Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 01:41 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,329,252 times

Advertisements

My Uncle has a summer place on the Potomac in St Mary County and I have to say its very rural down there, but also VERY beautiful and peaceful. I really enjoyed the Calvert Museum as well as visiting lookout point and all the little communities down there. I would not call it redneck at all, just down-to-earth.
I plan to visit the western end of Maryland in the future, so I cant comment on that area, but if I had to live in Maryland, I'd easy pick St Mary's County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 11:05 AM

1,890 posts, read 2,655,343 times
Anywhere that isn't by I-70 (and I-270) and I-95.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:58 PM

513 posts, read 962,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalseDichotomy View Post
Hello.

I'm looking for a county/area of Maryland with the following characteristics:
- Very rural
- Has many farms, especially horse farms
- People who tend to be stereotyped as rednecks or hicks

By the way, I don't mean any offense by the terms redneck or hick. I simply have heard this area's residents described as such.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? What county or area of MD has these characteristics?
Ann Arundel county. Take out the Marinas and you basically have Green Acreas.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:50 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,385,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleanexec View Post
Ann Arundel county. Take out the Marinas and you basically have Green Acreas.
You're joking, right? Anne Arundel is suburbia.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:44 PM

581 posts, read 970,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
You're joking, right? Anne Arundel is suburbia.
Southern Anne Arundel is pretty much like much of Southern Maryland. But overall Anne Arundel isn't rural.
When you cross into Calvert there is no difference, and I wouldn't call northern Calvert suburbia. North Beach is a real town and Dunkirk and Owings are not typically suburban (though they house many commuters).

Old 07-13-2012, 04:09 PM

59,138 posts, read 27,349,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalseDichotomy View Post
Hello.

I'm looking for a county/area of Maryland with the following characteristics:
- Very rural
- Has many farms, especially horse farms
- People who tend to be stereotyped as rednecks or hicks

By the way, I don't mean any offense by the terms redneck or hick. I simply have heard this area's residents described as such.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? What county or area of MD has these characteristics?
Southern Calvert County, especially around Broom's Island.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:47 PM

345 posts, read 977,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
Southern Anne Arundel is pretty much like much of Southern Maryland. But overall Anne Arundel isn't rural.
When you cross into Calvert there is no difference, and I wouldn't call northern Calvert suburbia. North Beach is a real town and Dunkirk and Owings are not typically suburban (though they house many commuters).
Southern Anne Arundel is rural, although I'm hesitant to call it "rednecky." More like ex-urbanites moving out into the country. You see a lot of large "McMansion" type houses in South Arundel and North Calvert dotting the countryside.

Calvert has its redneck contingent but it's been displaced over the past couple of decades in favor of a more suburban/exurban type populace. I'd say it's far less "rednecky" than St. Mary's County (excluding Lex Park/California/Hollywood).

Old 07-15-2012, 06:09 PM

581 posts, read 970,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteU View Post
Southern Anne Arundel is rural, although I'm hesitant to call it "rednecky." More like ex-urbanites moving out into the country. You see a lot of large "McMansion" type houses in South Arundel and North Calvert dotting the countryside.

Calvert has its redneck contingent but it's been displaced over the past couple of decades in favor of a more suburban/exurban type populace. I'd say it's far less "rednecky" than St. Mary's County (excluding Lex Park/California/Hollywood).
I wouldn't call southern Anne Arundel rednecky either.

Calvert has changed quite a bit and has some of those awful McMansion settlements now, but it still retains a lot. I wouldn't call northern Calvert rednecky anymore but it retains a clear southern Maryland identity.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:41 AM

345 posts, read 977,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
I wouldn't call southern Anne Arundel rednecky either.

Calvert has changed quite a bit and has some of those awful McMansion settlements now, but it still retains a lot. I wouldn't call northern Calvert rednecky anymore but it retains a clear southern Maryland identity.
I agree with that assessment.

There is still a rural feel for parts of Calvert, away from the towns. You still will see a good number of farms (thanks to an agressive land preservation program in the area) and you'll come across people with accents driving pickup trucks and listening to country music.

But within the towns in Calvert have changed to a more suburban type of landscape. Take Lusby for example....it looks nothing like it did 10 years ago, with all the new shopping centers. The fact that there is a Food Lion in Lusby not 3 minutes from another Food Lion in Solomons is reminiscent of my current home in suburban South Florida, where we have a Publix seemingly on every other street corner.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:41 AM

4 posts, read 15,639 times
I grew up on the PA side of the MD line, across from Harford County (i.e. the middle of nowhere). I can't believe no one mentioned it! I know A LOT of rednecks from that area, and it is pretty rural. I'm talking rebel flags and shotguns. A lot of horse farms too... I currently live in Anne Arundel county and it is by no means "country" or "redneck".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland