Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 06:04 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,861,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
If you count Southern Maryland, over half of the Eastern Shore, and more than a few folks in Western Maryland as "only the far Southeastern portion", sure.
Western Maryland doesn't have Southern speech patterns. It is well north of the dialect line outlined by University of Pennsylvania. I've been to Western Maryland. Heard no Southern accents while I was there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 07:44 PM

7,021 posts, read 11,314,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Western Maryland doesn't have Southern speech patterns. It is well north of the dialect line outlined by University of Pennsylvania. I've been to Western Maryland. Heard no Southern accents while I was there.
I tend to agree, Western Maryland speech is best described as twangy Midland speech, in the same dialect region as SW PA and northern WV.

That said, please tell me you mean Allegany and Garrett County. If you went to Western Maryland and ended up in Frederick or Hagerstown, you fell about 60 miles short of the region.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:18 PM

581 posts, read 969,691 times
Quote:
The majority doesn't, no. But I have heard them there, and from more than a few people. I've heard southern accents from several elderly natives of DC too. Dialect lines are hardly definitive boundaries and vary heavily between publications. UPenn itself has published maps showing the boundary of Southern and Midland dialects as going through Western Maryland and DC.
A problem with ANAE and TESLUR is that they unfortunately don't actually have very many samples in MD - including no samples at all from Western or Southern Maryland or the Eastern Shore. In fact Chesapeake Bay area dialects (even the Tidewater accent) are terribly understudied in general.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:32 PM

7,021 posts, read 11,314,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
The majority doesn't, no. But I have heard them there, and from more than a few people. I've heard southern accents from elderly natives of DC too. Dialect lines are hardly definitive boundaries and vary heavily between publications. UPenn itself has published maps showing the boundary of Southern and Midland dialects as going through Western Maryland and DC.
A problem with ANAE and TESLUR is that they unfortunately don't actually have very many samples in MD. In fact the Chesapeake Bay area (even the Tidewater accent) is terribly understudied at the moment.
What you have in Cumberland is a historic transportation center between Baltimore to the east, Pittsburgh to the west, and the WV coal fields to the south.

South Cumberland especially has natives that are descended from West Virginians who worked for the rail road and migrated north a few generations ago. There is a local sub-dialect my brother coined as the 'South Cumberland drawl." It is a strange mix of elements of the atonal, harsh Baltimore accent pronounced from the extreme front of your mouth and the sing-song like cadence that is common a bit further south.

Now, go south of Cumberland down 220 and the influence of mountain speech becomes more noticeable. Keyser is only a 1/2 hour south from Cumberland, and is pronounced as "Kahzer" by natives. Long 'I" isn't a dipthong there. Places like McCoole and Rawlings in MD sound very similar.

Head west to Frostburg, and the PA influence become stronger yet. This is my dialect, my parents are both from communities on the outskirts of town. My grandfather sounded just like Mr. Rogers, and I have some very diagnostic Pittsburgh features in my speech, like the merging of vowels in "pull, pole, and poll." My friends with family roots in Cumberland still tease me for this. They can still differentiate these vowels when speaking and listening. I can't do either.

Last edited by westsideboy; 03-21-2016 at 09:45 PM..

Old 03-22-2016, 07:45 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,426,825 times
*Are you serious????!!!!! Stop lying to yourself! My sister lives in Hagerstown, MD and I've been to Hancock, MD. Those people out there sound very southern and act very bigoted, especially whites.

Quote:

Old 03-22-2016, 11:35 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,059,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialmostforgot View Post
Can anyone post videos of the accents of Irish/Italian Baltimoreans? It is difficult to find videos other than those of Pelosi (who doesn't really have an accent). We have so few that the Italians I've met while living here were all from New York!
Pelosi doesn't have an accent except for the part she sounds like a diluted Miss Kay Robertson.

Old 03-23-2016, 06:58 AM

217 posts, read 308,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
What you have in Cumberland is a historic transportation center between Baltimore to the east, Pittsburgh to the west, and the WV coal fields to the south.

South Cumberland especially has natives that are descended from West Virginians who worked for the rail road and migrated north a few generations ago. There is a local sub-dialect my brother coined as the 'South Cumberland drawl." It is a strange mix of elements of the atonal, harsh Baltimore accent pronounced from the extreme front of your mouth and the sing-song like cadence that is common a bit further south.

Now, go south of Cumberland down 220 and the influence of mountain speech becomes more noticeable. Keyser is only a 1/2 hour south from Cumberland, and is pronounced as "Kahzer" by natives. Long 'I" isn't a dipthong there. Places like McCoole and Rawlings in MD sound very similar.

Head west to Frostburg, and the PA influence become stronger yet. This is my dialect, my parents are both from communities on the outskirts of town. My grandfather sounded just like Mr. Rogers, and I have some very diagnostic Pittsburgh features in my speech, like the merging of vowels in "pull, pole, and poll." My friends with family roots in Cumberland still tease me for this. They can still differentiate these vowels when speaking and listening. I can't do either.
A friend of mine always used to say, "I'm not saying Cumberland is the end of the world, but you can definitely see it from there!"

Old 03-23-2016, 10:21 PM

153 posts, read 200,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialmostforgot View Post
Can anyone post videos of the accents of Irish/Italian Baltimoreans? It is difficult to find videos other than those of Pelosi (who doesn't really have an accent). We have so few that the Italians I've met while living here were all from New York!
Delegate Patrick McDonough of Baltimore County:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpGi8Yl-EqA

Anyway, I was born in Baltimore and am of half Irish/half Jewish heritage. Neither the Irish nor the Jews in Baltimore have a unique accent from the other white Baltimoreans AFAIK. The Irish are extremely well assimilated (as they are in most of the country), and so are the Jews to a lesser extent.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:29 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,059,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brb going fishing View Post
Delegate Patrick McDonough of Baltimore County:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpGi8Yl-EqA

Anyway, I was born in Baltimore and am of half Irish/half Jewish heritage. Neither the Irish nor the Jews in Baltimore have a unique accent from the other white Baltimoreans AFAIK. The Irish are extremely well assimilated (as they are in most of the country), and so are the Jews to a lesser extent.
Perfect Bmore accent. I like that sound a lot.

Old 03-27-2016, 10:15 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,056,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
That said, please tell me you mean Allegany and Garrett County. If you went to Western Maryland and ended up in Frederick or Hagerstown, you fell about 60 miles short of the region.
What IS Washington County then??? It's definitely not "central" Maryland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland