Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 02:41 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,077,634 times

Advertisements

Maryland, as far north at the Pennsylvania line, has branches of the "Southern States" gardening and houseware supply stores.

Before the late 1960s, Maryland had de facto school segregation. I don't think this was true of any states north of the Mason-Dixon line. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Of the soldiers enlisting from the southern counties of Charles, Calvert, and St. Mary's, 80 or 90% joined the Confederate forces - rather than the Union forces. Tens of thousands of Union soldiers were stationed in Charles County to keep it from joining the

The Mayor of Baltimore, and the city's leading newspaper editor, were imprisoned at Fort McHenry because of their Confederate leanings. A year of two before the Civil War began, a trainload of Massachusetts soldiers were fired on by angry Baltimore mob, as the soldiers marched a mile between 2 Baltimore stations to change trains headed south.

In a 3-way Presidential race, Abraham Lincoln received only ONE vote in all of Prince Georges County. It was thought to be cast by Dr. John Bayne (who lived next to what it today National Harbor) and was the founder of the Maryland Agricultural College (which grew into the U. Md.)

Many old-timers (including White people) in the 3 southern counties, still today speak with a Southern non-rhotic accept (they don't pronounce the sound "R")

The "Sons of Confederate Veterans" group currently has at least 3 chapters in Maryland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 05:25 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,344,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Maryland, as far north at the Pennsylvania line, has branches of the "Southern States" gardening and houseware supply stores.

Before the late 1960s, Maryland had de facto school segregation. I don't think this was true of any states north of the Mason-Dixon line. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Of the soldiers enlisting from the southern counties of Charles, Calvert, and St. Mary's, 80 or 90% joined the Confederate forces - rather than the Union forces. Tens of thousands of Union soldiers were stationed in Charles County to keep it from joining the

The Mayor of Baltimore, and the city's leading newspaper editor, were imprisoned at Fort McHenry because of their Confederate leanings. A year of two before the Civil War began, a trainload of Massachusetts soldiers were fired on by angry Baltimore mob, as the soldiers marched a mile between 2 Baltimore stations to change trains headed south.

In a 3-way Presidential race, Abraham Lincoln received only ONE vote in all of Prince Georges County. It was thought to be cast by Dr. John Bayne (who lived next to what it today National Harbor) and was the founder of the Maryland Agricultural College (which grew into the U. Md.)

Many old-timers (including White people) in the 3 southern counties, still today speak with a Southern non-rhotic accept (they don't pronounce the sound "R")

The "Sons of Confederate Veterans" group currently has at least 3 chapters in Maryland.
Every slave state had school segregation.

Old 01-30-2017, 11:35 AM

124 posts, read 202,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Every slave state had school segregation.
So did Indiana, California, Kansas, Ohio, and Oregon. Does that make them southern?

Old 01-30-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenial Hippy View Post
So did Indiana, California, Kansas, Ohio, and Oregon. Does that make them southern?
Those states didn't have mandatory laws though like Missouri, Arkansas, Maryland etc.

Old 02-02-2017, 05:53 AM

1,804 posts, read 1,955,655 times
WBAL just posted a story on the historical antebellum Hampton Plantation, and no, this isn't located in the southern or eastern regions of the state, but literally right on the beltway with the Towson skyline in plain view from the roof, and the story mentioned that the will of the planter supported servitude/slavery indefinitely. It also mentioned how it didn't just affect blacks, but also white immigrants from Ireland, Germany, and some other countries as well, a practice that was much more limited by the 1850s in the real northern states. Sure, by then, the railroad had connected Baltimore with the Northeast pretty well, but it was inevitable that the spread of technology would soon result in war. Even the deep south just doesn't feel all that southern in the classical sense for that matter as more national and international culture became the norm.

Maryland isn't the only state (or region) where regional perception can possibly shift. Iowa for example was once western, but is solidly Midwestern (pretty much any state in that region was formerly western, and in Missouri's case, formerly southern).

Old 02-02-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
WBAL just posted a story on the historical antebellum Hampton Plantation, and no, this isn't located in the southern or eastern regions of the state, but literally right on the beltway with the Towson skyline in plain view from the roof, and the story mentioned that the will of the planter supported servitude/slavery indefinitely. It also mentioned how it didn't just affect blacks, but also white immigrants from Ireland, Germany, and some other countries as well, a practice that was much more limited by the 1850s in the real northern states. Sure, by then, the railroad had connected Baltimore with the Northeast pretty well, but it was inevitable that the spread of technology would soon result in war. Even the deep south just doesn't feel all that southern in the classical sense for that matter as more national and international culture became the norm.

Maryland isn't the only state (or region) where regional perception can possibly shift. Iowa for example was once western, but is solidly Midwestern (pretty much any state in that region was formerly western, and in Missouri's case, formerly southern).
True and I agree! However in Missouri's case while overall today most call it Midwestern, it is still heavily southern influenced though and parts of the state are still located in the south, about 1/4th of the state, and at least another quarter is in this transition zone that's similar to southern IN and southern IL a blend of both cultures.

Politics and religion wise, Missouri basically resembles a southern state more than a Midwestern state though. Southern Baptist edge out Catholics in the state, and politically it behaves like other southern states with abortion laws, gun laws and it was a hard fight getting a state lottery in Missouri because of the Baptist being against it. I remember when I was really small my mom would travel across the bridge into IL to buy their lotto tickets because MO didn't have one.

I'm from St. Louis County, MO which I have stated isn't quite enough to fit in the transition zone, but compared to other places in the Midwest, it just feels different and not as northern even though it's not a southern city of course. The influences in Missouri are still there. I don't know how to explain it, but I had a teacher in college a few years ago for a summer class from Iowa and he said when you cross over and drive into Missouri how the state feels totally different to him. He said the pace seems slower, and defiantly the bible belt compared to Iowa.

In the areas of Missouri that are no longer considered southern or transition zone you can still sense the past in it and minor influences. I'm sure Maryland is the same way too. While a majority of the state isn't southern anymore you can still feel some minor influences from it's past though from when it was more southern.

Like these maps for example below. Even areas north of highway 50 that are outside the transition zone you can still see why there are some influences left. Missouri really sticks out. I'm surprised Maryland doesn't have any counties with a majority southern Baptist.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:57 PM

80 posts, read 55,980 times
Default What constitutes excrement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
I think it's the opposite, the WORST rolled up in a pile of excrement.
I'm hesitant to respond because 1) I don't have a lot of extraneous time and energy; 2) I'm likely being baited. Yet, here I am.

I've lived in some pretty nice parts of the country--Asheville, NC, Austin, TX, Iowa City, IA, Maine--and I have traveled many countries in Europe--but Baltimore stole my heart.

I understand this city has its big city problems. Crime, drugs, and the taxes are insane. The roads cost a fortune in front end alignments. Yet, when I spent my summer here as an intern, the city stole my heart.

This city has a wabi-sabi aesthetic. It is rough around the edges, and it is block-by-block, but it also possesses beauty and charm. Beautiful old architecture mixed with sleek, attractive, modern buildings. I drive down 395 to 95 and look at the lights lit up in my city and think, "This is beautiful and this is my city".

I suppose everything is relative. The weather here beats the crap out of the -30 degree winter weather on the Iowa prairie with unforgiving winds. I am now away from the insular Midwest on the Atlantic Ocean, and just a short road trip from the mountains. DC is accessible by train. NY is a short jaunt, and beautiful New England is a road trip away (where I was born, and where my family lives).

When I was interning here over the summer and my husband traveled to visit, we saw an incredible jazz show at Baltimore Museum of Art and a great Orioles vs. Red Sox game. We had fun by the harbor and had some memorable restaurant meals (e.g., Thames Street Oyster House and Sobo Cafe). I spent my summer writing my final applied project paper for my master's degree at Koba Cafe in Federal Hill (awesome food and cappucinos, perfect study spot).

People here are friendly. I have always wanted to live in a diverse city. I love the diversity of this city, and I consider it one of its many strengths.

I just bought a home in Reservoir Hill. A huge reason why I bought it is because every time I looked at a home in the area, a neighbor approached me to talk. It was obvious to me that this is a neighborhood where people care about community and the place they live. I can't wait to get involved with things going on there--Residents Against the Tunnel (RATT), Whitelock Community Farm, taking care of the park on Mt. Royal Terrace, etc. I think that making sh*t better starts with each person putting in the effort. This is something that can make a positive impact regardless of what boneheads are in political office. It's called having accountability to yourself, your friends, your neighbors.

I could go on and on, but I have to ask you----why would you continue to encapsulate yourself in a "pile of excrement" if that is truly the sentiment you have toward their living environs? Get yourself a cheap Greyhound ticket and find somewhere new, if that's truly how you feel. I suspect it is not, though. I suspect you love this city, too.

Old 02-02-2017, 08:32 PM

7,020 posts, read 11,314,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
True and I agree! However in Missouri's case while overall today most call it Midwestern, it is still heavily southern influenced though and parts of the state are still located in the south, about 1/4th of the state, and at least another quarter is in this transition zone that's similar to southern IN and southern IL a blend of both cultures.

Politics and religion wise, Missouri basically resembles a southern state more than a Midwestern state though. Southern Baptist edge out Catholics in the state, and politically it behaves like other southern states with abortion laws, gun laws and it was a hard fight getting a state lottery in Missouri because of the Baptist being against it. I remember when I was really small my mom would travel across the bridge into IL to buy their lotto tickets because MO didn't have one.

I'm from St. Louis County, MO which I have stated isn't quite enough to fit in the transition zone, but compared to other places in the Midwest, it just feels different and not as northern even though it's not a southern city of course. The influences in Missouri are still there. I don't know how to explain it, but I had a teacher in college a few years ago for a summer class from Iowa and he said when you cross over and drive into Missouri how the state feels totally different to him. He said the pace seems slower, and defiantly the bible belt compared to Iowa.

In the areas of Missouri that are no longer considered southern or transition zone you can still sense the past in it and minor influences. I'm sure Maryland is the same way too. While a majority of the state isn't southern anymore you can still feel some minor influences from it's past though from when it was more southern.

Like these maps for example below. Even areas north of highway 50 that are outside the transition zone you can still see why there are some influences left. Missouri really sticks out. I'm surprised Maryland doesn't have any counties with a majority southern Baptist.

Maryland was founded as a Catholic colony, and this demographic was reinforced by Irish, Italian and German Catholic migration in the 19th and 20th century.

The places that seem Baptist culturally are Methodist because our state was an early hotbed for this religion and it has stuck. There are certainly Baptists around, they are in the minority compared to the other two though.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Maryland was founded as a Catholic colony, and this demographic was reinforced by Irish, Italian and German Catholic migration in the 19th and 20th century.

The places that seem Baptist culturally are Methodist because our state was an early hotbed for this religion and it has stuck. There are certainly Baptists around, they are in the minority compared to the other two though.
Also depends on how big the minority is. Places in Missouri for example in the transition zone, some of the areas have Catholic and German as the main religion and ancestry, but still have some southern influence due to a large minority. Southern Indiana is a good example of this. Southern Baptist and not the majority, however they still make a good chunk of the minority up and it's still a transition zone of Midwest and south blend. Transition zones don't have to have Baptist as majority religion to be southern influenced.

Also don't discount the Irish as well. Missouri for example a good number of Irish fought for the Confederate side either in the Missouri State Guard (Pro confederate state guard later merged with Confederate Army) or both. I think I read somewhere around 4,500 Irish from the St. Louis area fought for the Confederacy.

Both states after the civil war transformed though to an extent. Even though Missouri got a lot of immigration, a sizeable chunk of the state remained southern and has southern culture, dialect, history and especially religion. It seems Maryland has lost a lot of that. Maryland doesn't resemble a southern state anymore.

Why has Maryland become so liberal for? This is another thing that differs Missouri from Maryland. Missouri has a larger evangelical presence, and is very conservative. Out of 114 counties there are really only three counties that are what I'd call liberal. Jackson, St. Louis County/City and Boone county which Boone County isn't deep deep blue even. Jefferson County to the south used to vote democrat but not liberal ones. It has since switched to republican and always been conservative.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:17 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,426,825 times
Get at em' Millenial Hippy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenial Hippy View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland