Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 06:29 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,345,692 times

Advertisements

I think East is the way the regular road signs direct you to "stay on 95," but that sign with the driving times makes it seem like West is shorter when it's not. East is "longer" to get to the state of Virginia, but shorter for getting back on 95.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 05:59 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The population density in the DMV area is much higher than it is in Minnesota or most other places in the U.S. Many of the driving habits of people change because of that. It is not the same thing.

I am sure you have never driven in New York City, especially in Manhattan. The drivers there will make anything you've experienced in Maryland or D.C. seem like a cakewalk.
I have driven through NYC either on my way from Boston to Columbia, MD. or from Columbia to Boston a number of times. Personally I would not drive in Manhattan and generally opt for the subway or cab but the other Burroughs seem fine.

All freeways going into Minneapolis, one from each direction for the most part, all sort of merge in downtown Minneapolis. Not to mention that some of the merge-lanes are metered (that you means you go on the green light, stop on the red and it is usually one car per green for those not familiar. No, not everyone obeys them). Traffic during rush hour backs up for miles. Southbound on 94 gets backed up from downtown Minneapolis practically to downtown St. Paul (a distance of what, 7 miles?) and it can take an hour or more just to get through downtown Minneapolis from only one mile out.

My point was about bad driving, accidents, and the traffic jams they cause.

I agree that there are many people coming here, each with their own "regional" driving habits but sheesh! I swear Maryland would give a DL to a deaf blind man (and he'd probably drive )

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
You hit the nail on the head. Once I again I need to remind people that there is more to Maryland than the DC burbs and Baltimore. Up here in Mount Airy you rarely see aggressive driving, people are way nice. It's a country/city thing.

But by all means condone a state because of the way they drive in Silver Spring.
I sometimes forget that there is a whole rest of the other State out there, but my day-to-day is generally found somewhere between Columbia and suburban DC. It know it is for the worse, but that does shape my (negative) view of this State.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:58 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,060,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I'm sure you did, but that's not a common occurrence. Apparently in Maryland (and VA) that's just another typical rush hour.
Ride metro or MARC

Old 07-05-2014, 10:31 AM

59,056 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
I'm sure you did, but that's not a common occurrence. Apparently in Maryland (and VA) that's just another typical rush hour.
"Apparently", you are wrong.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Apparently", you are wrong.
That reply doesn't make any sense. Are you saying what I described is not a typical rush hour? Then thank you for agreeing with me that the situation was pretty ridiculous. But still, situations like that are clearly not all that uncommon in Maryland as evidenced by the multiple similar experiences also mentioned in this thread.

Old 07-06-2014, 01:32 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Was driving from where I live now in NC to visit family in NJ yesterday.

Took 301 to avoid the usual horrible traffic on 95/495 (although of course that's a VA problem too).

Somewhere around Upper Marlboro, an accident caused traffic to come to a crawl. Ended up taking about 3 hours to go maybe 2 miles.

My reward for finally making it to where the accident was? Being forced to make a u-turn and drive opposite of the direction I was trying to go. On top of that, nearly every possible side road to get around it was closed for construction (I and others tried several both before and after making the u-turn). Ended up having to drive about 7 miles south in more traffic before I finally found a road that actually went north.

It must have been a serious accident (haven't seen the details) so my prayers go out to those involved. But that's not an excuse for having a major thoroughfare apparently closed for hours during rush hour with no warning or legitimate alternate route. Didn't hear anything about it on the several radio stations I tried, and there was no sign warning that the road was closed ahead...I'm pretty sure I did pass one of those electronic signs -- it read "Keep Work Zones safe." Heck a police officer directing traffic prior to that point would've been nice. It's not like they were all busy tending to the accident; I sat in the traffic for at least an hour before I saw any emergency vehicles driving up the shoulder.

Speaking of work zones and probably subject for another thread, but I'm pretty sure every construction project on 95 in the Baltimore area that was going on when I left 3 years ago is still going on . But hey, at least the toll prices only doubled!

Sorry Marylanders, I really hate your state. /rant
Accidents don't happen in other states?

Old 07-06-2014, 02:13 PM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
That reply doesn't make any sense. Are you saying what I described is not a typical rush hour? Then thank you for agreeing with me that the situation was pretty ridiculous. But still, situations like that are clearly not all that uncommon in Maryland as evidenced by the multiple similar experiences also mentioned in this thread.
"Sitting" for 2 hours is not typical. If you had said, "crawling" then that would be typical. Just my opinion.

Old 07-06-2014, 02:27 PM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I have driven through NYC either on my way from Boston to Columbia, MD. or from Columbia to Boston a number of times. Personally I would not drive in Manhattan and generally opt for the subway or cab but the other Burroughs seem fine.
You have to actually drive on the surface streets of Manhattan, find parking, visit the attractions, dine in the restaurants, etc.

That's what separates the men from the mice here in the U.S. ;-)

Old 07-07-2014, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Accidents don't happen in other states?
And again, my main complaint wasn't that an accident occurred. It was the compilation of events that happened afterwards that in my opinion other states would have had a better solution for:

-no warning sign, despite one being available
-no one directing traffic before the accident location, instead making people sit in traffic for hours only to be forced to make a u-turn (with no more advice than to turn around) and sit in even more traffic so you could go opposite of the direction you were trying to go
-and then the kicker was the fact that nearly every possible alternate route for 5 miles or so was closed for construction

Old 07-07-2014, 05:57 AM

59,056 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
The comment was made that 2 HOURS is the typical commute time.

I KNOW that is NOT true.

Traffic accidents and road work cause back ups all over the country and MD is no different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland