Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 07:38 AM

575 posts, read 554,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
If you are conservative at all, stay away from Maryland. The vast majority of people here hate anyone who isn't a far left liberal. You will be viewed as a racist, a bigot, and someone to be highly taxed.

Stay far, far away from Maryland if you have any common sense.
Yeah because we lable all conservatives as racist here.

Please stop seeing the world as Left vs. Right and get a damn life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 08:51 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,956,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvaderBryce View Post
Yeah because we lable all conservatives as racist here.

Please stop seeing the world as Left vs. Right and get a damn life.
The truth hurts. I'm just trying to give some friendly advice to anyone who isn't a leftwing moobat: Stay away from the California of the East Coast.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
The truth hurts. I'm just trying to give some friendly advice to anyone who isn't a leftwing moobat: Stay away from the California of the East Coast.
I'm not a "leftwing moobat" and I very much enjoy living in this state. Sure the Liberal Democrats have made the state anti-bussiness and taxed my parents to high heaven, but I still love it here and I will continue to live here for as long as possible.

As I've told you before, if you don't like living here then leave; it's that simple. Here's an idea, why not move to MS; I'm sure you'd enjoy it down there being amongst people of your ilk.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:51 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,104,814 times
There are many reasons why we moved to North Carolina. Politics wasn't one of them. I lived in Mayo and it wasn't real hard to find conservatives re: rednecks, there. The Rebel flag was seen on occasion too. One of the stranger politics that I've saw in Maryland and not in North Carolina was the Clan. They were regularly in the news in MD and you never hear anything about them here in NC. I also hardly ever see the Rebel flag here in NC. They are also more tolerant of gays and lesbians here.

Old 09-29-2012, 03:00 PM

53 posts, read 136,124 times
Maryland is pretty wild, and you can go from a dense/liberal/ghetto into a rural/conservative/safe area without much of, or any, transition zone in between. I've lived here 22 out of my 27 years and only left for military service. Even then I was up here whenever I got the chance.

Anywhere what's red on the map is mostly Rural and generally a good area. There are some exceptions though: Pasadena (31) is dense but redneck spirited. Glen Burnie is (32 and 12a) are dense but mostly older, safe, White areas, and you can find some very nice smaller homes there. Watch out for nearby Severn or South Gate though.

The big green area in the East is mostly Wicomico county and is rural. The one in the middle is Aberdeen Prooving Ground, Joppa, and Edgewood. Live there if you work on base, but otherwise it's not a great area. Joppa and especially Edgewood went downhilll when they put in a bus route, and there are a lot of apartments and sec 8 rentals. The green area in the west contains the city of Frederick and it's nice to visit and maybe see a Key's game.

Any of the districts you see on the map which border Pennsylvania and Delaware are going to be fine even if their shading is a bit off (like 01b or 34b for example), in fact anything along the northern or eastern borders and going about 20-30 miles inward is just about guaranteed to be rural.

That north-south pink strip in Central MD (33B, 27B, 29C) is pretty rural, with some McMansions. The other parts of the South (29A + 29B in St. Mary's) are largely rural even though they're blue (because it's a college town). Lots of good old southern living down there, and a lot of boating, crabbing, fishing life too, but it's pretty pricy even for Maryland.

Stay away from Charles County and Waldorf, and for gosh sakes stay away from Prince George's County. I don't need to tell you what Baltimore city is like and there are pockets of surrounding areas like Randallstown, Windsor Mill, Owings Mills, Security, etc. Those which I just mentioned are hell-holes.

For Horse farms I'd suggest Carroll or Frederick counties, or the northern half of Baltimore county. The entire Eastern Shore has cheap land (at least in Maryland terms) except right across the bay bridge where a lot of Annapolis commuters live. Carroll or Frederick are probably the OP's best bet, but there's options elsewhere.

Old 09-29-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
There are many reasons why we moved to North Carolina. Politics wasn't one of them. I lived in Mayo and it wasn't real hard to find conservatives re: rednecks, there. The Rebel flag was seen on occasion too. One of the stranger politics that I've saw in Maryland and not in North Carolina was the Clan. They were regularly in the news in MD and you never hear anything about them here in NC. I also hardly ever see the Rebel flag here in NC. They are also more tolerant of gays and lesbians here.
You should venture out into the stix from time-to-time and you just might see a few more rebel flags.

If you ever do you'll find a lot of rural poverty, both White and Black, and very self-segregated. Drive some back roads and there'll be 100% Black areas and 100% White areas, and a hell of a lot more trailer parks than you'll ever find in Maryland. Lots of farms. Lots of good, and lots of bad too.

Besides, don't they have a big Nascar track in Greenville? I believe I went there once when I lived in Fayetteville, NC (only place I've lived outside of Maryland).

Old 09-29-2012, 04:07 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,685,123 times
"Horse country" like hunt valley area???
I love the hunt valley (sparks) and the greater areas surrounding it like carroll county (clark, eldersburg, westminster etc.)... or close to the MD/PA line is some of the nicer areas I have traveled through & seen quite a few nice country homes in.

Howard county???
That place is overrated & "still" over priced.
As agreed with many of my builder friends I chat with.

Old 09-29-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
"Horse country" like hunt valley area???
I love the hunt valley (sparks) and the greater areas surrounding it like carroll county (clark, eldersburg, westminster etc.)... or close to the MD/PA line is some of the nicer areas I have traveled through & seen quite a few nice country homes in.

Howard county???
That place is overrated & "still" over priced.
As agreed with many of my builder friends I chat with.
Agreed with your sentiments, but Eldersburg (and nearby Sykesville) are VERY built up areas , and overpriced even for that. At least you avoid the Baltimore/PG riff-raff, and the schools are top notch, but yes all of Howard is overpriced and has been during my lifetime.

Sparks, yes. Hunt Valley, at least what I consider to be Hunt Valley is built up.

[I've lived in 5 towns in MD going every direction from outside the Baltimore beltway and know the state well. Combine that with general travel and you get the picture, that and I house hunted for awhile]

Old 09-30-2012, 08:52 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,104,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-74 View Post
You should venture out into the stix from time-to-time and you just might see a few more rebel flags.

If you ever do you'll find a lot of rural poverty, both White and Black, and very self-segregated. Drive some back roads and there'll be 100% Black areas and 100% White areas, and a hell of a lot more trailer parks than you'll ever find in Maryland. Lots of farms. Lots of good, and lots of bad too.

Besides, don't they have a big Nascar track in Greenville? I believe I went there once when I lived in Fayetteville, NC (only place I've lived outside of Maryland).
We've been all over Eastern Carolina and have seen it all. What does having trailer parks have to do with anything? In NC they utilize trailer parks, in MD they have HUGE housing projects. Which would you rather have? The simple fact is poor people have to live somewhere.

There aren't and never have been any NASCAR tracks in Greenville.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:13 AM

Just for future reference:

"Red areas": Safe
"Blue areas": Dangerous, ghetto, poor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland