Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 11:19 PM

11 posts, read 63,830 times

Advertisements

Looking for input on the crime rates in Salisbury, as well as the school systems. It looks like a pretty interesting town (looking for relocation ideas), but I stumbled upon some alarming stats. Any locals or inside info would be greatly appreciated. Also, anyone with 2 cents about decent waterfront towns (priced 300-350k) in MD; I'd like to hear it...Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2006, 09:45 AM

2 posts, read 16,525 times
Default reply to Salisbury crime rates

I am a resident since 1993- I saw your post and wanted to reply. You can probably rely on true stats that you find. The news is not a reliable source to gauge crime because they do not seem to cover alot of what goes on. I feel safe in Salisbury but I do know that you hear from time to time the comment that someone who knows a police officer says that only about half of what goes on makes the papers. I live outside of the city limits and we have had 2 vehicle break ins by a ring of kids that was later busted but that was once in the past 6 years. We have a home alarm system and I feel pretty safe with that. Overall this is a nice area with alot to offer. Hope this helps.

Old 07-17-2006, 02:07 PM

138 posts, read 786,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtripper
Looking for input on the crime rates in Salisbury, as well as the school systems. It looks like a pretty interesting town (looking for relocation ideas), but I stumbled upon some alarming stats. Any locals or inside info would be greatly appreciated. Also, anyone with 2 cents about decent waterfront towns (priced 300-350k) in MD; I'd like to hear it...Thanks!
My wife and I have lived here for about 5 years and it's pretty nice. There are good and bad areas. The bad areas are mostly confined to north of Rt. 50business - at least for about 2 miles up to the bypass.

We live in a nice, established neighborhood in town - on Riverside Dr. We did have our house broken into once (a few years ago). They took a small tv worth about $90. We've also had a car broken into but it happened when we left it parked at my wife's office (in downtown) overnight. There had been a string of car break-ins in the downtown area when it happened. The police said some drug addicts were breaking into cars just to grab whatever was there. We didn't have anything in it except about $2 in change - which was taken.

There was some incident about a year ago where this nutjob drove around lower Del & Salisbury and shot and killed about 4-5 people, IIRC. Schools were locked down and everything. It was kinda crazy. He was caught the same day and I can't remember if he was shot by cops, shot by himself or what.

Seriously though, I don't ever feel that unsafe here. I guess it does have a large amount of crime per capita though.

I would just recommend visiting and seeing some of the neighborhoods. If you know a price range you're looking in, I'll be glad to recommend some areas of town.

Good luck with your decision.

Matt

Old 07-17-2006, 03:10 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,687,790 times
I don't think we can post links on this site but if you goggle "crime Salisbury MD" you will find a very interesting site that shows neighbor maps and give the crime count per neighborhood.
As I said at another posting, I have had more crimes against me in a Bible belt town with a church on every corner in NC. I would not be afraid to live in Salisbury, MD.
Don

Old 07-17-2006, 10:24 PM

Default Thanks!

All the replies were very helpful. For those of you who have lived there, would you recommend it for a family with 2 young kids? How would you rate the quality of life? I.e. activities, parks, residential neighborhoods, friendly people, etc. I really appreciate the different opinions - thanks for taking the time to respond.

Old 07-18-2006, 08:18 AM

Quote:
All the replies were very helpful. For those of you who have lived there, would you recommend it for a family with 2 young kids? How would you rate the quality of life? I.e. activities, parks, residential neighborhoods, friendly people, etc. I really appreciate the different opinions - thanks for taking the time to respond.
Hi. We don't have any kids yet but I'll do my best ....

There is a nice city park in the middle of town that has paddle boats, playgrounds, tennis courts, a walking trail around the whole thing and it connects to the city zoo. The zoo is a decent place to take kids but don't expect any huge animals.

As far as activities, I'm not really sure but I'd recommend visiting www.delmarvanow.com (The Daily Times website) and seeing if they have anything listed. The best thing, IMO, is that the ocean/boardwalk is all of 35 minutes away. But, don't make the drive on a Friday night or you'll be sitting in traffic.

The people are really nice and seem very willing to help with anything and everything.

One drawback is that the payscale is typically less here than in other places and the cost of living is steadily moving upward. There is no major industry here other than poultry and farming.

Well, back to work for me.

Old 07-18-2006, 07:51 PM

Well, friendly people, parks and zoos sound pretty "family" to me! Thanks...I'll check out the local paper, too. I'd be looking for a teaching job, so if the schools are decent, then I wouldn't have to worry about the poultry business

Old 07-20-2006, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Well, friendly people, parks and zoos sound pretty "family" to me! Thanks...I'll check out the local paper, too. I'd be looking for a teaching job, so if the schools are decent, then I wouldn't have to worry about the poultry business
One good thing is that Maryland is ranked pretty high for teacher's salaries - at least, that's what I'm told.

Old 09-06-2006, 03:54 PM

3 posts, read 13,961 times
If you are looking for crime stats, go to : www.salisburypd.com and jump to the link "crime statistics" on the bottom of the page. Also Google "Salisbury, Maryland" to see a variety of links about city and (Wicomico) county information. Hope that helps!!

Old 09-08-2006, 02:07 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,687,790 times
I finally sold my house in NC. I am going to Salisbury this week to look for a house. I think I will heed my own advice and rent a place short term and see what happens. I am looking forward to meeting people who are friendly.
Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland