Oregon) for my wedding. My friend, born and raised here... her daughter... they moved to Oregon when she was 1. I got married November 7 (1998) My goddaughter, then 5, looked at my friend and said, "Look Mommy... the leaves are SO pretty!" I must have looked at her sideways as I joked, "you'd think she never saw leaves before". She said... she hasn't seen leaves like THAT. She had to explain to me that they did not have the fall foliage change like the northeast. Yes... it was something I'd seen all my life and yes... I took it for granted.

All that said... Many things to love about Maryland but I'm now 40 and am looking to get out. I have been living in Carroll County for many years now. Don't like "hussle-bussle" crowded areas. Carroll County does give me that for the most part. Living next door to farm land but finding myself wanted more. Heading north. Don't know exactly where yet. Just starting to research. Hence the reason I started looking around this site.

Not saying MD sucks or that EVERY state and or city doesn't have it's issues. I NEVER thought I'd move away from my "hometown"... my roots... my family. With the recent passing of my Mom, in May... I feel as though I have nothing "holding" me here, anymore. I will miss my other family members but as we grow older, we are all spreading out anyway. So why not venture out? my husband and I prefer cooler weather and snow so that's what we're heading toward. Get out of the Hazy Hot and Humid summers of Maryland.

Looking for good Country living! (or at least, as good as it gets)

Anyone with feed back or info on the following states, your comments are more than welcome! (noting "country life"... staying away from your typical well-known cities)
Michigan, Minnesota, Maine, Wyoming, Wisconsin, Montana.... You get the picture... North, northeast, "north-mid". Not interested in northwest corner. Though I have been there many times... it's nice to visit but I wouldn't want to live there. (way too much rain!)

Old 08-10-2007, 04:07 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,222,412 times
Michigan is a GHETTO....for white and black people...massive unemployemnt and the cities look decrept like hell.

Minnesota is good, Wisky is on the upsurge and its good, so is Wyoming and all that coal out there....Maine is good...

But you made some great points and I agree with many of them and its nice for a change that someone did something difficult and said positivethings about MD....Thank You!

Old 08-11-2007, 07:58 AM

9 posts, read 28,312 times
Can someone tell me which states are better to live in and why? Since there are so many postings about what is wrong with Maryland, I am curious to hear about better places to live.

I have lived in AA Co, PG Co, Howard Co, Carroll Co, and QA Co. I have never lived in another state but have visited other states on business and vacation. I haven't been anywhere where I thought, "I may want to move here someday."

I don't like floods, tornado's, earthquakes, hurricanes, hot weather all the time, or cold weather all the time. Yes, I know some of these events happen in Maryland on occasion but it is not typical. I like to be able to go from the mountains to the ocean. I like living off the beaten path, but still being able to drive to areas that have good shopping, entertainment, and events.

This may sound strange but one thing I noticed in other states is the roads. Maryland has nice roads and when you drive along you don't see trash all along the roadway. I guess I just like areas that are kept up and clean. I know Maryland has some areas that are not kept up but I believe, having lived in as many counties as I have and living here all my life, that most areas are kept up. I don't mind paying more for the quality.

I'm just curious where the grass is greener?

Old 08-11-2007, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple1 View Post
Can someone tell me which states are better to live in and why? Since there are so many postings about what is wrong with Maryland, I am curious to hear about better places to live.

I have lived in AA Co, PG Co, Howard Co, Carroll Co, and QA Co. I have never lived in another state but have visited other states on business and vacation. I haven't been anywhere where I thought, "I may want to move here someday."

I don't like floods, tornado's, earthquakes, hurricanes, hot weather all the time, or cold weather all the time. Yes, I know some of these events happen in Maryland on occasion but it is not typical. I like to be able to go from the mountains to the ocean. I like living off the beaten path, but still being able to drive to areas that have good shopping, entertainment, and events.

This may sound strange but one thing I noticed in other states is the roads. Maryland has nice roads and when you drive along you don't see trash all along the roadway. I guess I just like areas that are kept up and clean. I know Maryland has some areas that are not kept up but I believe, having lived in as many counties as I have and living here all my life, that most areas are kept up. I don't mind paying more for the quality.

I'm just curious where the grass is greener?

Depends on what you are looking for. My greener grass lies out west. Whenever I visit another state, it is much better than what I see here. Just a thought.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:42 AM

897 posts, read 2,457,983 times
I think the problem is that americans like space and some people like larger space than others.When people are use to one thing in there life and something changes it is hard for some people to adjust. Some people don't want to adjust at all because they like what they had before and now other people violated that persons space.

Old 08-11-2007, 02:39 PM

Um yeah I have heard of NV homes and Ryan homes and Landmark homes and NVR homes..should I keep going?? I work in the construction field and so does my husband so we are well aware of areas and new construction....would you like me to list 50 more builders?? And one question for you..why would you spend allllllllllll that money on a house when your neighbor either next door or three doors down have the same one??

Old 08-11-2007, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibainu View Post
I think the problem is that americans like space and some people like larger space than others.When people are use to one thing in there life and something changes it is hard for some people to adjust. Some people don't want to adjust at all because they like what they had before and now other people violated that persons space.
I love larger spaces and breathing fresh air. I also like the fact that I can go out in my backyard and not have to worry about what is back there and nosey neighbors. I have lived in the townhouse environment and I hated it. Everyone knows everyones business and all the drama it involves.

Old 08-11-2007, 03:18 PM

91 posts, read 484,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carebear1970 View Post
I love larger spaces and breathing fresh air. I also like the fact that I can go out in my backyard and not have to worry about what is back there and nosey neighbors. I have lived in the townhouse environment and I hated it. Everyone knows everyones business and all the drama it involves.
Finally a Carebear statement I can support! Yes! Townhouses have very little privacy. I don't like hearing my neighbors, how should I say, business? One of the upsides of townhomes is limited lawn upkeep and for busy people that's a major concern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland