Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 11:18 AM

530 posts, read 1,340,911 times

Advertisements

My son lives in Framingham and I will need to move into an apartment within the next year or two, as I cannot physically maintain my home in Vermont any longer. Assuming he doesn't stray too far from the Boston suburbs in his career, I am thinking that moving closer to him would be nicer than moving further north in Vermont, which I have been considering. I grew up on Long Island and miss the ocean very much, so I do believe I would rather be closer to the water than western Mass (though people tell me Stockbridge is affordable and nice). I live on a small Social Security check and so can only afford around $800 a month for a small one-bedroom. I would love to hear if anyone has any suggestions as to towns that are affordable and not much more than a two hour drive from Boston. I would like a walk able downtown and good medical facilities not too far away. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 12:21 PM

12 posts, read 46,492 times
Take a look at Hull. Very affordable, great senior center, and a beach community. The town has taken some great steps forward in the last few years with alot of retiries from Hingham and Cohasset buying up beach property and fixing them up.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:25 PM

18,728 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Maybe Quincy, with easy access to Boston and the Pike, good public transport, walkable areas. I think Hull might be a bit off the beaten path for getting outta town?

Old 05-30-2012, 01:33 PM

I don't mind being off the beaten path, I am mostly concerned with affordability and quality of life. I'm only 2 1/2 hours away from my son now, but am questioning the wisdom of going two hours further north as opposed to getting closer to him. I was in Quincy years ago, but never Hull. I am taking a trip to the Cape this summer and figured it would be a good time to sight-see.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:19 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,917,593 times
Honestly, you're going to have difficulty finding an apartment in the Boston metro area on your budget. Keeping that in mind, when I think of moderate housing costs by the standards of this area, walkable downtown, and close to Framingham, I think first of Waltham. One question would be how you and your son would plan on traveling to visit each other. I ask because Waltham and Framingham are on different transit lines, and getting between the two towns by public transit would be quite an involved and long trip. Other than that, I'd say check out Waltham. Stick to the vicinity of downtown for the "walkable" feature. Most of the rest of Waltham is typical suburbia.

I'm not familiar enough with most towns west of Framingham to recommend any in particular, but if you can find a town fairly close to Framingham but outside the I-495 belt and with the right kind of downtown, that's a good area to check out. The reason is that typical housing costs begin to drop some roughly around the point where you get outside of 495.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Honestly, you're going to have difficulty finding an apartment in the Boston metro area on your budget. Keeping that in mind, when I think of moderate housing costs by the standards of this area, walkable downtown, and close to Framingham, I think first of Waltham. One question would be how you and your son would plan on traveling to visit each other. I ask because Waltham and Framingham are on different transit lines, and getting between the two towns by public transit would be quite an involved and long trip. Other than that, I'd say check out Waltham. Stick to the vicinity of downtown for the "walkable" feature. Most of the rest of Waltham is typical suburbia.

I'm not familiar enough with most towns west of Framingham to recommend any in particular, but if you can find a town fairly close to Framingham but outside the I-495 belt and with the right kind of downtown, that's a good area to check out. The reason is that typical housing costs begin to drop some roughly around the point where you get outside of 495.
Yeah I have been looking at typical rents and they are way out of my budget. Last year my son moved to Waltham and I helped him find a place near Moody St. that was $1250 a month and no great place, just adequate. He is moving in with his girlfriend in Framingham, and so who knows where he might wind up.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:39 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,267,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmchiba View Post
Take a look at Hull. Very affordable, great senior center, and a beach community. The town has taken some great steps forward in the last few years with alot of retiries from Hingham and Cohasset buying up beach property and fixing them up.
I saw your post about Hull, Hingham and Cohasset and have to tell you, I was born in South Weymouth but lived in Hingham with my family for a time, also lived in a place called Crow Point ever hear of that? Gosh, I haven't been back to Hingham area for perhaps 35 years now and hear it has changed a great deal. I have fond memories of the beach areas in and around Hull. Glad to hear that the Seniors are buying up the properties and fixing things up!

Old 05-31-2012, 07:08 AM

940 posts, read 1,936,661 times
How about affordable apartments for low-income and over 55? You can find some in almost every town.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by konfetka View Post
How about affordable apartments for low-income and over 55? You can find some in almost every town.
That is what I was looking at here in Vermont. They are very nice, but only a few will allow me to keep my dog. I haven't been able to find any yet in Mass, but I will keep looking.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:02 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,917,593 times
Default Anothe suggstion, plus one maybe

The other town that comes to mind when I think about the criteria that led me to suggest Waltham is Maynard. As with Waltham, this would depend on the need for public transit, as the only service is the commuter rail station in neighboring S. Acton. As long as the limited public transit service isn't an issue, Maynard is a town to check out, as it is another town with moderate housing costs by area standards and a downtown with a variety of stores you can walk to.

The maybe is Hudson. No public transit, but if that's not an issue, it's another town with relatively moderate housing prices. The reason I call this one a "maybe" is that I don't know Hudson very well, and have no idea how walkable the town is or what it has for a downtown area. If those features turn out to be a good fit for you, Hudson could be worth a look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts