Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2013, 07:24 PM

675 posts, read 1,701,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
When I was writing that post I originally had the lights described as "the ones that look like nipples" but I thought it best to describe them in another way.

I have them in my house too. I was actually the one who bought them and installed them. They're unbelievably cheap lights but for a hallway, a closet, or a laundry room . . . who really cares? They look OK, they work well, and in those areas I'm not going to break the bank for a light fixture. Plus, they look a million times better than the 1986 light fixtures that were there when I bought the house.
Yeah, they're not bad lights, it's just kind of funny that we have them in every single room and hallway, it becomes kind of a joke. Maybe they should be limited to two. I appreciate the backstory on the lights, though, it helps me with the architectural forensics of who did what when and why in updating the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyHoney View Post
WTH? Somebody, please post a picture. Lights that look like nipples? I'm having a hard time picturing that...not that I don't know what nipples look like, but...

edit: wait, does that sound creepy that I want to see a picture?
Haha - Sunny, it's this (or variations on it): Hampton Bay Oil-Rubbed Bronze 2-Light Flush Mount-FZP8012A/ORB at The Home Depot

I thought it was just me because I noticed it when I happened to look up at the ceiling while nursing, it's funny that someone else had the same reaction.

Sorry to distract so much from the original topic!

Speaking of the original topic, any updates or are you still looking & deciding? (When you do arrive in MA, just think of the people you will already know through C-D!)

Last edited by tribechamy; 08-28-2013 at 07:44 PM.. Reason: added content

Old 08-28-2013, 08:34 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,033,805 times
Quote:
WTH? Somebody, please post a picture. Lights that look like nipples? I'm having a hard time picturing that...not that I don't know what nipples look like, but...

edit: wait, does that sound creepy that I want to see a picture?
I literally laughed out loud at this post. My wife was sitting nearby and kept asking "what's so funny?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribechamy View Post
Yeah, they're not bad lights, it's just kind of funny that we have them in every single room and hallway, it becomes kind of a joke. Maybe they should be limited to two. I appreciate the backstory on the lights, though, it helps me with the architectural forensics of who did what when and why in updating the house.
It really comes down to the fact that they're CHEAP. It is funny that you can find them in virtually any house. They're also commonly used as bedroom light fixtures in non-master bedrooms. No one really finds them offensive in they come in a variety of finishes.

Quote:
Those are them. The ones in my house are brushed nickel though.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:22 AM

42 posts, read 110,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Sunny, is this the style of home you have in mind?

A newer construction home that looks well thought out and comfortable to live in:

3 Chadbourne Road, Lexington MA - Trulia

I'm picturing some fabulous entertaining happening there.
That house does look like it's great for entertaining! It's very nice, probably a little too contemporary for us, though.

Quote:
Oh, my! Yup, that's a breast alright. I don't think I've ever seen a fixture like that before, or maybe I have and just have overlooked its anatomical-likeness. We have mostly custom ceiling fans, chandeliers, and recessed lighting throughout our entire house, even spare bedrooms, so I just rushed into the laundry room to see if we had breast-lights there, but nope. There's definitely a cheap fixture in there but it's much less seductive!

Those things are fascinating, though! That design could not have been coincidental...and this is why men like to hang out at Home Depot, eh?

Quote:
Sorry to distract so much from the original topic!
No worries. This thread totally rocks! If someone's just joining and doesn't read the first 10 pages, they're going to think the "kind" of neighborhood SunnyHoney is looking for is... well, never-mind!

Quote:
Speaking of the original topic, any updates or are you still looking & deciding? (When you do arrive in MA, just think of the people you will already know through C-D!)
Since we're impressed with so many neighborhoods now we can just looking at homes for what they are instead of where they are, and currently we see a few great options in Sharon, one in Dover, one in Sherborn, and a couple in Sudbury. But now our pace has slowed down. We didn't want to rush on such a big decision just to get our kids enrolled in a school, so we've decided to let the boys spend a couple more months with their schoolmates and friends here and then try to be up to MA by Thanksgiving. And yes, it'll be pretty cool that I know some folks already!

Last edited by SunnyHoney; 08-29-2013 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 08-29-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Those things are fascinating, though! That design could not have been coincidental...and this is why men like to hang out at Home Depot, eh?
LOL!

Quote:
Since we're impressed with so many neighborhoods now we can just looking at homes for what they are instead of where they are, and currently we see a few great options in Sharon, one in Dover, one in Sherborn, and a couple in Sudbury. But now our pace has slowed down. We didn't want to rush on such a big decision just to get our kids enrolled in a school, so we've decided to let the boys spend a couple more months with their schoolmates and friends here and then try to be up to MA by Thanksgiving. And yes, it'll be pretty cool that I know some folks already!
That's great! You've picked some great areas and it sounds like it'll be a nice transition. If you can try to come up for a visit maybe around Columbus Day weekend, maybe checking a foliage map like this to ge the timing right: New England Foliage Map - Yankee Foliage - Your Source for New England Fall Foliage You don't want to miss one of the best parts about living in New England!

Old 08-29-2013, 04:29 PM

133 posts, read 261,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Sunny, is this the style of home you have in mind?

A newer construction home that looks well thought out and comfortable to live in:

3 Chadbourne Road, Lexington MA - Trulia

I'm picturing some fabulous entertaining happening there.
495neighbor, that would be my style of house.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:55 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,697,958 times
did you look into Dover or Wellesley althought if I were wealthy I would love to live in Concord or maybe Lexington

Old 08-29-2013, 05:16 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,649,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackshaw View Post

Old 08-29-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackshaw View Post
I somehow missed that post, 495neighbor. Yes, that house is very nice. It's got some cool angles, and the fireplace is gorgeous.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
did you look into Dover or Wellesley althought if I were wealthy I would love to live in Concord or maybe Lexington
Yes, thanks! We really liked Dover a lot. We're actually still considering a house there. Wellesley is nice, too, just nothing in our price range that fits us. Concord is so lovely, and Lexington has a ton on the market, so it's still an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts