Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2020, 07:42 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,565,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Great. It's our right as Americans to petition the government for a redress of grievances, and it appears that this group of young people have done just that. And now, the Talbot County Council members are deferring to the people they represent -- all of them -- to make a final decision. I'm not seeing a problem here, and I'm not sure why you seem to be . . . unless you're worried that the outcome of the vote won't be to your liking.
I have little doubt that if the voters are asked, they'll vote for removal, if the question is phrased simply. If the question is complex, like where to relocate, if at all, then there'll be lots of room for disagreement, that could cause the issue to fail.

Type the following into the search box of Google News,

"Local confederate memorials removed by ballots"*and you'll find few if any results.

All the results indicate that they are being removed by council votes. That's why Talbot looks suspicious.

Old 08-20-2020, 02:07 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
No, the ONLY question here is what the people of Talbot County will decide to do with their public memorials.
You worry about your own county. Let them worry about theirs.
No thanks.
The main point being that these things have no place (anywhere) as 'public' anything.

Old 08-20-2020, 04:19 AM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
I have little doubt that if the voters are asked, they'll vote for removal, if the question is phrased simply. If the question is complex, like where to relocate, if at all, then there'll be lots of room for disagreement, that could cause the issue to fail.

Type the following into the search box of Google News,

"Local confederate memorials removed by ballots"*and you'll find few if any results.

All the results indicate that they are being removed by council votes. That's why Talbot looks suspicious.
It only "looks suspicious" because you disagree with the decision. Any time an elected body does something people disagree with someone will claim it "looks suspicious". Every, single time.

We bought some property several years ago that had had about six plans submitted over the years for development. None of those plans were even approaching being realistic from a financial standpoint for the developers.

Over the years the parcel had become more and more problematic, it was overgrown and had become a toilet facility for people walking their dogs. It was bought by the Town and turned into a waterfront park.

Yet there were those who said the whole deal "looked suspicious" even though the last owners lost a **** ton of money on the purchase.

Like I said earlier, a County with 32,000 residents does retail politics differently than one with a million people. You have no idea what the County Commissioners were hearing when they stopped at the Royal Farms.

Old 08-20-2020, 04:23 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
It only "looks suspicious" because you disagree with the decision.
Nope. Because it's a feckless, spineless abdication of their responsibility to lead.

Old 08-20-2020, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Nope. Because it's a feckless, spineless abdication of their responsibility to lead.
No, you guys are bitching because they didn't vote to remove the statue and decided to take another avenue. That's it. They didn't make the decision you wanted so they're spineless in your mind.

As a note, I'm not an advocate on voter referenda. Mostly because, as is shown daily here, most people are too ****ing dumb to know what they want to do. In fact, most shouldn't be allowed to be around fire or knives.

Old 08-20-2020, 05:37 AM

Quote:
It only "looks suspicious" because you disagree with the decision. Any time an elected body does something people disagree with someone will claim it "looks suspicious". Every, single time.

We bought some property several years ago that had had about six plans submitted over the years for development. None of those plans were even approaching being realistic from a financial standpoint for the developers.

Over the years the parcel had become more and more problematic, it was overgrown and had become a toilet facility for people walking their dogs. It was bought by the Town and turned into a waterfront park.

Yet there were those who said the whole deal "looked suspicious" even though the last owners lost a **** ton of money on the purchase.

Like I said earlier, a County with 32,000 residents does retail politics differently than one with a million people. You have no idea what the County Commissioners were hearing when they stopped at the Royal Farms.
I said clearly it looks suspicious, based on the results of a Google News search, that showed in other counties*and states, the decision was being taken exclusively by the relevant authorities, not by the public.*

Your attempt to impute other motives to me won't work. Just look at how the decision has made both the national news, and local news across the country. Other communities, large and small are surprised, and that's the essence of news. I guess you didn't check with Google News, maybe you should.
The appropriate place for such a statue is in a confederate cemetery, or on private land.

Old 08-20-2020, 06:15 AM

Quote:
I said clearly it looks suspicious, based on the results of a Google News search, that showed in other counties*and states, the decision was being taken exclusively by the relevant authorities, not by the public.*

Your attempt to impute other motives to me won't work. Just look at how the decision has made both the national news, and local news across the country. Other communities, large and small are surprised, and that's the essence of news. I guess you didn't check with Google News, maybe you should.
The appropriate place for such a statue is in a confederate cemetery, or on private land.
Funny, the only place I've seen it is here. I get the Washington Post daily and I didn't see the story there.

The only motive I've imputed to you is that you are naive about how local politics in a small area works.

Old 08-20-2020, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
Maybe. Then again, the whole point of being a closet racist is the closet part. If an actual, organized boycott were to start I suspect you'd see Ken and Samantha head elsewhere.
I meant to respond to this. Ken and Samantha talk a good game but at the end of the day they'll sneak around.

Just look at Howard, and to a lesser extent Montgomery, right now with school redistricting. The people there are going nuts (or were, it's calmed down a bit due to the pandemic) when plans were floated to redistrict for equity. Ken and Samantha went nuts.

Now certainly, they didn't say that they didn't want their kids going to school with Black or brown kids, they used euphemisms like "people like they're used to" but it was there.

One thing about the old style Democratic racists, they at least were honest about it. Like the one years ago who invited me to a local Original Boys in the Hood meeting who told me not to tell anyone I was a Republican.

Old 08-20-2020, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Funny, the only place I've seen it is here. I get the Washington Post daily and I didn't see the story there.

The only motive I've imputed to you is that you are naive about how local politics in a small area works.
Breaking news, naivete is not a motive.

You specifically said I was opposed because I didn't "like the result". It's true I didn't like the result, but correlation is not causation. The absence of evidence, is not the evidence of absence etc.

You said most people are too dumb to be allowed near fire or knives. Well guess what, I punched "Talbot Boys Statue" into the search box on WaPo and got a total of 26 returns, 4 of them concerning the current controversy, the most recent being yesterday. Dumb?

Old 08-20-2020, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Breaking news, naivete is not a motive.

You specifically said I was opposed because I didn't "like the result". It's true I didn't like the result, but correlation is not causation. The absence of evidence, is not the evidence of absence etc.

You said most people are too dumb to be allowed near fire or knives. Well guess what, I punched "Talbot Boys Statue" into the search box on WaPo and got a total of 26 returns, 4 of them concerning the current controversy, the most recent being yesterday. Dumb?
I didn't say anything about your motives, just that you're naive about local politics in a small rural County.

Ok, I missed the story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland