Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2008, 05:48 PM

1,038 posts, read 3,997,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mareen9 View Post
I read what some people have said about Cape Cod and I am very curious to what Cape Cod has to offer. My boyfriend is in the Coast Guards and could possible be stationed at the air station base in the cape. So we have started researching the area. We are a young couple (25) that love the outdoors, and we are definitely high energy people. Love going for hikes, bike rides, and basically like doing anything that involves the outdoors. I currently work as a Speech Pathologist in a private school, and we are curious to know if I could find work there, and if it is a place we should really consider moving to. We are both from New Jersey, however, he is currently in Alaska for the Coast Guards and we think he will be leaving in the summer time. I was just wondering if anyone had some valuable information for us! Anything will be of great help, thank you!
Maureen
Maureen,
Sounds like you may like the Cape. Your primary "access" from ASCC will be via Sandwich or Bourne. Both convenient to the Canal. Wonderful for biking, blading, jogging, walking, or just enjoying the sights. Lots of hiking paths, etc. Convenient to other towns with more options. I think you'll find a lot of variety in areas you can explore on foot or wheels.
I've seen several job postings on Monster for Speech Pathology, both in local schools and Falmouth and Cape Cod Hospitals (capecodhealthcaredotcom). Monster has a specific search agent for the Cape and Islands. Set yourself up with a search and you'll get daily emails. Also check capecodonlinedotcom. That's the Cape Cod Times' website and they post their classifieds there.
Good luck! And let me know if you have any more questions.
Cathy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 07:10 AM

7 posts, read 51,654 times
Thank you so much for writing back Cathy, I appreciate it greatly. I am going to check out the websites you have suggested. Thank you again!

Maureen

Old 03-03-2008, 03:24 PM

6 posts, read 42,073 times
Well, after reading this forum for almost 2 years...we are finally moving from NY! and we can't wait...See you soon Cape Cod!

Old 03-04-2008, 10:37 AM

Let me know when you get here! Welcome!

Old 03-14-2008, 02:43 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,628,948 times
Hi Mareen9,

I'm 29 and lived on the Cape (Bourne) for 8 years. I actually just left there in September. I fell in love with the Cape when I first got there because it is just a beautiful place. I was always more interested in the Lower and Outer Cape because to me that "True Cape Cod". I will admit that the Cape is not the best place to live if you're a single, young professional but since you're involved and your boyfriend is in the services and you're in the Healthcare industry it is probably a great move for you and there should be plenty of opportunities. As far as biking goes, the Cape Cod Canal is a great place to do this. The Cape side of the canal is much less congested whereas the Buzzards Bay side is usually full of people in the summertime. The Cape has great restaurants, beaches, and is great to just get in the car and drive around. My advice is go to some of the Cape Cod Young Professional's get together's to meet young professional's on the Cape. If you google it the website will pop up. I found the Cape to not be a good place to live if you're a single, educated, white collared person because most of the people on the Cape our age are townies, blue collared, and uneducated, and there idea of having a good time is getting wasted. However, there are a good number of people in the Cape Cod Young Professional's organization who are educated and are white collar but are more interested in networking for business purposes than making new friends.

Old 03-14-2008, 06:02 PM

8 posts, read 59,489 times
I think some of the posters are giving the cape a bad rap. I grew up on the cape, lived in boston when I graduated college and then moved back to the Cape when I got married (14 years ago). I currently live in Osterville and love it. My kids attend the public school system and I have been more than happy with their experience so far. The town of Barnstable has a great recreation department offering plenty of activities for everyone. As far as the traffic goes, you learn the back roads. Aside from the beautiful beaches, there are many museums, theatres and some of the most scenic roads to enjoy a drive. It all depends on what your interests are, but there are clubs for many different interest ...women's paddleball, tennis, book etc. You just have to research it all.

Old 03-17-2008, 02:47 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,628,948 times
I love Osterville!! The Five Bays Bistro is a great place. Osterville would definitely be a place I would like to own a second home or retire to if I were to retire back in New England. The Lower and Outer Cape are great too. Any place will get a bad rap by many of the locals and visitors alike. I love Cape Cod but I wouldn't want to live there as a single, young professional. There aren't enough jobs or like minded people to be honest with you. If however, you have a family and can find a decent enough job it's a great place to live.

Old 03-24-2008, 12:56 PM

1 posts, read 5,638 times
our young family moved from boston to the cape 25 years ago, i grew up on the cape, moved back after living in boston for 10 years, i loved living in boston, and i love living here. my kids are now raising there young familys here and they also love it. year rounders have a very seperate life, i hardly know its a tourist place, we know where to go all the back roads and all the "townies" i can't think of a better place to live. we have a million friends we are now in our 50's and made friends when we moved here and continue to do so. just the other day one of my children said. "i wonder what would have happened if we stayed in boston. i;m glad we didn't have to find out. we live at the OCEAN!!!! imagine, people from all over the world want to come here! and here we are!!

Old 03-25-2008, 11:07 AM

Hear, hear, Debp! That's how I feel and what I say all the time. People travel hours and days from all over just for two days and I get to enjoy this all year. Residents learn the back roads and when not to venture out. Still, I enjoy meeting the visitors and seeing them appreciate "my" Cape Cod!

Old 03-25-2008, 12:18 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,657,162 times
Here is a timely article about the Cape:

Cape Pays A Price -- Employees, Florida -- Courant.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts