Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 10:11 AM

11 posts, read 49,868 times

Advertisements

I make 36,000 a year and live in Cambridge. I live with 2 of my friends and I pay $733 a month in rent. If you do it right, it should be no problem for you. I'm 26 BTW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 10:14 AM

11 posts, read 49,868 times
O ya, and Wareham is not even close to Boston. It's basically Cape Cod.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:43 AM

392 posts, read 923,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bears0909 View Post
Sorry about that - it's actually me and my girlfriend. I just like to change some of the fact so if any of my friends or family ever visit this site they don't know it's me.
I understand your desire to stay anonymous, and it's easy to do if you leave out small details. There are so many people moving to Boston from all over the US and even other countries, it's easy to blend in.

That said, it makes a huge difference, if its one person or 2 living off 30K. Will that be your combined income? Or are you the only one who secured a job with this kind of pay and she is planning to work someplace else at least part time?
Nothing is impossible if you play your cards right, but we need to know which cards you have, to advise on your best move...
Even though you are a couple, I would suggest looking for a rental with roommates, it may help you save a lot of money, at least this first year, and you can find a different rental situation next year.

Best of luck with your decisions.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:27 AM

58 posts, read 242,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikaram View Post
I understand your desire to stay anonymous, and it's easy to do if you leave out small details. There are so many people moving to Boston from all over the US and even other countries, it's easy to blend in.

That said, it makes a huge difference, if its one person or 2 living off 30K. Will that be your combined income? Or are you the only one who secured a job with this kind of pay and she is planning to work someplace else at least part time?
Nothing is impossible if you play your cards right, but we need to know which cards you have, to advise on your best move...
Even though you are a couple, I would suggest looking for a rental with roommates, it may help you save a lot of money, at least this first year, and you can find a different rental situation next year.

Best of luck with your decisions.
Hi. Thanks for getting back to me. For the time being it will be 2 people off of $30,000 (We only have 1 car). It will probably be that way until I can get a $50,000+ job to afford another car. The South Coast area seems to be pretty spread out so I doubt there will be anywhere for my GF to work at where she can walk, drive. Not to mention we will probably be stuck living in a dangerous area where I wouldn't want her walking to work. If she happens to find a job in the same exact area as me for the same hours then we might both be able to have jobs as we can drive together for work. But for the time being, it will just be $30,000 for me unfortunately. I am currently in the process of looking for higher paid positions (this one is just temporary) and also starting several of my own businesses in which she is putting in the time while I am working.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:23 PM

9,546 posts, read 16,597,207 times
Mass is very expensive to live whether in Boston or Eastern Mass its suburbs and exurbs. I'm from Bristol country which is where Fall River and New Bedford are also located. The cities and towns that are close to or border Rhode Island. It's an area that is cheaper than much of Eastern New England, however it has always been expensive also and is worse now.

Fall River and New Bedford. I don't know for someone coming from a different region of the country. I think these areas would be hard to adjust to. Rentals are usually in someone's home. $500 I would be skeptical of where it was. Many times you are also responsible for your own oil heat or the utilities. You really have to be cautious if your heat comes with the rent. There are some wonderful people in the area, but you don't want a landlord controlling your heat. You won't know how that will work out until its winter and your stuck. You can't just move around all the time. Renting in Mass generally means First and Last and security deposit. Its expensive to move into an old apt so you won't be able to afford moving around. Also look in the Attleboro and No Attleboro area. They are pretty good places to live and good proximity to both Boston and Providence. Hwys and commuter rail trains stop right there. Though I think you will find rentals high. I have seen one rooms going for $225 a week. One bedrooms easily for $800 in an area you would feel safe with and have parking. Remember you will have to deal with the added cost of heat and utilities to add to the rent.

$30,000 you can do it, but you will find your options are very limited. When your not sharing rent and your covering your living expensive on your own. Then it can be very hard. Many people seem to live with parents in Mass long after most people move out. So keep that in mind there is a reason for that. They can't afford a place on their own. You will pay your rent but there isn't alot left when you have a vehicle and that expense, The food, going out on the town. I'm telling you it is an expensive area and that high cost, will have a noticeable impact on your life.

So good luck with your decision. New England is a wonderful place to live. I think one of the better areas if one can afford it.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:43 PM

643 posts, read 1,041,872 times
I don't have any specific info for you but I can offer a story. To save money, my partner and I lived in someone's refinished basement (shared a kitchen with the rest of the family). It isn't for everyone but it can let you save a lot of money if you can't find your own apartment and we liked being part of a neighborhood (that we couldn't afford to live in otherwise).

Old 10-27-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Mass is very expensive to live whether in Boston or Eastern Mass its suburbs and exurbs. I'm from Bristol country which is where Fall River and New Bedford are also located. The cities and towns that are close to or border Rhode Island. It's an area that is cheaper than much of Eastern New England, however it has always been expensive also and is worse now.

Fall River and New Bedford. I don't know for someone coming from a different region of the country. I think these areas would be hard to adjust to. Rentals are usually in someone's home. $500 I would be skeptical of where it was. Many times you are also responsible for your own oil heat or the utilities. You really have to be cautious if your heat comes with the rent. There are some wonderful people in the area, but you don't want a landlord controlling your heat. You won't know how that will work out until its winter and your stuck. You can't just move around all the time. Renting in Mass generally means First and Last and security deposit. Its expensive to move into an old apt so you won't be able to afford moving around. Also look in the Attleboro and No Attleboro area. They are pretty good places to live and good proximity to both Boston and Providence. Hwys and commuter rail trains stop right there. Though I think you will find rentals high. I have seen one rooms going for $225 a week. One bedrooms easily for $800 in an area you would feel safe with and have parking. Remember you will have to deal with the added cost of heat and utilities to add to the rent.

$30,000 you can do it, but you will find your options are very limited. When your not sharing rent and your covering your living expensive on your own. Then it can be very hard. Many people seem to live with parents in Mass long after most people move out. So keep that in mind there is a reason for that. They can't afford a place on their own. You will pay your rent but there isn't alot left when you have a vehicle and that expense, The food, going out on the town. I'm telling you it is an expensive area and that high cost, will have a noticeable impact on your life.

So good luck with your decision. New England is a wonderful place to live. I think one of the better areas if one can afford it.
I agree with you on all this. It is a very different area of the country. I am used to renting out apartment complexes that comes with pools, laundry rooms, workout rooms, etc. and a bunch of other amenities. It seems weird to me to be renting out a room in an old house. I guess I knew what to expect because I have family in the area. I have been visiting up here for the past 10 years (family members in the area).

While it definitely would not be my top choice, I do like the city of Boston and Providence just not as much as other cities I have really liked. I am hoping that the $30,000 is very temporary. I have been looking around for hours each day so we'll see what happens. Believe me I have done enough moving the past 6 years I would rather not move again but I also don't want to get some dumpy rental and be stuck in a year long contract. You said not to get a place that includes heat - why is this? I thought because of the high price of utilities that this would be an advantage?

Does anyone know if a rental near the St. Anne's area is okay? I am working with a real estate company and most of the rentals they sent me were in that area. I drove around yesterday and viewed one of the apartments and I wasn't really impressed the area, not sure if it was safe either....Also, how is High @ Pine? Osborn St? I looked at apartments near 200 High St and 600 Osborn?

Old 10-27-2012, 08:29 AM

13,018 posts, read 22,203,750 times
The area around St. Anne's is one I would personally avoid. It's not the worst area in the city, but it's not very nice and there are some tough spots. The Osborn St. Apartment is in that area and I would probably pass unless it's an incredible deal. That's not a neighborhood I'd be comfortable with, especially given that it's not just you anymore.

The Pine at High street area is definitely OK. Much better than Osborn (and even better than Bank St). You're really starting to get into the lower Highlands there which is a safe neighborhood full of people who really care about their area/city. That's an area where I wouldn't feel uncomfortable walking at night or parking in the street.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
The area around St. Anne's is one I would personally avoid. It's not the worst area in the city, but it's not very nice and there are some tough spots. The Osborn St. Apartment is in that area and I would probably pass unless it's an incredible deal. That's not a neighborhood I'd be comfortable with, especially given that it's not just you anymore.

The Pine at High street area is definitely OK. Much better than Osborn (and even better than Bank St). You're really starting to get into the lower Highlands there which is a safe neighborhood full of people who really care about their area/city. That's an area where I wouldn't feel uncomfortable walking at night or parking in the street.
Thanks you don't know how much I appreciate your help! The Pine at High was probably our favorite one so that is great news that the area is safe. I have family here but they don't go out much and don't have much to say about which areas are safe.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:32 AM

13,018 posts, read 22,203,750 times
^Not a problem. I grew up in that area and my family and most of my friends still live there, so I'm always on the South Coast.

Honestly, Fall River isn't that bad. It's not a pretty place, but it's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be (in terms of crime, anyway). Almost any medium/large city outside of the Northeast is more dangerous. Even cities with good reputations like Boston and Providence have higher rates of violent crime. The worst things, in my opinion, about Fall River (and New Bedford) are the low educational attainment levels and the relative insularity. The public high school's graduation rate is barely over 50%. It's terrible. It's also part of the reason unemployment is so high (Fall River has the second highest in the state). When textile manufacturing businesses left, the city was left with a workforce that essentially had one skill set and no education. Unless textile manufacturing makes a huge comeback, Fall River will remain a black hole for employers. Same goes for New Bedford with the exception that New Bedford has an active seaport which keeps it relevant. The other thing you'll notice without a doubt is the relative insularity. For a city of close to 100,000 people, Fall River feels like a small town politically and socially. People refer to it as "the city" (even though bigger cities like Boston, Providence, New Bedford and Brockton are all within an hour's drive) and many seem to have never left. Most people you meet will be life-long Fall River residents and as a result they have a "unique" perspective on the outside world. I think that's the toughest thing for an outsider to adjust to.

Still, the city is not without some positives. Try to find coastal living anywhere else on the Eastern seaboard as cheap as the South Coast. It's difficult to do. Just outside of Fall River and New Bedford, Westport, Dartmouth Fairhaven, and Mattapoisett MA are all beautiful Just across the state line, Little Compton, Bristol, Portsmouth and Tiverton are all very attractive as well. Fall River has some great affordable restaurants (it's been highlighted on Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations), especially if you like ethnic food (Portuguese in particular). Hopefully it's just a temporary solution for you. Regardless, when you have a day off, drive outside of the city and see some of the area. It's really not bad.

Also, look at Meditech for work for your GF (and potentially you). They have a big office in the city and seem to always be hiring. They hire a lot of recent college grads (but a degree isn't required for most positions) and pay relatively well. They do also have offices in other towns, but Fall River would be doable for your girlfriend without a car (she could take the bus or bike... you could even drop her off). Starwood has a call center in Fall River too that's always hiring. The money is bad ($8.50ish/hour plus performance based incentives), but it's easy work and they do have benefits. Their call center is at President Avenue at Elsbree Street. Not far from the Pine street place. They do have "At Home" employees so your GF may be able to find work where she doesn't need to commute at all. In fact, I just checked their job website and they are looking for at-home reservations associates in Fall River. Worth looking into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts