Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2008, 12:34 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,777,186 times

Advertisements

I left MoCo in March and will never go back...it was hard to move away from my husband's family, but we had to think what was better for us and our kids in the long run. We are much happier where we are now. I know almost every person on my street after 6 months, whereas I knew maybe 3 people after 9 years in Germantown. Of course not everyone is nice; you'd be crazy to ask for that! People here don't have the "me, me, me" mentality, the pace is a bit slower, and some drivers are just as bad! Just try being tailgated by a redneck with a gun rack in his huge 4x4! Not fun. Nowhere is perfect. You have to decide what is more important to you and go for it!

Old 09-29-2008, 08:33 AM

33 posts, read 152,799 times
Default Carolina

Believe me, I had my bags packed and ready to go to Carolina. Then City-Data relayed gators in brackish waters, abundancy of black widows, and cockroaches big enough to put saddles on. I quietly unpacked and put my Shih Tzu's doggie bed away.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:22 AM

743 posts, read 2,244,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinagirl71 View Post
I think no matter were you go, as long as you are happy then that is the perfect place for you. We have lived on the Maryland's Eastern Shore for nearly 9 years. We loved it and thought we made the best move at the time. My husband nearly doubled his salary and cost of living was not so out of whack then. Now however, salaries do not match cost of living. We are so far from good paying jobs and competative shopping, we feel trapped. Moving closer to Annapolis is not an option, housing is twice what it is here. We are waiting to see if our house sells (may have to short sale or rent it out) South Carolina sounds good to me, is the BMW factory hiring? My husband has 21 years experience w/european luxury cars! lol. Again, go were the jobs are and cost of living is managable. That's certainly not here.
Good luck to all of you trying to move out!
Then you don't want to move to SC. Jobs are not plentiful at all. Same with NC. At this day in age, be lucky one has a job.

Old 10-01-2008, 01:05 PM

24 posts, read 97,328 times
I'm not basing my opinion of the state on one thread, I'm basing it on numerous similar threads, and more importantly, my own personal experience after having lived here for seven years.

Of course whether or not an individual likes a state or not is a subjective matter of personal preference, but no amount of optimism is going to gloss over the many objective problems with, if not the whole state, then the vast majority of, and certainly within its most populated areas, which by extension are where the majority of people live and work.

The state is completely overpopulated and traffic is quickly approaching the worst congestion in the country. There's been little to no investment in additional infrastructure and none coming besides the ICC, which will be far too little and far too late when and if it does arrive. Even the few more 'idyllic' regions of the state, like western Maryland and the Eastern Shore, are increasingly inaccessable because of increasing congestion on the main arteries to them; such as a four hour ride heading westward to Frederick on I-270 on a Saturday night due to sheer congestion. How long were people stuck in traffic on Route 50, people who were doing nothing more sinister than trying to enjoy their Labor Day weekend? Even simple things like vacationing in the few ideal areas the state has to offer are becoming increasingly difficult.

Jobs are concentrated in select areas, which in turn makes housing anywhere close to those areas utterly unaffordable. If you're not already independently wealthy before moving here, your options are a long and increasingly untenable commute from some rural enclave, or relegating yourself to crime-infested neighborhoods that boast some of the worst crime rates in the country, poor schools and non-existent city and local services while nonetheless paying exorbitant property taxes. I could go on, but I'd merely be repeating what's already been said in the now 20+ pages of this thread.

These aren't problems that are merely "just in my head", they're endemic and widely discussed not only on this message board, but in neighborhoods, in newspapers and on T.V. And what's been done to address them...anything, anything at all?

It was perhaps unfair of me to deride the natives of the state, and for that I do apologize. But, the way I see it, there are numerous objective problems with this state that completely outweight any subjective benefits I can personally see. Since my job *does* require me to stay here, I'm only all too eager for some glimmer of hope, some overlooked little ideal town or burg that I can eagerly call home, in which I can live and enjoy being a new Marylander. But after seven years of looking, it hasn't happened, and I have no reason to expect that it will.

Problem is, I'm hardly the only one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by *CountryGirl* View Post
So you are going to base an opinion of a state on one thread? Not every post in this thread consists of people putting down MD. Just a few disgruntled people who do not care for the area they happen to live in.

The point that is trying to be made is that you cannot judge the state as whole,by the opinions of a few, regarding certain areas.

I have lived in a few different areas of MD and have traveled to numerous others. Some I liked, some I didn't. It's a personal preference. There are some places I would consider living and there are also places, I may like to visit from time to time, but would not enjoy living there. There are also areas you couldn't pay me visit or reside.

Everyone has an opinion. But don't mistake facts for opinions.

If you do not like it here you are free to go. No one is forcing you to be here unless your job requires you to do so. If so, newcomers can benefit by the information given by native Marylanders. If you are not pleased with the area you are currently living, I am sure many on this board can give you suggestions if you simply post the type of area you would like to live in.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:12 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,771,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somnambulist View Post
Since my job *does* require me to stay here, I'm only all too eager for some glimmer of hope, some overlooked little ideal town or burg that I can eagerly call home, in which I can live and enjoy being a new Marylander. But after seven years of looking, it hasn't happened, and I have no reason to expect that it will.
Ever been to Frederick?

Old 10-01-2008, 07:47 PM

22 posts, read 130,309 times
Quote:
I'm not basing my opinion of the state on one thread, I'm basing it on numerous similar threads, and more importantly, my own personal experience after having lived here for seven years.

Of course whether or not an individual likes a state or not is a subjective matter of personal preference, but no amount of optimism is going to gloss over the many objective problems with, if not the whole state, then the vast majority of, and certainly within its most populated areas, which by extension are where the majority of people live and work.

The state is completely overpopulated and traffic is quickly approaching the worst congestion in the country. There's been little to no investment in additional infrastructure and none coming besides the ICC, which will be far too little and far too late when and if it does arrive.

Problem is, I'm hardly the only one...
They need to greatly expand Washington Metro and build a new purple line circling Washington DC similar to the Capital Beltway.

http://www.sierraclub.org/dc/sprawl/...ne-map-web.gif

Last edited by 7th generation; 10-02-2008 at 02:04 PM.. Reason: Image copy-right issue, so I supplied link.

Old 10-03-2008, 01:33 PM

24 posts, read 97,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Ever been to Frederick?
I certainly have. It's a wonderful city, and I'd love to go there more often if it didn't involve braving the utter nightmare that is traffic on I-270 on almost any given day, at almost any given time.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:13 PM

460 posts, read 1,877,535 times
Quote:
I certainly have. It's a wonderful city, and I'd love to go there more often if it didn't involve braving the utter nightmare that is traffic on I-270 on almost any given day, at almost any given time.
Lived there for 8 years. Great city, but unfortunately catching up to Montgomery County prices - since all the MoCos are moving farther and farther out. Now that I'm out of there, trying to buy a SFH closer to hubby's work, and contemplating a move out of state to get away from all this mess. . .this born and raised MoCo'er is beginning to think that Maryland just really sucks, and who would want to live here ANYWAY with everything so d*&m expensive?? But, as people have said before, you need to be lucky you even have a job in these times. A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. . ..

Old 10-05-2008, 07:02 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,428,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magyar4321869 View Post
Believe me, I had my bags packed and ready to go to Carolina. Then City-Data relayed gators in brackish waters, abundancy of black widows, and cockroaches big enough to put saddles on. I quietly unpacked and put my Shih Tzu's doggie bed away.
Just an FYI - we moved to NC in April. Moved here from RI, lived in MD for 7 years before that. There are NO gators in NC!! There ARE black widows but I have NEVER seen one! Lastly, have yet to see my first cockroach either! It is wonderful down here, fantastic quality of life, so much less hectic, low cost of real estate. I'd recommend that you come on down! Your Shih-Tzu and my Shih-Tzu can have a play date!!

Old 10-05-2008, 09:52 AM

3,953 posts, read 5,093,900 times
Default The truth about Raleigh, NC

Same here, I moved to North Carolina about 4 years ago and I absolutely love it.

My mother-in-law, who used to work at the Census Bureau in Suitland, MD moved down shortly after my wife and I did and she loves it here too. One of the big benefits for her is that she doesn’t have to pay state taxes on her government pension.

The job situation around Raleigh has tightened up so I wouldn’t move here if you still have to work, but with all the medical facilities in the area it’s literally become a retirement paradise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland