Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 04:53 AM

7 posts, read 31,586 times

Advertisements

Marylands Nickname is the "Old Line State" you know what that mean that is the start of the Mason-Dixon Line the imaginary point where the North and South seperates, remember in the old days Maryland is still considered a Southern State....

Old 03-15-2008, 02:58 PM

7,021 posts, read 11,314,367 times
"The Old Line" state doesn't refer to the Mason-Dixon Line. It refers to the courage and fortitude of a MD regiment in the Revolutionary War. The MD troops held a defensive line against the British and thus earned the nickname

Old 03-25-2008, 07:06 AM

8 posts, read 34,560 times
Cultural yes, a culture that it is fundamentally dictated by geography. It's hotter south of the Mason Dixon line. For growing things it is the first southern zone level. Life moves at a pace with the season, which, when it is hot - life moves slower. Generations prior to the advent of airconditioning moved slower still and established firmly within the culture a laid back attitude and an appreciation of long stories, long novels and long family trees. All to pass the time while fanning. WIth more time to converse, and consider the stories and gossip southerners became in their own way more socially savvy, regardless of class.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:12 AM

8 posts, read 34,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annieproductions View Post
I think I am one of those with a biased opinion. I just relocated here a few wks ago from NY and I am in culture shock. I feel the pace is way to slow and I am staying in Baltimore county. I did not realize it was going to be like this. All I see are people at the mall...and eating out. I am not finding much to do down here other than the inner harbor. I consider most of Maryland southern, although Baltimore city and DC have a different vibe. Guess I just miss NY and I am probably not looking in the right places for things to do. The traffic does remind me of NY, just without the vibe.
Would it be fair to say that Manhattanites have short attention spans?

Old 03-25-2008, 07:24 AM

38 posts, read 142,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativeblac View Post
Marylands Nickname is the "Old Line State" you know what that mean that is the start of the Mason-Dixon Line the imaginary point where the North and South seperates, remember in the old days Maryland is still considered a Southern State....
false.

as the poster above stated, the nickname was bestowed by George Washington because of the Maryland Regiment's ability to "hold the line" during the Battle of Long Island during the Revolutionary War.

please take another history lesson, or at least read this: Archives of Maryland Online

most restuarants in maryland don't serve sweet tea (the new mcdonald's sweet tea notwithstanding) and we don't have near enough waffle houses to be considered "the south"...

Old 03-25-2008, 10:22 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,918,260 times
Culturally, yes and no. Yes in all of the historical ills and inefficiencies the South is (or was) known for. No in how Maryland has none of the positive aspects of southern living (a consistent warm client, friendly affable people, a laid-back pace of life, good looking women, etc). But even if MD had all of the positive aspects, it isn't like I would be able to personally experience them anyway.*

*Sorry to sound like a troll, but it's just due to my experiences while living here.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:20 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,432,556 times
It's not the south. I grew up there and then, sadly, did move to the south. So, even though it's south of the Mason-Dixon line, it just isn't the south. Funny, I've had this conversation with a lot of people over the years.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:29 PM

217 posts, read 921,709 times
I grew up in Montgomery County, with family in Baltimore City and County, Anne Arundal County, Carrol County and Prince Georges County.

It's not the South in the sense that Northern Virginia isn't the South. The Maryland Accent is very distinct and it is not a classic southern accent; it's much more of a Phillidelphia twang than a Southern Drawl.

But don't go telling that to some of the "old money" Marylanders, especially those from the counties surrounding the Chesapeake... Yeah, they're from the "south"... I once pointed out that the rusted cars and trailer parks littering Upper Marlboro (are there any? I was making a joke) certainly did remind one of North Georgia...

And no one serves biscuits and gravy in MD, at least properly, that I am aware of.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:34 AM

293 posts, read 570,654 times
I grew up in Florida and my wife in Georgia and Maryland is not the South, period. We have this talk all the time and we find it so funny that people actually think that this state has a southern feel. Anyone who has spent a lot of time in the south will know Maryland is not the South. The small things make the difference (i.e. having grits with your eggs ) or being served "REAL" sweet tea etc... I know what Maryland's past is but as of today, it is not the South.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:13 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
It taxes like the north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland