Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 03:00 PM

154 posts, read 257,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
I don't know anyone at Greenwood, but I do recognize a few of the names on their waitlist. Everyone I know is at SS&T or Longfellow. One's at Bosse. If I really wanted to join one I'd just get onto both waitlists, but those clubs are too much green for me. I feel like we are outcasts because we swim at Atkinson.
Atkinson!? Shocking!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 03:47 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,816,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadstrailstris View Post
Atkinson!? Shocking!
I don't know if you were following the Affordability thread, but I gotta cut costs somewhere in order to save over $50k/year. Water is water... as long as it's chlorinated my family can swim in it.

The mom of my daughter's best friend turned her nose up at me when I told her I was going to try Sudbury Day after hearing good things about it. I think there are a few snobs around here, but I don't mind for the most part. It's funny people on C-D think I'm snobby, but then I think other people in Sudbury are snobby. I don't mind though - that's just the lifestyle food chain in action. There's always someone making and spending more money than you.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:33 PM

204 posts, read 286,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I think she told me in a PM that she bought a house in a neighborhood off of Marlboro Road, but I can't remember one hundred percent. I also don't remember specifically what street it was on.
Probably just as well... If she told you via PM, she probably didn't want it posted on a public thread.

Old 04-06-2016, 06:03 PM

154 posts, read 257,172 times
Quote:
I don't know if you were following the Affordability thread, but I gotta cut costs somewhere in order to save over $50k/year. Water is water... as long as it's chlorinated my family can swim in it.

The mom of my daughter's best friend turned her nose up at me when I told her I was going to try Sudbury Day after hearing good things about it. I think there are a few snobs around here, but I don't mind for the most part. It's funny people on C-D think I'm snobby, but then I think other people in Sudbury are snobby. I don't mind though - that's just the lifestyle food chain in action. There's always someone making and spending more money than you.

I haven't really found much of that type of attitude, but it's possible I'm just oblivious to it!

Old 04-06-2016, 06:34 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,033,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masshawk View Post
Probably just as well... If she told you via PM, she probably didn't want it posted on a public thread.
Convenient that I didn't "remember" exactly isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadstrailstris View Post
I haven't really found much of that type of attitude, but it's possible I'm just oblivious to it!
I've heard things like that from people I know in Sudbury. You're bound to have some snobs in every well to do town.

Old 04-06-2016, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Convenient that I didn't "remember" exactly isn't it?

I've heard things like that from people I know in Sudbury. You're bound to have some snobs in every well to do town.
Or maybe everyone's a snob here, myself included. The only people who notice it are the long time blue collar residents

Old 04-07-2016, 06:58 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,700,201 times
Quote:
Or maybe everyone's a snob here, myself included. The only people who notice it are the long time blue collar residents
FWIW, I know more than a few 1%ers who swear they're just lower middle class using the justification that there are still many people far richer than they are with fancier stuff. True to an extent, but it doesn't erase the fact that by every statistical measure they are rich.

People only buy in a place like Sudbury, Weston, Wellesley etc because they can. I know, I know, you'll claim people only buy in those towns because they have great schools and are safe, wonderful places to live. But it's the cumulative wealth of its residents that make those towns (and schools) so desirable. People who genuinely just want to live in a suburb have much much cheaper options at their disposal than Sudbury, so buying in a top 10 school district town is more about making a statement of wealth IMO.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:12 AM

161 posts, read 231,200 times
Quote:
I don't know anyone at Greenwood, but I do recognize a few of the names on their waitlist. Everyone I know is at SS&T or Longfellow. One's at Bosse. If I really wanted to join one I'd just get onto both waitlists, but those clubs are too much green for me. I feel like we are outcasts because we swim at Atkinson.
We like Atkinson! I'll take Atkinson any day over the snobs at Beede in Concord.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
FWIW, I know more than a few 1%ers who swear they're just lower middle class using the justification that there are still many people far richer than they are with fancier stuff. True to an extent, but it doesn't erase the fact that by every statistical measure they are rich.

People only buy in a place like Sudbury, Weston, Wellesley etc because they can. I know, I know, you'll claim people only buy in those towns because they have great schools and are safe, wonderful places to live. But it's the cumulative wealth of its residents that make those towns (and schools) so desirable. People who genuinely just want to live in a suburb have much much cheaper options at their disposal than Sudbury, so buying in a top 10 school district town is more about making a statement of wealth IMO.
So you agreed with my joke by eloquently stating that we're all snobs, haha. I don't think it's about making a statement of wealth so much as surrounding my family with people who are in the same socioeconomic class as we are. I didn't grow up here so I don't have any preconceived notions of what towns are wealthy other than the W's that I kept hearing about. I first noticed when people gave me strange/surprised looks at work after telling them I was buying a house in Sudbury. That's when I realized most people in my office think of that town as snobby right along with Wellesley and Wayland. Before that I was a regular guy from Natick. Now people seem to treat me differently and I don't like it. I actually feel uncomfortable telling people where I live when they ask me.

Here's why I moved to Sudbury: I know you disagree with me on this one, but I feel that kids growing up in a wealthier town have a higher chance of becoming successful and wealthy themselves. For me it really comes down to decreasing the chance that my kids will start hanging out with the wrong crowd.

Last edited by Parsec; 04-07-2016 at 07:38 AM..

Old 04-07-2016, 07:34 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,700,201 times
Quote:
So you agreed with my joke by eloquently stating that we're all snobs, haha. I don't think it's about making a statement of wealth so much as surrounding my family with people who are in the same socioeconomic class as we are. I know you disagree with me on this one, but I feel that kids growing up in a wealthier town have a higher chance of becoming successful and wealthy themselves. For me it really comes down to decreasing the chance that my kids will start hanging out with the wrong crowd.
I don't disagree so much as I'm not sure it makes a huge difference. A lot of the wealthy people I know grew up dirt poor in crappy neighborhoods which served as motivation to be successful. On the flip side, I know some kids who grew up in places like Sudbury and can barely hang onto a minimum wage job because they're so used to being spoon fed by mommy and daddy that the thought of doing actual work causes panic attacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts