Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 03:16 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,084,776 times

Advertisements

Bethesda isn't a city and neither is Columbia. The second largest city in Maryland is Frederick, and it is an order of magnitude smaller than Baltimore so there is no competition as to what the main city in Maryland is
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 09:24 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,437,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The thing is, Bethesda isn't legally a "city" or "town" in the eyes of the State of Maryland. It's a Census Tract. It may be a Major Town Center (I don't know the details of Montgomery County zoning designations).

Municipal League, MD - Official Website - Member Cities & Towns
That's exactly why I said I consider Bethesda to be from North Bethesda to Chevy Chase; there are no official boundaries. But I can understand what everyone else is saying and I respect everyone's opinions, I know Bethesda will never have sports teams of its own, or hold major conventions, or whatever I just believe it holds more power within its boundaries and I'm sticking with that. It still has fortune 500 companies within its boundaries, it has upscale districts, it has billionaires, it will never be urban as Baltimore, it will never (hopefully not at least) have urban slumps, and etc. I still don't consider a suburb, a suburb would more on the lines of Potomac.

So after Baltimore and Annapolis what would the main city, or most powerful city in the state be since its not Bethesda? Fredrick? Salisbury?

SN: I'd say Bethesda is a extension of DC, not suburb. Maybe that's why I see it as more powerful.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:37 PM

6,998 posts, read 11,293,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
That's exactly why I said I consider Bethesda to be from North Bethesda to Chevy Chase; there are no official boundaries. But I can understand what everyone else is saying and I respect everyone's opinions, I know Bethesda will never have sports teams of its own, or hold major conventions, or whatever I just believe it holds more power within its boundaries and I'm sticking with that. It still has fortune 500 companies within its boundaries, it has upscale districts, it has billionaires, it will never be urban as Baltimore, it will never (hopefully not at least) have urban slumps, and etc. I still don't consider a suburb, a suburb would more on the lines of Potomac.

So after Baltimore and Annapolis what would the main city, or most powerful city in the state be since its not Bethesda? Fredrick? Salisbury?

SN: I'd say Bethesda is a extension of DC, not suburb. Maybe that's why I see it as more powerful.
Maryland isn't really a state with many powerful cities. Better to think of us as a state of counties and regions. Perhaps this is why Baltimore City is considered a county for all intents and purposes.

As for which counties are most powerful. Here is my "off the cuff" list.

1. Montgomery
2. Baltimore City
3. Baltimore County
4. Anne Arundel County
5. PG County

3/5 make the list because they are big and Democratic, the corner stones to state political power. Anne Arunel makes the list because Annapolis is there, the state capital. Baltimore County makes the list as I think of it having the same basic power base as Baltimore City, just divided by the city/county line.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:15 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post

Yea - but Bethesda isn't just downtown (Wisconsin/East-West/Old Georgetown area). It is also the areas roughly bordered by Wisconsin Ave, MacAruthur blvd, and Bradley Blvd - which are pretty much the suburbs. Albeit most will say its the suburbs of DC... Personally, I'm not sure what it means to be the "main" city (Powerful in terms of what? political clout, financial influence, social influence...?). But Baltimore would, IMO, be the most common city associated with MD when you talk to non-locals.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:35 AM

575 posts, read 554,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Maryland isn't really a state with many powerful cities. Better to think of us as a state of counties and regions. Perhaps this is why Baltimore City is considered a county for all intents and purposes.

As for which counties are most powerful. Here is my "off the cuff" list.

1. Montgomery
2. Baltimore City
3. Baltimore County
4. Anne Arundel County
5. PG County

3/5 make the list because they are big and Democratic, the corner stones to state political power. Anne Arunel makes the list because Annapolis is there, the state capital. Baltimore County makes the list as I think of it having the same basic power base as Baltimore City, just divided by the city/county line.
What about Howard County?

Old 10-03-2012, 02:05 PM

6,998 posts, read 11,293,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvaderBryce View Post
What about Howard County?
Sure, Howard County would belong on a most influencial list too.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:01 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,437,729 times
Yeah pretty much any Central Maryland County is far above the rest in influence, I counted once that over four million people or close to it live in the area which is the majority of Maryland.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:10 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,737,640 times
Other than the two main arteries through Bethesda, the town actually peters out rather quickly. If Arlington, or say even Reston were on the MD side than I think you may have more legit competition. However, since Northern VA pulls a lot of the weight from the MD side I believe that Baltimore benefits as being the true MD city. In VA, Richmond and Norfolk seem to be somewhat overshadowed by Northern VA.

In addition, the Baltimore influence continues a good 20 miles into PA as well even though it is not considered part of the official metropolitan area.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:10 PM

671 posts, read 1,545,976 times
Really OP?

Baltimore.

Next topic.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:01 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,737,640 times
I can't seem to find a flight that goes from LAX-Bethesda, but I can find one that goes to Baltimore. I think that answers the original question.

Last edited by santafe400; 10-05-2012 at 07:02 PM.. Reason: clearification
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland