Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2020, 10:27 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,565,832 times

Advertisements

Here's a possible downside of the decision.

Is Talbot County Killing its Golden Goose? | Seventh State

Old 08-19-2020, 10:58 AM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
Here's a possible downside of the decision.

Is Talbot County Killing its Golden Goose? | Seventh State
The closet racists from Montgomery and Howard will still go over to St. Michael's for the shoppes. They're with a better class of people when they're there.

I don't think some of you realize the depth of antipathy that still exists in this state in regards to the War of Northern Aggression even if Maryland was putatively "loyal".

Old 08-19-2020, 12:19 PM

2,188 posts, read 2,684,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The closet racists from Montgomery and Howard will still go over to St. Michael's for the shoppes. They're with a better class of people when they're there.
Maybe. Then again, the whole point of being a closet racist is the closet part. If an actual, organized boycott were to start I suspect you'd see Ken and Samantha head elsewhere.

Old 08-19-2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:

I don't think some of you realize the depth of antipathy that still exists in this state in regards to the War of Northern Aggression even if Maryland was putatively "loyal".
The shoppes in St. Michaels alone, do not Talbot county make, especially when dependent on non residents.
Not sure what exactly you mean by the term "Closet Racists" or whether you're using it in a positive or negative way. Care to explain?

Because you used the term "War of Northern Aggression".......I'll respond with this.
As to the deep seated antipathy you reference, those racist traitors were a small minority, and lost, (I say that as a naturalized citizen), and to the victor go the spoils. They've had 150+ years to get used to it.

Old 08-19-2020, 01:32 PM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
The shoppes in St. Michaels alone, do not Talbot county make, especially when dependent on non residents.
Not sure what exactly you mean by the term "Closet Racists" or whether you're using it in a positive or negative way. Care to explain?

Because you used the term "War of Northern Aggression".......I'll respond with this.
As to the deep seated antipathy you reference, those racist traitors were a small minority, and lost, (I say that as a naturalized citizen), and to the victor go the spoils. They've had 150+ years to get used to it.
What do you think I mean by "closet racists"? Maybe the ones that talk the SJW talk but then say "The wrong people are using the beach/shopping in the stores/moving here". They just keep their white robes at the back of the closet.

I used War of Northern Aggression because I didn't feel like using The Recent Unpleasantness.

As far as the antipathy goes, it may have been 150 years but there are those for whom the trauma is still fresh.

Old 08-19-2020, 01:51 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
As far as the antipathy goes, it may have been 150 years but there are those for whom the trauma is still fresh.
Because they've been raised to that through the generations nursing that stupidly acquired festering wound
-- notably their grandmothers who put up these statues to honor traitors to our nation in public spaces.
They should have never been installed to begin with.

Old 08-19-2020, 02:42 PM

6,998 posts, read 11,293,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Because they've been raised to that through the generations nursing that stupidly acquired festering wound
-- notably their grandmothers who put up these statues to honor traitors to our nation in public spaces.
They should have never been installed to begin with.
Their grandmothers made the choice to put it up, the grandchildren now have the choice to take it down if they wish.

Old 08-19-2020, 03:46 PM

Quote:
What do you think I mean by "closet racists"? Maybe the ones that talk the SJW talk but then say "The wrong people are using the beach/shopping in the stores/moving here". They just keep their white robes at the back of the closet.

I used War of Northern Aggression because I didn't feel like using The Recent Unpleasantness.

"Recent Unpleasantness" is not the only alternative and in the context of US history, it's hardly recent. Why not simply use the most commonly accepted descriptor "Civil War"?
I suspect the trauma is still fresh, for those you reference, because they want it to be fresh, and that's their problem.

Old 08-19-2020, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Their grandmothers made the choice to put it up, the grandchildren now have the choice to take it down if they wish.
I suspect the people didn't "vote" to put it up! Who decided to add the statue of Frederick Douglass?

Old 08-19-2020, 04:21 PM

6,998 posts, read 11,293,992 times
Quote:
I suspect the people didn't "vote" to put it up! Who decided to add the statue of Frederick Douglass?
Sounds like an interesting research project. Let me know what you find out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland