Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 03:07 PM

7,020 posts, read 11,310,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjhjhj View Post
There's that rural thing again.

I should add that I was already warned before moving here.

I've lived in a lot of places in the country and this one really caught me off guard. I figured in one of the wealthiest, most educated states in the country, only 2 hours from DC how bad could it be?

But I didn't listen. Fortunately, this move was temporary and I'm leaving soon. But I urge you not to make the same mistake. It's really is a bad as people say.
You obviously don't know much about Maryland. Small state, very strong regional identities. Small liberal geographic regions around D.C. and Baltimore, large conservative rural regions in the east and west.

You should have listened to the advice you were given....or looked at a map.....or read some books about our state.

And yeah, it is that "rural thing." We get typecast as being rubes for being conservative in politics, for having the audacity to live where we were raised, and where our families have lived for 200+ years, for not taking kindly to being insulted by outsiders.

It is a different world, one where you obviously don't feel comfortable. Again, your fault, not the Eastern Shore's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 03:26 PM

13 posts, read 21,170 times
I should add just in case that I grew up in a small rural town until I was 17.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
I should add just in case that I grew up in a small rural town until I was 17.
What town and state? I ask because even on this discussion board there are people that say they live in "rural" areas, which are really just commuter exurbs of big cities.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:37 PM

I don't want to give out that much personal info. But much much smaller than Salisbury and much further away from a city. I'll put it this way. My mother used to bring a cooler to the grocery store so the food wouldn't go bad on the ride home.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
I don't want to give out that much personal info. But much much smaller than Salisbury and much further away from a city. I'll put it this way. My mother used to bring a cooler to the grocery store so the food wouldn't go bad on the ride home.
Fair enough. But differences between regions do matter. For instance I would expect rural regions on the East coast, where people have roots that stretch back 200 years+ to be very different than rural regions out west (as an example) that weren't settled until the mid-late 19th century or later.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:44 PM

386 posts, read 655,617 times
Quote:
andrew_s pretty much sums up the Eastern Shore.

I should also note his reference to rural folk. I have found that Eastern Shore residents seem to feel quite strongly that they are a good old fashion rural area, and as you saw from his yankee comments, the south. Which is still a bit confusing to me considering that it is only a little over 2 hours away from Washington, DC, one of the largest metropolitan areas in the country and hardly a city one would typically consider southern.
Im not from the eastern shore. Im from Maryland and so is my family for the last 6+ generations on one side and farther on my moms. Im proud of my state and my southern heritage/culture. We are nice, polite and just because Im the 2nd generation on my fathers side and 1st on my moms to attend college does not make us stupid. I attended and graduated from a top 50 school (UMD) and am damn proud of it. I live by the Golden rule "do unto others as you like to be done to you" and by that youll only get bad out.

Dont come here bashing our way of life and call us uneducated and expect to get a good response. You saw the real Maryland and not the fictional revolving door that is central Maryland/DC/Baltimore.

Quote:
There's that rural thing again.

I should add that I was already warned before moving here.

I've lived in a lot of places in the country and this one really caught me off guard. I figured in one of the wealthiest, most educated states in the country, only 2 hours from DC how bad could it be?

But I didn't listen. Fortunately, this move was temporary and I'm leaving soon. But I urge you not to make the same mistake. It's really is a bad as people say.
You know my wife is a liberal and so are her parents (her mom is an EXTREME left liberal) and they all have more common sense, tact, morals and are MUCH more polite then I see you must be. Im glad at least some liberals arent as crass as you are.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:29 AM

To everyone who think about moving to the Eastern Shore. This is exactly what it's like. A bunch of angry people who still think we're fighting the civil war and hate anything different than them. Including people of other races etc.

I couldn't have said it better then they did.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:06 AM

386 posts, read 655,617 times
Quote:
To everyone who think about moving to the Eastern Shore. This is exactly what it's like. A bunch of angry people who still think we're fighting the civil war and hate anything different than them. Including people of other races etc.

Spoken with true ignorance, just like all your other posts...

Old 04-26-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:

Nobody mentioned race or the Civil War but you. You were the one who first posted in anger. You slammed the place you willingly relocated to, called the residents ignorant, racist, close-minded, and so forth.

My conversation with you showed that YOU were the one that didn't understand them, like your utter confusion on the meaning of the Mason-Dixon line to people who ID as Southerners.

You also said you had no desire to "understand" the people different from yourself, merely tolerate them. Well, it looks like you failed at that too. I see no hatred in what happened to you. I see anger in your reactions to your OWN bad decision to move to a place where you weren't a good fit.

That is the REAL lesson here. Do your research before you move, don't end up like hjhjhjhjhjhjhjhjhjhjhjhjhjhjhjhjhj.

The only finger to point is back at yourself for not doing your homework.

Last edited by westsideboy; 04-26-2012 at 11:07 AM..

Old 04-26-2012, 02:40 PM

To anyone else, I knew what this place was like before I moved here. It has quite a reputation in the DC Metro/Annapolis areas.

I didn't have a choice in coming here. Now I'm leaving, but I just wanted to warn people. I wasn't trying to succeed or fail. Simply to warn others about how bad this place really is.

A few things I was told when I asked people about it.
"Didn't they just learn to read a generation ago?"
"That place smells like chicken s**t"
"The only thing to do there is drink and drive an hour Ocean City."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland