Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 11:04 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,985,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bears0909 View Post
Hi. Thanks for getting back to me. For the time being it will be 2 people off of $30,000 (We only have 1 car). It will probably be that way until I can get a $50,000+ job to afford another car. The South Coast area seems to be pretty spread out so I doubt there will be anywhere for my GF to work at where she can walk, drive. Not to mention we will probably be stuck living in a dangerous area where I wouldn't want her walking to work. If she happens to find a job in the same exact area as me for the same hours then we might both be able to have jobs as we can drive together for work. But for the time being, it will just be $30,000 for me unfortunately. I am currently in the process of looking for higher paid positions (this one is just temporary) and also starting several of my own businesses in which she is putting in the time while I am working.
If it were me (and I did live in Boston many years ago), I would rent a studio apt or do a house share in a better safe area rather than rent a single apartment in a more unsafe area - especially if your job is as you say temporary. You probably know that in a regular apartment of your own you will have to pay first month, last month, AND a month's security deposit (the last one you get back if there is "found" to be no damage on your vacate). With a cost that high, and a temp job, go for the cheapest share you can find in the best area. In a house share, you may not have to come up with those extra months of rent on entry. You could also find a permanent job out further from Boston, so be sure not to sign on for a year lease. You cannot get out of that lease, it is legally binding, and you are liable for payments for the full year even after you move out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 12:39 PM

58 posts, read 242,396 times
Does anyone have any other good sites other than Craigs List. I just viewed an apartment Friday night and its already rented out. I told the lady that I wanted the apartment and she told me I could come in Monday to sign the lease. She said she wasn't get any commitment on the place and today when I call she says that it is gone. This is so frustrating!

Old 11-11-2012, 12:56 PM

58 posts, read 242,396 times
Found a great apartment on Ballard Street - thanks everyone for their help. It's in a nice quiet location and I got a great deal! Now the problem is my job - the guy I was supposed to be working for flaked out on me after moving all the way out here!!! He is avoiding all my phone calls and I haven't even started working for him yet! He answered my call once basically telling me I should start looking for other jobs. Does anyone know of any jobs I can get quick in the area? either Fall River or surrounding areas to Providence or Boston? I am willing to take anything. I have a Master's degree and no one is contacting me back from Indeed or Craigs List.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:14 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,198,196 times
Are you looking in all sections of the Jobs craigslist? Or are you targeting specific types of work? What about tutoring work? And this time of year, look for seasonal work also. Many retail establishments are starting to hire for the holiday season.

One year, my dad worked for UPS during the holidays doing the graveyard sorting shift. So see if UPS or Fedex is hiring for the holiday season also.

If you are outgoing and good with people, check out jobs as a brand ambassador and do in-store tastings and demos at grocery stores and places like Costco.

You have to be very openminded and evaluate all your possible job skills.

Is your apartment on a bus line? Maybe your gf could get some full or part time retail work in your area. Or be a waitress. Just because the two of you don't each have a car, doesn't mean that only one of you can work. Or find jobs at different times where the two of you can share the car. And maybe, she'll find a full time job before you, but she ought to be looking for work right away, instead of waiting for a second car to happen.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:52 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,198,196 times
If you search Boston craigslist job for "Thanksgiving", a ton of seasonal job offerings come up. There's even a tutoring job that pays $35 an hour for certain subjects. And Kelly temps is hiring for seasonal Fedex delivery work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts