Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 04:13 AM

58 posts, read 242,315 times

Advertisements

Hi

I have been unemployed for nearly 4 months (laid off from a teaching job). I have been unable to find employment after sending out over 500 applications in various fields. I have even attended an out of state interview, which I did not get. This also wiped out the rest of my money and I am living with friends that are anxious to get me out of there house. I have been offered a job out of state. The problem is that it is a construction job which only pays $30,000. I know that the cost of living in this area is extremely high.

Are there any areas within an hour of the Wareham, MA area that I will be able to find an apartment for 500-600? This is the absolute highest I can afford with the salary that I would be making (especially with student loans and credit cards). I am so stuck right now because I will have to borrow a large sum of money to make the move, but how can I pass up a job when I am unemployed? And like I said I am about to get kicked out and have to live in my car. Do you think I could afford rent in a safe area or am I wasting money making the move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 07:50 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,347,968 times
You won't be able to rent an apartment with that amount, but it should be enough to rent a room someplace, maybe even cover most/all of your utilities. Of course, finding a room rental presents it's own problems since you're coming in from out of state. I will say that it's not impossible to live in the Boston area on $30k/year; I lived in Boston most of my life and never made that much. It won't be easy or fun and your debt will make it much harder, but once you're able to secure inexpensive housing, the rest will be easier to sort out. Plus, once you've got a schedule going, you could look for further employment to add to your income.

Old 10-13-2012, 01:40 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,789,448 times
I wouldn't consider the Wareham area part of the Boston metro area, it is more the New Bedford area which is more affordable.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:01 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,478,444 times
That construction job must be outside Boston. You can sweep the floor in BOS for $15 an hour. I'd pass on that offer. You can do much better than that in BOS.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:15 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,973,982 times
Assuming the job is in Wareham and you have some desire to move to Massachusetts I would take it. Take a look at Wareham on a map and be aware it is a sleepy little town. You can probably find an apartment share in the area for your budget. Check out craigslist on the rooms/shared section. Based on what you've said it seems like you may be out of options. It also looks like you are in Nevada where the economy has tanked. I'd move here, look for another part-time job. The holidays are just around the corner and UPS and Fedex both typically hire seasonal people at decent rates, among other companies. While teaching jobs are not easy to get here, you probably have a better chance than you do in Nevada, assuming you can get your certifications in order.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:46 PM

594 posts, read 1,634,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
That construction job must be outside Boston. You can sweep the floor in BOS for $15 an hour. I'd pass on that offer. You can do much better than that in BOS.
Where is this place you can sweep the floor for $15/hr? I have 2 degrees and 10 years experience and don't make that...

Old 10-16-2012, 05:19 AM

422 posts, read 1,475,953 times
If your job is in wareham....try looking for rentals in wareham...u prob can get a room for your budget and it shouldn't be too hard cos rents aint high in wareham

Old 10-16-2012, 05:28 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,267,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bears0909 View Post
Hi

I have been unemployed for nearly 4 months (laid off from a teaching job). I have been unable to find employment after sending out over 500 applications in various fields. I have even attended an out of state interview, which I did not get. This also wiped out the rest of my money and I am living with friends that are anxious to get me out of there house. I have been offered a job out of state. The problem is that it is a construction job which only pays $30,000. I know that the cost of living in this area is extremely high.
Are there any areas within an hour of the Wareham, MA area that I will be able to find an apartment for 500-600? This is the absolute highest I can afford with the salary that I would be making (especially with student loans and credit cards). I am so stuck right now because I will have to borrow a large sum of money to make the move, but how can I pass up a job when I am unemployed? And like I said I am about to get kicked out and have to live in my car. Do you think I could afford rent in a safe area or am I wasting money making the move?
I don't know much about the Mass. area but felt so bad after reading your post, I had to write back. From what I have heard, Mass. is very expensive to live in. My son was in college at Wentworth for a time and was checking out that area to live in once he graduated. He ended up moving back home to Connecticut as rents at that time were cheaper.

If you are planning to stay in the Wareham area, I would seek some assistance from perhaps a Realtor or go online to a Realtor and look for a rent that way. This way you could not only find a price for renting, but you would also be able to see distances from your pending job.

I can't believe that you are only going to make 30K for a construction job! Wow...they certainly do expect people to live on nothing, huh?

Suggestion: Find a rent that is perhaps just a 3 room apt or an efficiency apt. They are cheaper I do believe. Work for a time at the construction job then if you have the credentials to teach, keep trying to find a job in that field. Have you considered moving to Connecticut or even further South? Good luck with all this and I hope you find something soon.

Old 10-16-2012, 04:23 PM

5 posts, read 15,421 times
It's possible, but it won't be easy. You'll be looking at getting a 2nd job if you like to eat things other than peanut butter and canned tuna.

It can be done, check craigslist: south coast all housing classifieds - craigslist

I'd google maps and get a street view of any place in Fall River/New Bedford/Brockton that you're looking at though, there are seedy areas of these towns.

If it were me i'd strongly consider it (given your current situation), but make it a point to talk to as many people as i could to try to improve my situation. I'd only live in those 3 towns if i HAD to, but they're also some of the only places that are likely to have large amounts of apartment housing.

30K sounds rough for a construction gig, your best bet would be to take it as seriously as possible, learn skills, and get a better gig/find a smaller crew of guys/go out on your own/look for jobs in your field while working.

Best of luck to you man.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:05 PM

1,018 posts, read 3,381,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
I would also sweep floors for 15 an hour, and i have a 4 yr degree. where can i sign up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts