Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 08:22 AM

924 posts, read 2,604,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyc View Post
? for you - I almost considered moving to Jax a few years back as the company I worked for then, Modis, has it's headquarters there. How is the job market in your field, and what is the opportunity like for finding another similar job in Jax, if you were to loose your current one.
In my field the job market is great... There are 3 navy bases down here so lots of defense contracting work... I would think I could easily find another job if I lost this one... I only sent one resume down to Jacksonville when I was living in MD and this is where I ended up...

The medical field is also in demand... The overall unemployment rate in Jacksonville, and in FL as a whole is pretty high though... A lot of people move here thinking that the sun will cure all of there woes without bringing a proper game plan or a marketable skill with them...

Old 03-04-2010, 08:27 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
I guess the interesting thing about this thread...people who dont like MD, aren't moving to VA or DC.

Basically it says this thread is about DC prices and not about the entire state of Maryland.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxfacs View Post
Smart move in your case you can save a lot, re-assess later if you want to move back to MD.
It is well established here that "Maryland" is expensive -
How much do you need to make per month for a decent living? family of 4 excluding cost of home mortgage/rent (that could swing)-
Realistic value
Its hard to say, it depends on where exactly in MD you want to live... Its hard for me to come up with a number that doesn't include the cost of housing...

I would say for a family of 4 to live in urban/central MD you would need to make at least 120k/yr to live comfortably... In the "cheaper" areas of MD maybe 100k/yr... Thats just a rough ballpark figure...

MD does have its benefits... I'm not sure that if I ever had kids that I would want to put them in the public school system down here... The school systems here don't get much attention... If I have kids I want them to have the same great experience I had in MD public schools...

Old 03-04-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I guess the interesting thing about this thread...people who dont like MD, aren't moving to VA or DC.

Basically it says this thread is about DC prices and not about the entire state of Maryland.
Agreed, I think it applies to the entire DC/Metro area...

Old 03-04-2010, 09:10 AM

789 posts, read 2,564,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel95 View Post
In my field the job market is great... There are 3 navy bases down here so lots of defense contracting work... I would think I could easily find another job if I lost this one... I only sent one resume down to Jacksonville when I was living in MD and this is where I ended up...

The medical field is also in demand... The overall unemployment rate in Jacksonville, and in FL as a whole is pretty high though... A lot of people move here thinking that the sun will cure all of there woes without bringing a proper game plan or a marketable skill with them...
ok tks; do you need top secret for those contracts? I've IT friends who moved from MD to Orlando a few years back, but now with the down turn of the economy they find themselves commuting to Tampa for work. I must mention this to them.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyc View Post
ok tks; do you need top secret for those contracts? I've IT friends who moved from MD to Orlando a few years back, but now with the down turn of the economy they find themselves commuting to Tampa for work. I must mention this to them.
I have an SF-85p but no official clearance... Orlando to Tampa is awful... I feel bad for them... Although a lot of the issue is that "IT" is such a broad spectrum... Developers and engineers are in demand... Sys admins, helpdesk, analysts, tech writers, etc... not so much...

If you have more questions feel free to send me a direct message...

Old 03-04-2010, 09:36 AM

68 posts, read 213,711 times
It blows my mind when people try to justify the high cost of living associated with living in Maryland. Yeas there are some areas that are more affordable then others but they are on the long end of an already long commute to begin with. I lived for 37 years in the Catonsville area of Maryland, which is in Baltimore Co, a good ways away from the DC area that everyone thinks is the only overpriced area in Maryland. And let me tell you that the cost of housing was rediculously expensive, I sold a three bedroom town house with a postage stamp size yard for $229,000 and bought a four bedroom beautiful Victorian built in 1886 on an acre of land for $132,000 in Merrill Wisconsin. I transfered with my job so my pay did not change and my wife found a job that pays relatively the same as an equivalent job would have payed back in Maryland. Now add this in with the fact that the general cost of living is less here and there is far less stress to deal with realated to over crowding of people, traffic and high crime rates, not to mention all the wide open spaces with fresh clean air and I'm supposed to believe that Maryland's high cost of living is balanced by the wealth of money that's being thrown at it's workers makes me laugh. Maryland is a great state geographically, you have the mountains as well as the ocean to enjoy. The history can't be duplicated elsewhere either, not to mention the Ravens and lots of go food.But when it comes to being able to afford to live a good quality of life Maryland unfortunately falls short for most of it's average citizens.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:57 AM

44 posts, read 131,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel95 View Post
Its hard to say, it depends on where exactly in MD you want to live... Its hard for me to come up with a number that doesn't include the cost of housing...

I would say for a family of 4 to live in urban/central MD you would need to make at least 120k/yr to live comfortably... In the "cheaper" areas of MD maybe 100k/yr... Thats just a rough ballpark figure...

MD does have its benefits... I'm not sure that if I ever had kids that I would want to put them in the public school system down here... The school systems here don't get much attention... If I have kids I want them to have the same great experience I had in MD public schools...

hmmmm... with Median Household Income of $68,000/ year in MD there is a real problem! US: $55000 something is not right- Ah great

Old 03-04-2010, 08:11 PM

55 posts, read 380,857 times
Default Okay...

Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Two things that are totally wrong in your comment. One Maryland is not part of the Northeast. The other is that not ALL parts of Montgomery County or any other parts of the Maryland/DC Suburbs is Expensive as most people would want to Believe. As I said before there are parts of the Atlanta area that are just as Expensive as parts of the Maryland/DC Suburbs and the Baltimore Suburbs.......
True...Maryland is not technically part of the Northeast, I suppose it's considered Mid-Atlantic. However it is often viewed as more like Northeastern states like NJ and NY in its tax policies and political environment than the Southeastern states.

As for cost comparisons, I was referring specifically to the Montgomery County - DC Suburbs of Maryland -- and the reality is that if you compare "apples to apples," living in a nice area of the aforementioned that's "close in" to DC versus the same in Atlanta (close in to the urban area), the latter is significantly more affordable. Sure...there are areas of Atlanta with some pricey housing...as there are in almost every city. But across the board, I can tell you from actually having owned homes in both areas, cost-of-living is lower in Atlanta, mainly because of housing as well as real estate taxes and state income tax.

Yes, people are paid more on average in the DC area than in Atlanta for comparable occupations, but I have never heard anyone claim that the typical additional income fully makes up the difference.

We are talking about comparisons across the board...not about whether you can find an exclusive, expensive area in Atlanta, Charlotte, Chapel Hill, or any of numerous places in the South (which of course you can).

By your argument, New York City is no more expensive than Atlanta simply because there are some expensive areas in Atlanta, too -- and there are cheap areas up in Buffalo!

Old 03-04-2010, 08:16 PM

55 posts, read 380,857 times
Default Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Right and you do notice that they are not going into the Virginia threads and making comments about Virgina being outrageously expensive. Fairfax County, VA is Far more Expensive to live in than Montgomery County, MD I can't understand why some people can't see that........
I have seen plenty of posts in the Virginia forums talking about the very high costs of living in Fairfax County...and Arlington County for that matter. What's your point? It sounds like you simply don't want anything negative to be said about Maryland. Do you work for the MD Department of Commerce?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland