Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2013, 06:29 PM

42 posts, read 110,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
New rankings?

So...it was a really worthwhile trip.

The best part is that there is not one town that we visited where our sunniness wasn't reciprocated! From restaurants to parks, I struck up conversations with people everywhere. My husband often says I can strike up a conversation with a brick wall, but Bostonians were much more receptive than brick walls! We met pleasant people and saw some great houses. I would feel comfortable buying a home in pretty much any place we visited: D-S, Sudbury, Walpole, Sharon, Concord, Lexington, Natick, Medfield, Needham, and all those little towns in between. Each of those areas had its own charm and advantages in our opinion. Oh, and having lived in areas with much worst commutes (NYC, West Coast, Chicago), those commutes were a piece of cake.

Gotta say, I fell in LOVE with Concord. Its adorable. Saw a gorgeous house there, too. But I don't think that we'll find the right kind of house (at least in our budget) for what we need. The way I described it to my realtor was that we're often called on to host corporate events and entertain at our home and we'd like something a little more "stately" than "homely" (or at least with more glamorous areas), but it still has to be comfortable enough in the other areas for our kids to not have to be uptight all the time. Concord was great, but the homes were more familial than stately. Dover was nice too but our $ won't go as far. The Dover houses in our budget aren't really "stately" there either, or even "homely", they're just kind of "simple". Sherborn was nice, the sheer size of the lots makes it impressive, but not much in our $ range is even on the market there. Loved the neighborhood and house we saw in Walpole very much. Needham homes were a bit older than our tastes. Medfield had a great feel. Only drove through Lexington, would love to see more of it. Sharon was very nice, the look of the neighborhoods totally fits us, but there's not enough favorable options on the market right now that meet our tastes. Still trying to get a feel for Sudbury, but the homes we've seen there are freakin' awesome!

So now the issue will be where can we afford a home that meets our picky standards and that is priced to sell? We're considering going a little bigger on our current budget for the "right house". It's doable for us, we just prefer to be frugal. We've come across more than one nice home whose price is indefensible, but seller is holding firm. I guess because the market was so hot earlier in the summer, they have high hopes, but honestly some are just not in line with reality. So...we're still looking all over, but now with a little less apprehension that we have to avoid a particular town, with the obvious exceptions of course.

495neighbor, have you decided on Milton?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 10:43 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,649,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyHoney View Post
495neighbor, have you decided on Milton?
Milton, I think it is a maybe town for me. I am leaning towards a more central location like Natick because I have to travel many places. Adams Village is vibrant, friendly and fun, but feels contained within itself and not a town center for all of Milton.

When you mentioned stately yet comfy homes, the first town that came to mind was actually Milton. Also, Canton, Sharon, Medfield, Newton, Lexington, Needham, Dedham on the Needham side, Wellesley.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:44 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,033,805 times
Quote:
The best part is that there is not one town that we visited where our sunniness wasn't reciprocated!
I've always felt Boston's reputation for being filled with gruff people was unwarranted. Of course, you're going to think people are less friendly downtown where people are more likely to be in a rush and therefore less likely to engage in chit-chat. In the burbs, life is a little slower and people tend to be more friendly.

Quote:
I would feel comfortable buying a home in pretty much any place we visited: D-S, Sudbury, Walpole, Sharon, Concord, Lexington, Natick, Medfield, Needham, and all those little towns in between.
These are all lovely towns with a lot of appeal. I'm not surprised.

Quote:
Needham homes were a bit older than our tastes.
I'm absolutely dumb founded that you would say this. In your price range, a brand new house should be well within your reach if you're willing to compromise on your lot size a bit. However, to get a grand/stately newer home you're looking more in the $2M+ price range in towns like Needham and Lexington. In Newton & Wellesley, the starting price for such a home would be even higher.

Quote:
Still trying to get a feel for Sudbury, but the homes we've seen there are freakin' awesome!
In terms of what you're looking for, I really think the homes in your price range in Sudbury are the best fit. The commute and levels of shopping/restaurants in town is probably a bit of a compromise for you though.

If you have any concerns about re-sale though, some towns on your list have more of a "high end" market than others as we've talked about before in this thread.

Old 08-24-2013, 05:42 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,919,305 times
Quote:
Needham homes were a bit older than our tastes.
It has occurred to me that one challenge you're likely to face has to do with your preference for newer houses. It may be tough in this area to find a wide selection of newer houses that are truly nice rather than being McMansions, but are not the budget-busting custom-designed mansions in some of the especially affluent suburbs, which can run into the millions in price.

Still can't rep MikePru, but it's good he's here giving you suggestions based on inside knowledge of what's available in each town. Definitely a plus to have that kind of expertise on your side when you're balancing a number of preferred features.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:14 PM

42 posts, read 110,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Still can't rep MikePru, but it's good he's here giving you suggestions based on inside knowledge of what's available in each town. Definitely a plus to have that kind of expertise on your side when you're balancing a number of preferred features.
Yup! MikePRU has been a real gem!!

Old 08-24-2013, 08:39 PM

133 posts, read 261,670 times
Concord definitely has showy homes, but I think the price tag can be pretty high. I've been to several parties here (846 Sudbury Road, Concord MA - Trulia). These two are more affordable (40 Macmillan Drive, Concord MA - Trulia and 221 Nashawtuc Road, Concord MA - Trulia, which is in a great neighborhood). This may be the best under $1.5 MM (221 Nashawtuc Road, Concord MA - Trulia).

Sudbury is likely to have showy homes at lower prices.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:01 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,033,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
In terms of what you're looking for, I really think the homes in your price range in Sudbury are the best fit. The commute and levels of shopping/restaurants in town is probably a bit of a compromise for you though.
Weird that I'm quoting myself anyway . . . my mind was wandering earlier today and I started thinking about this thread. I also think that Westwood is a pretty close fit as well. The big compromise in Westwood would be the lack of shopping/restaurants but a big plus over Sudbury would be it's proximity to Dedham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Quote:
Yup! MikePRU has been a real gem!!
Thanks. You guys are too kind.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackshaw View Post
Concord definitely has showy homes, but I think the price tag can be pretty high. I've been to several parties here (846 Sudbury Road, Concord MA - Trulia). These two are more affordable (40 Macmillan Drive, Concord MA - Trulia and 221 Nashawtuc Road, Concord MA - Trulia, which is in a great neighborhood). This may be the best under $1.5 MM (221 Nashawtuc Road, Concord MA - Trulia).

Sudbury is likely to have showy homes at lower prices.
Oops. I meant this (57 Riverside Avenue, Concord MA - Trulia) may be the best under $1.5 MM at the moment, but this might also work (593 Strawberry Hill Road, Concord MA - Trulia).

I think Sudbury has more McMansion-y style homes that are laid out well for entertainment. But there are a couple of areas in Concord (Caterina Heights and Mattison Drive (or Farm, can't remember)) that have those kinds of houses. I think Caterina Heights goes from $1 MM - $ 2 MM and Mattison from $1.5 MM to $2 MM, but you can research those. The same house, if transported from Concord to Sudbury, would be somewhat less expensive. I don't know if the differential is $100K or $300K. The real estate pros on here could probably tell you that.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:24 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,649,553 times
Strawberry Hill Road gets a lot of traffic at certain times including many road cyclists. I've never seen a child on a bicycle there. It is also poorly lit and a little rough to drive in the winter. Macmillan Drive and that surrounding neighborhood is very kid friendly. Nashawtuc Road is a more isolated area near many small private farms. Riverside Avenue, walking distance from West Concord, is the best location.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:46 PM

495neighbor, I agree that W. Concord is a great location. However, the OP was looking for showy houses that could be used for corporate entertaining. They are more likely to be found in the neighborhoods I mentioned.

Nashawtuc Road is actually right off Concord Center. It's an extension of Thoreau Street and is a ten minute walk to the best restaurant in town and the train station. It is 20 minutes walk from the main part of Concord Center. I doubt that the walk down to Main Street has sidewalks, though there will be almost no traffic. You can walk from Nashawtuc Road to Squaw Sachem Trail and the river. It is a beautiful area with beautiful houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts